Love my Taycan...but not having fun.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I don't disagree, but I also don't expect the Taycan to be radically different than other Porsches. Obviously the operational issues (12V, random errors on the dashboard etc) are unacceptable, but anything related to any app or updates or anything else is not something I'm particularly worried about. Every buyer is entitled to be concerned about whatever they'd like though. Calling for every owner to care about anything other than how it looks and drives is a bit over the top.

And android users would be better off with Audi rather than tilting at windmills with Porsche. Apple is Porsche's focus.

Yeah, the Apple iOS software ecosystem with Porsche, and particularly the Taycan is a dumpster fire as well. I'm glad you're not worried, but we shouldn't be paying for features that don't work. Your attitude reminds me of a family member I had back when navigation was first becoming more common in vehicles. His spouses nav system stopped working, and he acted like it wasn't a big deal because you could just use a map and it too didn't impact the way the vehicle looks or drives. Nevermind that it was a very expensive upgrade (and often still is). People deserve what they pay for.

Living in the Desert Southwest, I enjoy getting my car cooled down about 10 minutes before I walk out to it when leaving work. It's a luxury I have grown to expect from higher end vehicles at the price point, it's not a Tesla thing at all. Sadly, I rarely can use this feature because the Porsche apps are dogshit. I've never had to download and reinstall an app more than this one. Perhaps worse, getting the free charging that I paid for at EA locations is a pain in the ass because of the software support, and there are times I just give up and pay because wasting anymore time getting it going defeats the whole purpose of having a car that can rapidly charge in the first place. Thankfully EA has always refunded me, but I shouldn't have to waste my time calling for a refund in the first place.

People pay a lot of money for this car, and these are features that are advertised that we paid for. I understand for some users, this just isn't an issue and they will never use it, just like many features on any car. But for others, including myself and many other's on this website, Porsche really needs to step up their game or don't promise us features that don't work (mobile hot spot anyone?).
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I live in a condo and was disappointed that I wouldn’t be able to take advantage of the apps and connectivity to the car since my parking spot has no signal. I guess for me I should look on the bright side that I’m not missing much?!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
porsche should fix the electrical faults with this electric car before turning their attention to software issues - it would be nice if the 12V battery wouldn’t drop offline during charging thereby bricking the vehicle.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Which is why I wish the e-tron GT came out first, as it'd be cheaper than the Taycan, and it would check all the boxes a lot of the all-EV buyers are looking for. MMI has always been better than PCM, and Audi benefits more from the resource sharing with the rest of VAG. Porsche sells far fewer cars.

I kind of doubt we see that kind of response when the GT drops or would have if it dropped earlier, and I doubt you would have gotten a lot of Model S converts. The eTron SUV is beautiful car and was supposed to poach a lot of Model X customer's priced even less. It is one of the lowest selling vehicles in North America that Audi makes in a segment that dominates US sales. Rumors are the GT is still supposed to start around 100K with only 250 mile range (so more expensive than a Model S with half the range), and as usual be optioned to oblivion. I'm actually really pumped to see more info about it as it get's closer to release, especially since it shares a lot with the Taycan, but brand and performance prestige matters. Audi is no slouch, but it's not a Porsche and the response so far to their EV lineup has been somewhat lackluster (unlike the Porsche).

Being a Tesla guy, I still always wanted a Porsche. When deciding, I nearly went with a Boxster GTS and hadn't really entertained the Taycan since I already have an EV. My dealer saw my Model S and convinced me to take a 4S for a test drive, and the rest is history. People buying this car are buying it because it drives like a Porsche, not because they wanted an EV nicer than a Tesla. To be fair, Tesla makes a much better top to bottom EV experience, Porsche makes a much better car and driving experience. The handful of 4S owners in my area all are previous Porsche owners, me being the only virgin, and they all share the same gripes about the software as me.

Last edited:

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
porsche should fix the electrical faults with this electric car before turning their attention to software issues - it would be nice if the 12V battery wouldn’t drop offline during charging thereby bricking the vehicle.

No doubt, but I doubt the same people working on their 12V batteries are the same people working on their software. Although, there's been some thoughts that using the app causes the 12V issue to occur more frequently, in which case, maybe they should prioritize software?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I kind of doubt we see that kind of response when the GT drops or would have if it dropped earlier, and I doubt you would have gotten a lot of Model S converts. The eTron SUV is beautiful car and was supposed to poach a lot of Model X customer's priced even less. It is one of the lowest selling vehicles in North America that Audi makes in a segment that dominates US sales. Rumors are the GT is still supposed to start around 100K with only 250 mile range (so more expensive than a Model S with half the range), and as usual be optioned to oblivion. I'm actually really pumped to see more info about it as it get's closer to release, especially since it shares a lot with the Taycan, but brand and performance prestige matters. Audi is no slouch, but it's not a Porsche and the response so far to their EV lineup has been somewhat lackluster (unlike the Porsche).
The e-tron GT is a 4S with Performance Battery Plus. With a better package (hatchback). It'll be at least $20k less than a similarly optioned 4S. For parallels you can compare the SQ5 and Macan GTS. There will be plenty of options the Porsche has that the Audi wont. (I'd bet PDCC will be Porsche-only).

And the GT will have Daytona Gray as an option, my fav. :p I'm also biased, as I've owned 2 R8's.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Hi @daveo4EV, when do you think you will be at liberty to provide us with an update on Porsche’s promising approach to get the 12V issue fixed?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I’m posting all that know - last I heard from porsche was thursday from my local dealer service manager - porsche germany “had no update at this time”

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
IMHO: The multitude of problems we are seeing with the Taycan have NOTHING to do with it being an EV. This is Porsche's failure on so many things software related. I don't know who is writing software at Porsche (Nav System, Vehicle Firmware, Android Apps, IOS Apps, Web Based Connectivity) but they really need to be taken out back and be given a beat down. The manager(s) who are responsible for this crap need to be fired. Many of us have paid close to a quarter of a million dollars for our cars. This kind of failure is inexcusable in ANY vehicle let alone one with this lineage.

There is NO EXCUSE for these types of issues. Most have absolutely NOTHING to do with EV Technology. It is $HIT programming, project management, and lack of respect for their customers!

We ALL need to continually be opening tech support cases for EACH and EVERY problem we encounter. We ALL need to make sure Porsche knows this kind of crap is unacceptable. We ALL need to continue to follow up each and every incident we file with them.

There is some hope, that since most of this appears to be software related, that we can get updates in the future to resolve most of this trash. ...but we ALL need to be holding Porsche responsible for this mess!
This is where a number of ICE manufacturers will struggle. The software aspects in EV production are massive and essentially you need to be a tech company first and a manufacturer second. Most of the ICE production to date has relied on third party OEM systems branded and tailored for that platform but NOT highly integrated as one eco-system. Porsche and others will have to invest more and more in this space and probably end up acquiring to resolve this. Tesla (and all their faults) largely approached this as a software challenge first and have struggled more with the manufacturing processes (imo).

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@Schlossj

but I refuse to take any sh*t from anyone in the future that wishes to discuss how bad Tesla‘s are and Porsche would “never do that sort of crap” - we have evidence to the contrary
I have to disagree here as this is a broad brush. As noted elsewhere and from our own personal experiences, yes all brands have pop up problems and the Gen1 model is always going to be quirky. And yes, forums as well tend to highlight the worst and only the best leaving out the big middle section of owners. I will say my Taycan experience has been remarkably uneventful of than some of the disappointments around infotainment quirks and just outdated approach to the apps. So I don't have the struggles a couple of the folks have with major gremlins in their new car. But we're so damn tired of Tesla's poor customer service that I can't even recommend the M3's to people. They wanted to charge me $90 for taking our MX in under warranty to explore problems with the doors refusing to open and they couldn't recreate it. "You need to give us a window to look at the logs" because the range of "happened all day on X" was too big for them to search through. Yes, they took off the charge when I pushed them but that's on top of refusing to take a call to discuss concerns, requiring we use a crappy app to schedule service, no one answering phones to confirm details about the service appointments, and on, and on, and on.

So yeah, all brands will have a gremlin. And all brands have their share of other customer satisfaction issues. But Tesla, in my eyes, is still a whole other level of terrible execution.

Tcar20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There is likely a some issues with a completely new car model. And when the step is as large as from an ICE car to a fully electric, then it will be even worse. There are several of the new Polestar 2 in Sweden and Norway that have reported 12 volt issues with dead cars and bricked. Tesla have had these issues as well earlier.

I absolutely agree it all depends on how the Manufacturer deals with these issues upfront. The dealers are in a very unfortunate spot since they hardly got any training for the cars if they normally sell ICE models. And I have very little confidence about the Volkswagen Group addressing these issues. The new ID3 is launched but not with complete SW. Taycan is quite Bad with SW. And Audi is also in a bad shape. Check the video of this guy! The car is not even watertight! And Audi and the dealer just do not address the issues.

Compare that to Polestar that have had some issues, but they have proactively contacted new owners to advise them to be observant nd contact the service guys if needed.

Porsche seem to take the Ostrich approach and just bury their head in the sand!
I fully agree on ostrich behavior...put ghosting behavior in there too—Porsche USA staff that I got a involved with some of the previously mentioned issues, just disappeared.

Teething problems are to be expected; subpar customer service was unexpected and inexcusable. Porsche NA needs to be on this.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
There is NO reason that Porsche couldn't have done so much better on all the software issues we are seeing. They did a really good job on the "BIG STUFF" (power, chassis, performance, comfort) but they totally screwed up so much of the "EASY STUFF"... The same kind of stuff you might find in any car.

These things that they messed up generally have very little to do with the actual EV power train or technology. These are largely software issues. The same kind of software you might have with any car: Nav System, Android apps, IOS apps, web based apps. ...and they don't appear to be in any rush to resolve anything!

There is no excuse for this. There is no reason this needs to be this way. They don't deserve a pass on this!

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag

Being a Tesla guy, I still always wanted a Porsche. When deciding, I nearly went with a Boxster GTS and hadn't really entertained the Taycan since I already have an EV. My dealer saw my Model S and convinced me to take a 4S for a test drive, and the rest is history. People buying this car are buying it because it drives like a Porsche, not because they wanted an EV nicer than a Tesla. To be fair, Tesla makes a much better top to bottom EV experience, Porsche makes a much better car and driving experience. The handful of 4S owners in my area all are previous Porsche owners, me being the only virgin, and they all share the same gripes about the software as me.
Everyone shares the same gripes. Where we differ is in our perception of their importance & the urgency of getting them fixed. The nav in my Macan (2015) is "unusable" to my wife but I have a bunch of things stored so I don't really mind it (entering destinations is absurdly difficult/slow).

What I'm reading here totally mimics what I read on the Macan boards in 2015. New-to-the-brand customers screaming, Porsche veterans shrugging. I was a screamer in 2015 & will be more of a shrugger when my Taycan arrives. You should are how bad Porsche Car Connect was in 2015! They're getting a lot better quickly, but for many of you it won't be fast enough & you'll just to Audi or Mercedes in the next couple of years.

For me, the more I drove Porsches, the more I resent ever having to drive anything else. Took the kids to school this morning in my wife's Benz & couldn't believe how mushy the steering was. I hope Porsche gets it right, but even if the UI software continues to suck, it won't be that big a deal to me. I'll just use CarPlay.

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Got a message from my SA today given my consistently inconsistent experience. I’ll give him a ton of credit for trying:

I have called Porsche Connect Support four times today and have spent over 3 total hours on hold and was not able to get in contact with a representative. I am going to call back tomorrow.

I separately received an email from our Area Trainer stating that Porsche Connect has a planned maintenance on Wednesday morning for both the Porsche Connect Store & My Porsche for all Connect markets and all Connect vehicles. Not sure if this will fix/impact what’s going on with your account, but will ask once when I am able to speak with a representative.
So on one side, I love my SA. And he’s seeing how poor the service is from Connect Support, hopefully he’s able to make enough noise. On the other side...I’m back to having no car / unable to login from the app and the web page is back to forgetting I have a vehicle. Until the next time I login and happen to get it correctly. I’m wondering if they have a bad distributed cache or something...if it’s all code, you have to really try to be this bad!

And on the other side, they’re doing a planned maintenance Wednesday (not sure whose morning) so I expect some more people will be kicked off. But I really hope this solves the problem for all of us!

And totally unrelated to Connect, I took the car out for a drive tonight and I still can’t stop smiling. Damn I love this car!

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Got a message from my SA today given my consistently inconsistent experience. I’ll give him a ton of credit for trying:

So on one side, I love my SA. And he’s seeing how poor the service is from Connect Support, hopefully he’s able to make enough noise. On the other side...I’m back to having no car / unable to login from the app and the web page is back to forgetting I have a vehicle. Until the next time I login and happen to get it correctly. I’m wondering if they have a bad distributed cache or something...if it’s all code, you have to really try to be this bad!

And on the other side, they’re doing a planned maintenance Wednesday (not sure whose morning) so I expect some more people will be kicked off. But I really hope this solves the problem for all of us!

And totally unrelated to Connect, I took the car out for a drive tonight and I still can’t stop smiling. Damn I love this car!
There is a known problem where Porsche is misdirecting US customers to the GB/UK servers. If this happens, you won't properly see your car and the services associated with it. This is yet another software "feature" we can thank Porsche for...

Everyone (in the USA) should know about this "workaround":

If you use the default login for the "My Porsche" connect portal (login.porsche.com) and you end up at the GB/UK servers ("https://connect-portal.porsche.com/core/gb/en_GB/services...") logout and try forcing your login to the US servers with the following URL: https://login.porsche.com/login/us/en_US#

If Porsche puts you on the GB servers you will have no online access to your car...
Sponsored