Yikes, woke up to DEAD Taycan!

KidDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan, Audi A6, Mercedes Benz E-Class, Audi Q7
Country flag
Woke up on the morning of 10/8 to find the car completely dead in my garage. Could not even disconnect the charging cable!

Events leading up to this:

-Took delivery of car on 8/27; found a small paint chip on the front passenger door.
-Have never had more fun driving any other car!
-Dropped off my car at dealership on the morning of 9/29 for paint chip repair and drove to work in a loaner.
-Car was at Porsche approved body shop for about 1 week (i.e., not used). I used the Porsche connect app almost everyday during this week to verify location of the car.
-Picked up car from dealership after work on 10/5. Happy with the paint chip repair. Drove home (live about 8 miles from the dealership) without any issues.
-Did not use the car the following 2 days (10/6 and 10/7).
-On the evening of 10/7 around 8 pm, I plugged charger into car. State of charge at that time was 38%. I use a charging profile that charges the car to a minimum of 25% so of course, the charging did not start when I plugged in at 8 pm. My preferred charging times are between 11 pm and 6 am.
- On the morning of 10/8, went to take the car to work to find it completely dead. Had no time to deal with it and used another car to get to work, arriving 30 minutes late. My patients were waiting for me.
-Called Walnut Creek Porsche on the morning of 10/9. They sent a tow driver who had no idea how to get the car into neutral. Luckily, I had spent the previous night researching and learning how to restore the car by reading threads on this forum, which is full of helpful information! I guided the tow truck driver through the process.
-I had him connect his charger to the panel located near the driver‘s footwell. Within 2 minutes, I was able to open the frunk with my key. Removed panel to get to the 12 volt battery and connected it to charger. Within 6-7 minutes, car came back to life and I was able to pull it out of the garage. Actually drove the car up and down my street. State of charge now read 36%.
-Called dealership and told them that I could drive the car to them but they wanted to have it towed there.
-Car remains at dealership. Got a call from service manager today asking me about the timeline of events, which I shared. Told that they placed a ticket for this issue to Porsche North America.
-What to do? I believe that the majority of people love their Taycans but how can we possibly deal with the uncertainty of not knowing if our cars will start each morning?
Sponsored

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
-What to do? I believe that the majority of people love their Taycans but how can we possibly deal with the uncertainty of not knowing if our cars will start each morning?
Great question! Seems that this intermittent software fault is proving difficult to rectify in Porsche HQ (as they often are) and further completed (it seems but no empirical evidence) that in its home market (Germany and the EU) that the issue is less (but does exist).

Someone on a thread wrote about a semi permanent work around for this being a charger wired from frunk that you can access from glovebox but seems way OTT other than in your very important circumstances. Ultimately they have to fix this and fast but this level of software dev may be a rare resource in the Porsche environment as ground up they've been ICE for a lonnnnnnng time.

I feel your pain and sort of dreading it happening for me when the car comes but mine will be an inconvenience rather than potentially critical.

Keep pushing Porsche US with these and hopefully the fault will get resolved more readily as information and learning is developed.

As we say in the UK, it's a buggers muddle!

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
If you set the minimum charge to 25% doesn’t that mean that it won’t charge higher than that. Or have I misunderstood the US salesman’s video?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
minimum charge ignores any schedule or such and charges to the minimum charge level when ever it’s plugged in…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@KidDoc I feel your pain - I really really hope Porsche is working to fix this.

OP
OP

KidDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan, Audi A6, Mercedes Benz E-Class, Audi Q7
Country flag
Thank you David. And thank you for your nicely detailed report when this issue happened to your Taycan. Let's hope for a permanent fix to this from Porsche.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you set the minimum charge to 25% doesn’t that mean that it won’t charge higher than that. Or have I misunderstood the US salesman’s video?
If means that it will immediately charge the car up to the minimum (e.g. 25% in order to make sure you can use the car asap) and then it will charge the rest based on the timer you set.
Sponsored