evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I wish there was a way to activate the passenger display when driving.
Getting tired of driving two sandbags around... :)
I like screens.
I'm sure there are two wires somewhere in the passenger seat harness between which a switch could be placed to simulate activation of the pressure switch in the seat. I suspect its as simple as that - although you would have to buckle the pass belt as well.

I did something similar for my Infiniti FX45 which refused to let you program the Nav System while the car was moving. I put a switch in the speed sensor line which fed the Nav system to temporarily fool the Nav system into thinking the car was not moving. In that case, flipping the switch broke the circuit between the speed sensor and the Nav system. That one made me pretty "famous" on the Infiniti forums! ;-)

If you want to come up with the electrical schematic for the car (Pass restraint system) I'll be happy to look at it and see what options we might have...
Sponsored

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is another use for the Phone Mount. Adding a whole 'nother 15" display to the car!

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount for Taycan Console 20200927_110215

Having SO MANY ISSUES with the Andoid versions of the Porsche Connect and Porsche Charging NA apps I figured maybe I should bring my iPad so I also have access to the IOS apps on my 1400 mile trip tomorrow. Then it occurs to me - "Why not bring my tablet mount as well?" and just use the 3D printed phone mount to hold it (instead of my phone)...

I installed and tested the IOS apps and they appear to be only MARGINALLY better than the Android versions - but I'll take whatever I can get!

It should be noted that NONE of the Porsche Apps work well with tablets.

- Porsche Good To Know App: Stuck in Landscape Mode and will not rotate
- Porsche Connect: Stuck in Portrait Mode, does not use the screen, and will not rotate
- Porsche Charging NA: Stuck in Portrait Mode, does not use the entire screen, and will not rotate

Additionally, the Electrify America App is really brain dead wrt to Tablets. Not only is it stuck in Portrait mode but it is also very small and it looks like it generates its own tiny controls/keyboard which can not be enlarged...

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Congratulations to those for which the Porsche PCM/Nav screen offers anything and everything they could ever want!

However, the possibilities for what can be displayed on a smart phone are virtually limitless.

...and I like having the additional screen and interface available - even if it just keeps my phone handy when I stop for a beverage or a charge.
Admit to occasionally using both the car NAV system and a phone map, but we frequently drive in remote areas without cell phone reception. Have had car GPS NAV systems in every car owned in the last 20 years and appreciate their ability to work in the middle of nowhere. Satellite traffic has been on all of them for the last 15 years. We find the Taycan NAV the easiest to use yet - just talk to her and she looks in your phonebook for destinations.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Admit to occasionally using both the car NAV system and a phone map, but we frequently drive in remote areas without cell phone reception. Have had car GPS NAV systems in every car owned in the last 20 years and appreciate their ability to work in the middle of nowhere. Satellite traffic has been on all of them for the last 15 years. We find the Taycan NAV the easiest to use yet - just talk to her and she looks in your phonebook for destinations.
Google Maps will also work in remote locations if you preload/download/cache the maps. It also responds to voice navigation requests. That being said, I always prefer to use the onboard Nav system if possible. I typically run Waze as a backup on a secondary device (just for police alerts) - you don't even need to program Waze with a destination to do this.

Also, I just finished a 1400 mile road trip. 7 charging stops each way. I can absolutely tell you I would NEVER rely on the Porsche Nav system to plan my charging stops! (...and I also have the PIRM option). ABRP is a much more reliable and efficient planning option... I'll use ABRP to plan my stops BEFORE a trip them push those as "favorites" directly into the Nav system via "Porsche Connect" (when it works). Be advised you also have to convert those addresses into "chargers" once inside the car as the Porsche Software won't recognize the EXACT SAME ADDRESS as a charger location unless you "Find Nearby Chargers" -> "Porsche Charging Service" and replace with the exact same address!

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What are you putting in for reference consumption at 65mph in A Better Route Planner?

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What are you putting in for reference consumption at 65mph in A Better Route Planner?
I just let ABRP use the default setting for the "Taycan Turbo S". I typically drive "10 over" and the default setting seems to be OK.

The most important thing is you NEVER want to plan your arrival for 10% SOC unless the charger density is VERY high. I had 2 of my 7 locations be completely unusable. Even calling EA could not get ANY of the chargers at each of these locations to come online. You always want to make sure you have charge in the bank in case you can't charge at all at the designation charging location. You may have to drive 50-60 miles to the next station and you don't want to have to go backwards!

I let ABRP calculate using its default 10% arrival SOC but I always "overcharge" to at least 85% regardless of what ABRP suggests. (I may actually change my "min arrival SOC" setting for future planning)

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
A bit off topic: has anyone else considered fabricating an insert for one of the Taycan cup holders upon which could be attached/mounted a magnetic qi charger for an iPhone?

It should be easily removable, take up very little space and allow view of the iPhone screen when needed (not often in my experience).
Sponsored