My car died overnight-12v

DrSilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
went to bed it was charging fine. Woke up and the car was completely dead.. 12v battery most likely. Tow driver had to drag it out of my garage. On my way to dealership now.
I've had nothing but problems since buying In August.
Sponsored

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Sorry to hear that.

I assume, since you took delivery in August, that it has the updated 12v battery, and updated firmware.

It seems there’s still a bug or two lurking in that system

I’m interested to hear what the dealership says.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Sorry to hear that.

I assume, since you took delivery in August, that it has the updated 12v battery, and updated firmware.

It seems there’s still a bug or two lurking in that system

I’m interested to hear what the dealership says.

Don:

At this point I am wondering if it is more than just a 12v battery issue since we have seen so many - and seeing them now in newer build cars.

In my case, my 4s was still throwing electrical faults after I had my 12v battery replaced. It was only after I had my DC converter replaced that the car stopped throwing electrical faults and seem to be functioning normally (knock on wood).

I would recommend to anyone who has experienced 12v issues, or has them in the future, to have Porsche run a full diagnostic on the DC converter to ensure that it is not a bigger issue.

Just my $.02.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Don:

At this point I am wondering if it is more than just a 12v battery issue since we have seen so many - and seeing them now in newer build cars.

In my case, my 4s was still throwing electrical faults after I had my 12v battery replaced. It was only after I had my DC converter replaced that the car stopped throwing electrical faults and seem to be functioning normally (knock on wood).

I would recommend to anyone who has experienced 12v issues, or has them in the future, to have Porsche run a full diagnostic on the DC converter to ensure that it is not a bigger issue.

Just my $.02.
Agreed. I don’t have any idea where the “next” bugs are. They haven’t bitten me ... yet. But clearly there’s something else going on.

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
Agree - Regardless of your build date - I think its worth a call to your SA to check on updates. The WLG6 campaign that referenced the 12V battery discharge following vehicle charging issue has added additional vehicle VIN's several times in August.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10179278-0001.pdf

Last edited:

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree - Regardless of your build date - I think its worth a call to your SA to check on updates. The WLG6 campaign that is supposed to address the 12V battery discharge following vehicle charging issue has added additional vehicle VIN's several times in August. September updates are not yet listed.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10179278-0001.pdf

Tom:

In my case, my service advisor was clueless when it came to my 12v batteries. They thought I was crazy when I told them that my vehicle was still throwing electrical faults after having my 12v battery replaced. I ended up escalating up to Porsche NA in Atlanta, and they involved their master techs to investigate my issues. It was that team in Atlanta that identified my DC Converter issues and that ordered a replacement.

I dropped the car off today to have my windshield replaced, and I shared the details of my recent road trip to Houston from Denver. They were shocked that I could complete the drive because they had no clue of the Electrify America national charger footprint - this is the level of lack of knowledge of EV's we are dealing with at the service advisor level. Other dealerships may be different, but that is what I am facing.

My advice to owners facing 12v issues would be to escalate to Porsche NA if you are not getting the answers you need at a dealership level to feel comfortable with your Taycan.

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
My advice to owners facing 12v issues would be to escalate to Porsche NA if you are not getting the answers you need at a dealership level to feel comfortable with your Taycan.
Good advice, glad to hear your Taycan is getting sorted out.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good advice, glad to hear your Taycan is getting sorted out.

Tom:

It took over 2 months, but I feel I have the initial teething issues sorted out. The Houston road was a make or break kind of a event for me - if the car performed then I was going to be very happy that the issues had been sorted out. If the car crapped out somewhere in western Kansas or Oklahoma, then I would have initiated a buy back with Porsche NA.

Luckily for me, the road trip was a great success. Super boring drive, but the car handled it great. And, I got in a couple of audio books. Innodrive also takes the edge off a long drive like that.

@DrSilly : I hope you get your battery issues sorted, and it is not too major. The good thing is that this forum is an excellent resource for information.

OP
OP
DrSilly

DrSilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Tom:

It took over 2 months, but I feel I have the initial teething issues sorted out. The Houston road was a make or break kind of a event for me - if the car performed then I was going to be very happy that the issues had been sorted out. If the car crapped out somewhere in western Kansas or Oklahoma, then I would have initiated a buy back with Porsche NA.

Luckily for me, the road trip was a great success. Super boring drive, but the car handled it great. And, I got in a couple of audio books. Innodrive also takes the edge off a long drive like that.

@DrSilly : I hope you get your battery issues sorted, and it is not too major. The good thing is that this forum is an excellent resource for information.
Thanks for the advice. What number did you use to contact Porsche Atlanta? Do you have a specific point of contact there? I still have not heard from the dealership. Maybe I’ll hear back later today.

OP
OP
DrSilly

DrSilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
went to bed it was charging fine. Woke up and the car was completely dead.. 12v battery most likely. Tow driver had to drag it out of my garage. On my way to dealership now.
I've had nothing but problems since buying In August.
The dealership confirm a faulty 12v battery. They need approval from Porsche corporate before replacing it.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Tom:
I dropped the car off today to have my windshield replaced, and I shared the details of my recent road trip to Houston from Denver. They were shocked that I could complete the drive because they had no clue of the Electrify America national charger footprint - this is the level of lack of knowledge of EV's we are dealing with at the service advisor level. Other dealerships may be different, but that is what I am facing.
This right here is what still gives me pause about my 4S. When I bought the car it was painfully obvious I knew the ins and outs better than most of the folks at my dealership. It honestly scares the crap out of me buying a 6 figure car none of these guys know anything about. Thank god outside the software and app experience, the car has been flawless thus far (and now I just jinxed myself).

You would think they would be better trained to handle these cars, but lets be honest here, that's the risk of buying a car with a lot of tech and features from a company that doesn't make EV's. When people ask me about my car, and specifically about electric vehicles, I always recommend Tesla to them unless performance is the be all end all. They're easier to use and their repair team spends 100% of their time servicing EV's so there's rarely any mystery.

OP
OP
DrSilly

DrSilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Over a week later and Porsche still doesn't have a diagnosis and they are waiting on Germany to tell them what to do. They "suspect" its the 12V battery and that it will need to be replaces but since Porsche thought they had already fixed that problem (my VIN was not on original list) they are now worried that they didn't understand it the first time and are running test after test on my car.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@DrSilly my Taycan remains at the dealership - other than some questions from Porsche - no word on what they think it might be - given that this is still happening it’s clear Porsche doesn’t understand the ongoing issues - I believe they have fixed some problems but they aren’t done yet - now that one set of problems have been fixed remaining problems are now presenting themselves.

OP
OP
DrSilly

DrSilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Dealership finally got the "approval" from Germany to replace the battery which should happen today or tomorrow. Hopefully this fixes the issue for good. Has anyone heard of this issue happening again post a battery replacement?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Have we ever determined that this ONLY happens when the car is on the charger?

IOW: Has anyone ever had the 12V battery failure happen when the car is NOT on the charger?

(I understand the statistics might be skewed as I expect most everyone has the car on the charger whenever it is parked at home... But it would be interesting if ANYONE has EVER had a failure when the car was NOT on a charger...)
Sponsored