First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Fellow Taycan owners,

I just thought I would share another successful trip report with the Taycan!

One my wife's and I"d favorite food places is Bob's Well Bread in Los Alamos, CA:

I've been itching for another long "test trip" with the Taycan so Saturday morning wife and I packed up the Taycan (w/my full road warrior kit) and our dog Cooper and we set out to achieve fresh baked goods and a leisurely drive through California.

The Drive to Bob's Well Bread was uneventful - we left home at 100% SOC - and I purposely "under drove" the speed limits to see how well the Taycan could do. I was in full range mode, and drove under the speed limit by 2-3 mph the entire way -except for some rare bursts of speed to pass or get out of the way of other's tail gating me.

The Taycan did spectacular! Temperatures were mild 63F-78F and we ran climate control in eco mode for the entire route. Efficiency was better than I ever achieved with my 2013 Model S P85D - and came in at 305 wh/mile - see picture below.

Porsche Taycan Trip Report - Aptos, CA to Los Alamos, CA to Aptos, CA - w/Data Bob's Well Bread segment Data

The Drive to Bob's well bread used 72% SOC (arriving at 28% SOC) with 78 miles "left" on the range meter in the center of the dash display. This places the Taycan firmly in the 280 mile range category - and strangely enough the exact distance was 201.9 miles - which is the Taycan's EPA rating. We we drove the EPA distance and arrived with 28% battery left over.

Importantly the Porsche navigation system originally estimated we'd arrive @ Bob's WB with 21% SOC - but given my gentle driving we actually managed to arrive @ 28% SOC - a real gain in range due to being very judicious on the throttle and average speed. If you're driving 280 miles or less and the Porsche NAV estimate says you'll arrive with 5% or more SOC I'm pretty sure the Taycan can do it.

one of the reason for this trip was to "test" Porsche NAV battery % estimate - and I found on this trip the estimates to be rock solid. Which makes the porsche nav a great EV planning tool!

Based on this experience I would get in a Taycan and easily drive 260-270 miles in mild conditions with no problem as long as I knew the charging landscape as to where I was heading.

Bob's also has two L2 chargers - and while we ordered lunch (they were quite busy) and baked goods I used my 80 amp TeslaTap to charge from the 40 amp Tesla L2 destination charger - during our stay at Bob's Well Bread we managed to go from an SOC% of 28 to 40% when we left.

Porsche Taycan Trip Report - Aptos, CA to Los Alamos, CA to Aptos, CA - w/Data IMG_2055

The next segment of the trip was the real reason for the trip - I wanted to try my hand at some 350 kW goodness. My original plan had been to stop @ the Pismo Beach EA chargers, but given our stay at Bob's had taken longer than planned - we had enough battery to make it all the way to Paso Robles Bank of America EA Chargers - they had good rankings in the Plugshare app and importantly listed 350 kW chargers.

Porsche Navigation said we'd arrive with 14% SOC at Paso Robles - and we managed the trip (including an uphill segment) and arrived at the Paso Robles EA chargers at 18% SOC (again due to range mode and limiting our speed to slightly lower than posted limits).

Porsche Taycan Trip Report - Aptos, CA to Los Alamos, CA to Aptos, CA - w/Data IMG_2056

I have to say this trip yielded my best EA charging experience ever!!!
  • Activation via the Charge America app - after failing with Porsche Connect app (it didn't show any chargers to activate)
  • Charge rate as you can see was 242.82 kW to start with
  • And at the end of the session I made sure the vehicle was fully unlocked and the keyFob was in my pocket and the charging connector came out the first time.
  • 100% success and such a fast charging experience.
When the 350 kW chargers work the experience is stunningly good! We stayed exactly 30 minutes (the included free session) and managed to charge from from 18% SOC to 88% SOC in 30 mm 53 sec - and we delivered 67 kWh to the battery in that time for an average charge rate of 130 kW - I have never in 7 years of owning an EV charged to nearly 90% SOC in 30 minutes.

I initially got 242 and in various checking I peaked at 254 kW (nearly the 270 kW limit) but when checking later it had tapered to 150 kW or less - I don't have data for the entire session, but I do have data from various points and I've interpolated the "missing data" points - below you can see the graph of KW charge rate vs. battery SOC% - from my charging session the Taycan maintained a healthy 150 kW charge rate right up to about 70% SOC - and then started tapering…I'm not sure if the car was limiting charge rate or the EA station was limiting charge rate because I thought the rate could be above 200 kW until at least 60% - it doesn't really matter because nearly 90% SOC in 30 minutes is just great - and my wife and I both felt a bit rushed while we walked the dog to get back to the car at the 30 minute mark…

Porsche Taycan Trip Report - Aptos, CA to Los Alamos, CA to Aptos, CA - w/Data Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 2.15.35 PM

The trip from Paso back our home was uneventful and since the Porsche nav system estimated we'd arrive home with 39% SOC - I might have driven faster than some posted limits - we eventually arrived home with 31% SOC after clearly driving in a spirited manner - I believe it would've been trivial to achieve the predicted battery SOC% with the Porsche nav.

the final trip was 405.9 miles round trip @ 339 wh/Mile overall consumption - still pretty good efficiency wise even with some spirited driving.

What are my take aways from this trip?
  • This trip is further confirmation that the EPA numbers are easily beaten.
  • I'd be comfortable pushing the Taycan to 280-290 miles range on a full battery on normal US highway driving
  • Taycan's a great road trip car - comfortable and quiet
  • when EA chargers work there is nothing better on the market for EV fast charging - Porsche/Audi/VW are onto something if they get the network to be reliable
  • the Porsche NAV's estimated battery SOC is quite accurate - you can trust what the Nav system says your % SOC is going to be at the destination if you abide by the speed limits and route
  • I spent $0.22 to charge for the 53 second over-run on the 30 minutes included session - Porsche included $7.50 of EA charging for my one session.
  • the combination of an L2 charging stop w/TeslaTap while we ate lunch (90 minute stop) and a 30 min fast charging stop made a 406 mile trip virtually painless
  • 30 minutes of fast charging taking the Taycan to nearly 90% SOC really isn't that bad of a stop - that means for 1 hour a day (2 30 minute stops) you can easily drive the Taycan nearly 750 miles in a single day (250 miles from home, 250 miles from fast charge stop #1, 250 miles from fast charge stop #2)
I had zero issues on this trip and EA behaved marvelously!!! My first time! I'd still like to understand why the charge rate topped out at 150 kW starting at about 40% SOC - but 150 kW is still super fast and better than you'll do at most Tesla Superchargers based on my 7 years of experience.

Last edited:

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
great recap.......what’s your best guess of miles you could achieve going 5-10 over speed limit highway only?

Fellow Taycan owners,

I just thought I would share another successful trip report with the Taycan!

One my wife's and I"d favorite food places is Bob's Well Bread in Los Alamos, CA:

I've been itching for another long "test trip" with the Taycan so Saturday morning wife and I packed up the Taycan (w/my full road warrior kit) and our dog Cooper and we set out to achieve fresh baked goods and a leisurely drive through California.

The Drive to Bob's Well Bread was uneventful - we left home at 100% SOC - and I purposely "under drove" the speed limits to see how well the Taycan could do. I was in full range mode, and drove under the speed limit by 2-3 mph the entire way -except for some rare bursts of speed to pass or get out of the way of other's tail gating me.

The Taycan did spectacular! Temperatures were mild 63F-78F and we ran climate control in eco mode for the entire route. Efficiency was better than I ever achieved with my 2013 Model S P85D - and came in at 305 wh/mile - see picture below.

Bob's Well Bread segment Data.jpg's Well Bread segment Data.jpg

The Drive to Bob's well bread used 72% SOC (arriving at 28% SOC) with 78 miles "left" on the range meter in the center of the dash display. This places the Taycan firmly in the 280 mile range category - and strangely enough the exact distance was 201.9 miles - which is the Taycan's EPA rating. We we drove the EPA distance and arrived with 28% battery left over.

Importantly the Porsche navigation system originally estimated we'd arrive @ Bob's WB with 21% SOC - but given my gentle driving we actually managed to arrive @ 28% SOC - a real gain in range due to being very judicious on the throttle and average speed.

Based on this experience I would get in a Taycan and easily drive 260-270 miles in mild conditions with no problem as long as I knew the charging landscape as to where I was heading.

Bob's also has two L2 chargers - and while we ordered lunch (they were quite busy) and baked goods I used my 80 amp TeslaTap to charge from the 40 amp Tesla L2 destination charger - during our stay at Bob's Well Bread we managed to go from an SOC% of 28 to 40% when we left.

IMG_2055.jpg

The next segment of the trip was the real reason for the trip - I wanted to try my hand at some 350 kW goodness. My original plan had been to stop @ the Pismo Beach EA chargers, but given our stay at Bob's had taken longer than planned - we had enough battery to make it all the way to Paso Robles Bank of America EA Chargers - they had good rankings in the Plugshare app and importantly listed 350 kW chargers.

Porsche Navigation said we'd arrive with 14% SOC at Paso Robles - and we managed the trip (including an uphill segment) and arrived at the Paso Robles EA chargers at 18% SOC (again due to range mode and limiting our speed to slightly lower than posted limits).

IMG_2056.jpeg

I have to say this trip yielded my best EA charging experience ever!!!
  • Activation via the Charge America app - after failing with Porsche Connect app (it didn't show any chargers to activate)
  • Charge rate as you can see was 242.82 kW to start with
  • And at the end of the session I made sure the vehicle was fully unlocked and the keyFob was in my pocket and the charging connector came out the first time.
  • 100% success and such a fast charging experience.
When the 350 kW chargers work the experience is stunningly good! We stayed exactly 30 minutes (the included free session) and managed to charge from from 18% SOC to 88% SOC in 30 mm 53 sec - and we delivered 67 kWh to the battery in that time for an average charge rate of 130 kW - I have never in 7 years of owning an EV charged to nearly 90% SOC in 30 minutes.

I initially got 242 and in various checking I peaked at 254 kW (nearly the 270 kW limit) but when checking later it had tapered to 150 kW or less - I don't have data for the entire session, but I do have data from various points and I've interpolated the "missing data" points - below you can see the graph of KW charge rate vs. battery SOC% - from my charging session the Taycan maintained a healthy 150 kW charge rate right up to about 70% SOC - and then started tapering…I'm not sure if the car was limiting charge rate or the EA station was limiting charge rate because I thought the rate could be above 200 kW until at least 60% - it doesn't really matter because nearly 90% SOC in 30 minutes is just great - and my wife and I both felt a bit rushed while we walked the dog to get back to the car at the 30 minute mark…

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 2.15.35 PM.png

The trip from Paso back our home was uneventful and since the Porsche nav system estimated we'd arrive home with 39% SOC - I might have driven faster than some posted limits - we eventually arrived home with 31% SOC after clearly driving in a spirited manner - I believe it would've been trivial to achieve the predicted battery SOC% with the Porsche nav.

the final trip was 405.9 miles round trip @ 339 wh/Mile overall consumption - still pretty good efficiency wise even with some spirited driving.

What are my take aways from this trip?
  • This trip is further confirmation that the EPA numbers are easily beaten.
  • I'd be comfortable pushing the Taycan to 280-290 miles range on a full battery on normal US highway driving
  • Taycan's a great road trip car - comfortable and quiet
  • when EA chargers work there is nothing better on the market for EV fast charging - Porsche/Audi/VW are onto something if they get the network to be reliable
  • the Porsche NAV's estimated battery SOC is quite accurate - you can trust what the Nav system says your % SOC is going to be at the destination if you abide by the speed limits and route
  • I spent $0.22 to charge for the 53 second over-run on the 30 minutes included session - Porsche included $7.50 of EA charging for my one session.
  • the combination of an L2 charging stop w/TeslaTap while we ate lunch (90 minute stop) and a 30 min fast charging stop made a 406 mile trip virtually painless
  • 30 minutes of fast charging taking the Taycan to nearly 90% SOC really isn't that bad of a stop - that means for 1 hour a day (2 30 minute stops) you can easily drive the Taycan nearly 750 miles in a single day (250 miles from home, 250 miles from fast charge stop #1, 250 miles from fast charge stop #2)
I had zero issues on this trip and EA behaved marvelously!!! My first time! I'd still like to understand why the charge rate topped out at 150 kW starting at about 40$ SOC - but 150 kW is still super fast and better than you'll do at most Tesla Superchargers based on my 7 years of experience.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@TheFutre at normal US highway speeds (65 mph) I'd humbly suggest 235-250 would bring you in at 5% SOC - be remember speed kills range, and it's not linear; faster you go the worse the consumption gets geometrically…it more expensive adding 10 mph from 60-70 mph, than 10 mph from 50-60 mph - and it gets worse from there…
  • from the EA charger @ Paso to my home was 125 miles
  • I left at 88% SOC
  • Porsche NAV estimated 39% SOC @ arrival
  • and I arrived at 31% SOC - so I "burned" an extra 8% SOC driving "fast" in 125 miles…
I would look at this differently - it's not how fast you can go - it's how much SOC you'll have at your destination - if Porsche NAV is estimating 15% or more - drive however you want to get there - if Porsche NAV is estimating 15% or less at your destination - hold back on the speed a bit (just a bit) until you've covered about 1/2 the distance, then you can probably add back in some speed…

also if you start burning the destination "buffer" in the nav - you can always "back off" - the Porsche NAV was really really good about adjusting the estimate as I drove, my wife and I watched it "tick" away 1% at a time - I remember one section of road where I really stretched the Taycan's "legs" and lost 2% in less than 2 miles…but OMG that car is awesome.

I saw 39% when I left Paso Robles and knew I could drive however I liked to get there...

the real lesson here is the Porsche NAV battery percentage estimate is rock solid!!! I'd trust it +/- 5% to get me there, and we know you can "enhance" it's estimate with some mild speed adjustments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if the maximum range is say 280 miles @ ~60 mph average speed - you can kinda split the trip into 1/2 segments - be "good" for the first 140 miles - see how the % battery estimate is going based on the Porsche NAV estimate, and if you're good 140 miles into your 280 mile "segment" you can probably "add" some speed for the remaining 140 miles…

as I've said in other posts - I for one have never ever in my life under any circumstances driven 30-40 mph above the speed limit on Hwy 5 for the last 10 miles in any of my Tesla's when I knew I had enough battery to reach the supercharger and the last few miles of the trip "were in the bag".

I would never ever do anything like that.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
great recap.......what’s your best guess of miles you could achieve going 5-10 over speed limit highway only?
I get 34 or 35 kWh/100 miles at cruise control locked 84 mph or a little over 250 miles. That drops to 32 or 33 at 74 mph but the car seems most efficient right at 60. It blows away most other (maybe all other) EVs at 80+ mph efficiency.

Thanks for trip post OP!! I agree that the Nav range estimate is surprisingly accurate, it was useless on my iPace. It also seems to give more of a worst case scenario as I've always beaten it by 2-7% on trips, which is a good thing. It's accurate but errs on the side of caution.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@PanameraFrank .......thank you
this is exactly what I was looking for
are you running 20’s or 21’s ?

I get 34 or 35 kWh/100 miles at cruise control locked 84 mph or a little over 250 miles. That drops to 32 or 33 at 74 mph but the car seems most efficient right at 60. It blows away most other (maybe all other) EVs at 80+ mph efficiency.

Thanks for trip post OP!! I agree that the Nav range estimate is surprisingly accurate, it was useless on my iPace. It also seems to give more of a worst case scenario as I've always beaten it by 2-7% on trips, which is a good thing. It's accurate but errs on the side of caution.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great report @daveo4EV Thanks!
I'll have to check out the bakery in Los Alamos as well. I remember getting a buffalo burger there when I was a kid in Lompoc.

Anyway, when charging in Paso Robles, I recommend a short walk to LOL Yogurt, about 5min next to a park. I was there several times with the Chevy Bolt EV.

Love that range number with 21" wheels. Though driving 3mph under the speed limit is something I don't think I could do, even for science. :giggle:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@PanameraFrank .......thank you
this is exactly what I was looking for
are you running 20’s or 21’s ?
20" Pilot Sport 4 Summer tires. I've seen other data from people with 21" tires and I don't think you lose that much range, maybe add 1 to 2 kWh/100 or a 3-6% range loss vs 20".

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
great.......thanks

20" Pilot Sport 4 Summer tires. I've seen other data from people with 21" tires and I don't think you lose that much range, maybe add 1 to 2 kWh/100 or a 3-6% range loss vs 20".

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Appreciate the post, but one thing I didn’t get....

drove under the speed limit by 2-3 mph the entire way
....how the heck did you do that??

As much as I try on some of these trips, it just doesn’t happen and I am not a fast driver ;)

My trip today was similar, but not as long:
- 115 miles In Northern California.
- Drove up Santa Cruz mountains, then along the coast.
- AC probably used more since my wife likes it really cool.
- Also had an adult and 2 dogs in the back.
- Drove it like a Porsche on the straight stretches. Since I had passengers, didn’t push it on the curves.

Findings similar to yours
- Everyone thought the car was really comfortable. My son fell asleep in the back on the way home.
- Averaged 335 wh/m.
- DIdn’t need to charge, but on previous trips, get around 90-100kwh on the 150kWh EA system in Half Moon Bay - never had an issue charging and the location is really convenient. (I may arrive there with 40-60% charge)

Unexpected Bonus
- My wife really liked the passenger display.
- It was set on map and it was on the satellite display.
- So she could see the path the car was going up the mountains and she could see the turns coming up.
- Double bonus, the map actually showed the fog that was on the water and coast - so it seems it was a live feed since 30 miles later, the fog was no longer on the map.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Since we are all talking about Taycan drives today - here is mine. I drove from Flagstaff, AZ to Denver via I-40 and I-25 - there are no fast chargers to take the shorter route through northern New Mexico into Southern Colorado, so I had to take the long way.

Have a 4s with the 20's on it, and temps were anywhere from mid-40's in the morning when I left Flagstaff to mid-80's in Central New Mexico.

I usually did anywhere from 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit. I left Flagstaff with 90% charge and charged to 90% or 95% in Gallup, Santa Fe, and Trinidad, Colorado. Usually took 30 minutes to get to a nearly full battery at the EA chargers.

This was the last leg of my 2,500 mile road trip, and should have planned the last leg a little better. 13 hours is a loooooooooooong time in an EV!!

Porsche Taycan Trip Report - Aptos, CA to Los Alamos, CA to Aptos, CA - w/Data IMG_0108

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag

The efficiency is excellent at 80 mph. I have an average around 30 kWh/100 mi at 73 on cruise control w/ range and summer temps. At 78 it barely increased to 33 kWh. With PanameraFrank's data, another small increase to 84 mph.

As I said, love the car, and once the EA charging becomes ubiquitous and reliable, the Taycan will be easily the EV car to drive for long trips.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Great report, seems you really like the Porsche EV more and more...

Porsche Taycan Trip Report - Aptos, CA to Los Alamos, CA to Aptos, CA - w/Data 1602491084232
Porsche Taycan Trip Report - Aptos, CA to Los Alamos, CA to Aptos, CA - w/Data 1602491037041

First time on a Porsche Hypercharger.

Is the Taycan topping out at 250 Amp charging current?

I finally got confirmation, that the Chinese standard also can fast charge.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...the real lesson here is the Porsche NAV battery percentage estimate is rock solid!!! I'd trust it +/- 5% to get me there, and we know you can "enhance" it's estimate with some mild speed adjustments.
Exactly!

If you keep your consumption in a narrow range, the total range estimate is accurate down to 1 or 2 miles. Considering how on my MS90D the battery range melts away at low SOC, I find the Taycan BC amazing! My Taycan parks with 6% SOC and I am not even bothered to plug it in, cause I know I only have short school run the next morning.

Porsche Taycan Trip Report - Aptos, CA to Los Alamos, CA to Aptos, CA - w/Data 1602496499893

Last night I charged to 99% and now I have 260mi of mega-city-driving range. :like:
Sponsored