Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
On a road trip at the moment, car was charging overnight in a multi storey car park. This morning at 430 I get a call from Vodafone telematics saying the car had an attempted theft. Called the police to check it and car was fine. Got there this morning and the 12 volt dreaded load of power issue! Can’t even open the car with the key! AA on its way to help out..

Porsche Taycan Car is Dead image
Sponsored

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Well looks like the battery problem happens even if the car is locked.

Sombody wanted to know if anybody in the UK had 12V battery problem. Think this is the first UK 12V battery problem i've seen on this forum at least.

At the end of the day I think the consensus is that its a faulty batch of 12V batteries and there is nothing wrong with the car or the software, it just needs a new battery.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The AA mechanic knew of the problem so I’d assume it is now a common issue also in the uk. He followed a procedure from his iPad and got me up and running. Booking car in for service with Porsche.

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Heading up to Leeds Skelton to try that charger and get some grub. What a crappy day being stranded before an important meeting, arriving 45 minutes late because of a battery/software issue. Disappointing that Porsche are not proactively recalling the car to have it fixed.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@Gogs sorry to hear about this in your vehicle - but first confirmed case outside the US - appears to be a problem with the world wide fleet.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Heading up to Leeds Skelton to try that charger and get some grub. What a crappy day being stranded before an important meeting, arriving 45 minutes late because of a battery/software issue. Disappointing that Porsche are not proactively recalling the car to have it fixed.
Damn! not reassuring at all.
I feel for you... Really annoying this problem that can happen in various circumstances.
I hope this is not a side effect of the Taycan getting contaminated by the Coronavirus too!!

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
... Disappointing that Porsche are not proactively recalling the car to have it fixed.
There's no point in having the car brought in to Porsche to fix it... because Porsche doesn't yet know what is actually causing it. They are actively working on it, of course, but so far, there's no correction known.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
There's no point in having the car brought in to Porsche to fix it... because Porsche doesn't yet know what is actually causing it. They are actively working on it, of course, but so far, there's no correction known.
Is there any chance you think that they would change the battery? I wonder if there is a possibility of damaging or causing a ''premature wear'' on the original 12V battery after doing the rescue maneuver with the jump start booster...

DrSilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Is there any chance you think that they would change the battery? I wonder if there is a possibility of damaging or causing a ''premature wear'' on the original 12V battery after doing the rescue maneuver with the jump start booster...
My battery was replaced yesterday by my dealership after it being at the dealership for 1.5 weeks and going through multiple tests. Battery replacement was recommended by Germany.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
1st off you are _NOT_ jumping the battery - it’s isolated behind a relay that has tripped if your car is in this state - you couldn’t power the 12V battery directly even if you tried.

when you “jump” a Taycan you are powering the 12V electrical bus so that the main computer is “powered” - once the main computer is rebooted - it controls the relays and brings the rest of the vehicle back online in an orderly fashion - and trips the relay to reconnect the 12V to the main bus - and then when the car detects the 12V is low - the main computer instructs the big battery to charge the 12V battery via a dc/dc converter…

you are not stressing the battery by rebooting the vehicle with an external 12V power source.

this more like your lap top battery dying, and it comes back alive when you plug it into the wall - when the USB bus comes back alive after the reboot your phone/mouse will receive power via the USB cable they are plugged into…the main 800V battery and 12V battery are isolated behind computer controlled relays - they are not “reattached” to the vehicle power bus until the main computer determines it’s safe and effective - when you “jump” a Taycan with a 12V power source you are powering the main computer; _NOT_ charging the 12V battery - only the main computer and Battery Management Software (BMS) can direct power to the 12V battery.

the main issue here is:
why is the 12V battery being allowed to die when there is plenty of power in the main battery or external powersource via the charge ports? the car should not let the 12V die ever - cause it bricks the vehicle - it should not let it die especially when it has oddles of power on tap - it would be one thing if the main battery was low (5% or less) and not plugged into an external power source. But so far everyone’s main battery has lots of power and there has even been an external power source available. It’s like dying due to dehydration while swimming in a mountain stream of crystal clear water - the vehicle has plenty of power to direct to the 12V battery, but it’s still letting it go offline.
the jump process here is not like a traditional ICE where there is a lot of power being provided to an electrical started motor.

Last edited:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I do not believe the 12v battery can be damaged by “jump starting” the 12v battery (assuming you use devices within the specs of a 12v lithium battery).

If the 12v battery is damaged, the car will put up an alert, which will occur every time you start the car. (First hand experience) Original part number battery could be damaged by repeated 12v failures. I assume the changes to the 12v battery firmware will prevent that damage.

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The car is going in anyway for some campaign work on Friday. Added this to the list.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Damn, that’s bad news gog, not good being the first in the U.K. ( on this forum) had yours already had the new software ( I think I remember you did). Mine has been in the dealer the last few days but no more software updates available at the moment