Press Release: Digital, clear, sustainable: the interior of the new Porsche Taycan!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Porsche Taycan Press Release: Digital, clear, sustainable: the interior of the new Porsche Taycan! 2019-08-23_09.50.49
Note the "gear" selector behind the wheel.
Just like my BMW i3 and I'm not happy about that...
Sponsored

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m suspicious, everyone seems happy :CWL:

No complaining about the lack of the gesture controls from the Mission E?!

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
... any comments about Head-up Display? .... at least this car doesn't have this option ... maybe not available from start ?

ba88e738-0210-4adf-8c64-11aeb1309f86-1 (1).jpg
Is the night vision feature displayed on a HUD or in the instrument cluster on Panameras and 992s? I can’t remember. That could also just be a design element of the housing.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Wow! What a beautiful interior. For the first time, I've seen an interior that I like better than my 2013 Panamera GTS. I really didn't like the newer Panamera interiors because of the reflection off the center console through the sunroof/windshield. That drove me nuts. It looks like they've covered that with their 'vapor deposition' real glass. I'm really excited to see the actual car in Frankfurt in a few weeks. I do think it will be in white, and that's probably what I'll order.

Does anyone know what the color scheme/materials are for this interior? Obviously they've got alcantara on the wheel and seat bolsters. Not sure what the material is on the seat cushion, but it looks cool (both literally and figuratively).

AlphaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Elise, Chevy Volt, Model X
Country flag
2019-08-23_09.50.49.jpg
Note the "gear" selector behind the wheel.
Just like my BMW i3 and I'm not happy about that...
I’m inclined to agree. I think this placement, for those not fortunate enough to ever have had the opportunity to drive a 918 regularly (almost everyone), will more likely remind them of other cars. For me it is reminiscent of a Prius, sadly.

I’m sure it is something I will get used to... hopefully....

Kristoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
I'm very surprised they revealed the interior with so many days to go... You have to think they are saving the best for last. Right?? :please:

Kristoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Wow! What a beautiful interior. For the first time, I've seen an interior that I like better than my 2013 Panamera GTS. I really didn't like the newer Panamera interiors because of the reflection off the center console through the sunroof/windshield. That drove me nuts. It looks like they've covered that with their 'vapor deposition' real glass. I'm really excited to see the actual car in Frankfurt in a few weeks. I do think it will be in white, and that's probably what I'll order.

Does anyone know what the color scheme/materials are for this interior? Obviously they've got alcantara on the wheel and seat bolsters. Not sure what the material is on the seat cushion, but it looks cool (both literally and figuratively).
Looks like leather seat cushion from the press photos? Based on one of the articles it will have leatherette option too.

9. It has available leatherette upholstery

For those who want a more environmentally friendly alternative to leather seats, Porsche has you covered. The Taycan will have a leatherette upholstery option called RaceTex. Of course, traditional leather will also be available.

beaudawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Appears to be a new fabric upholstery option. Imagine it will be branded as Porsche's Sport-Tex in the options list.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I’m suspicious, everyone seems happy :CWL:

No complaining about the lack of the gesture controls from the Mission E?!
Not really.
Once you set radio, hvac or any other things it's all about driving.
It looks stupid too, imaging driving behind someone who's waving his hands and arms like a lunatic cuz the infotainment system can't find the right song!
No, seriously, I don't adjust many things during driving, besides, there's voice control, works even better while keeping your eyes on the road.
Imho that is.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
seems like Porsche has also disclosed the range of the Taycan - a disappointing 236 miles on a full charge…

the display @ 286 km @ 75% battery - yields a calculation of 381 km or 236.742 miles @ 100 % - which is disappointment for Taycan's range…vs Model S or model 3 - that's barely more range than the Model 3 SR, and a lot less range than the Model 3 LR and the Model S at 350 miles range…

90 kWh battery @ 236 miles = 381 wh/mile or 2.62 miles/kWh - that's about equal to my Model X efficiency - actually my Model X gets like 361 wh/mile - hmmmmm this is disappointing and establishes a trend for the German EV's - so far none of them come close to Tesla on efficiency (iPace, eTron, and now the Taycan)…and yet this forum is full of people saying Tesla has nothing on the established automakers…

I'm hoping for a rendering error or just place holder graphics…but if it's actually 236 miles range (which the display indicates) that's going to be very disappointing and make me consider not purchasing one…

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
seems like Porsche has also disclosed the range of the Taycan - a disappointing 236 miles on a full charge…

the display @ 286 km @ 75% battery - yields a calculation of 381 km or 236.742 miles @ 100 % - which is disappointment for Taycan's range…vs Model S or model 3 - that's barely more range than the Model 3 SR, and a lot less range than the Model 3 LR and the Model S at 350 miles range…

90 kWh battery @ 236 miles = 381 wh/mile or 2.62 miles/kWh - that's about equal to my Model X efficiency - actually my Model X gets like 361 wh/mile - hmmmmm this is disappointing and establishes a trend for the German EV's - so far none of them come close to Tesla on efficiency (iPace, eTron, and now the Taycan)…and yet this forum is full of people saying Tesla has nothing on the established automakers…

I'm hoping for a rendering error or just place holder graphics…but if it's actually 236 miles range (which the display indicates) that's going to be very disappointing and make me consider not purchasing one…
As you may know, range totally depends on driving style and temperature.
Do you think these Porsche testers and journalists go drive for a comfort ride at 80km/h?
No, hard pulls, over and over again to test and impress.
I'm an EV user myself so it's not representative for actual daily use at normal driving style.
If Porsche want us to believe that it can do 500 km they wouldn't have shown us this pic cuz people are not stupid.
Especially, like you said about "German EVs" have a somewhat questionable reputation.
But then again, a lot of EVs are bought by people who come from petrol and don't really know how to drive it or interpret the range numbers and what influence it
Besides, range is so overrated, you can charge it.
As you come from a Model X I'm kinda surprised by your comment.

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
As you may know, range totally depends on driving style and temperature.
Do you think these Porsche testers and journalists go drive for a comfort ride at 80km/h?
No, hard pulls, over and over again to test and impress.
I'm an EV user myself so it's not representative for actual daily use at normal driving style.
If Porsche want us to believe that it can do 500 km they wouldn't have shown us this pic cuz people are not stupid.
Especially, like you said about "German EVs" have a somewhat questionable reputation.
But then again, a lot of EVs are bought by people who come from petrol and don't really know how to drive it or interpret the range numbers and what influence it
Besides, range is so overrated, you can charge it.
As you come from a Model X I'm kinda surprised by your comment.

I find it funny that if we are on a Porsche forum and when some of us mention that Tesla’s battery technology and charging infrastructure is better (quite obvious now based on all factual data we are reading from every car publication and now real world driving of actual owners) that we must be fanbois. NO, I happen to enjoy Porsche’s and Tesla’s and have owned 4 Porsche’s ( 993, 996, 997, 987) and 3 Tesla’s as well as a GTR, S2000 and MB C63 AMG 507 and I still track my 993, GTR and C63. I have not yet tracked my Tesla Model 3 Performance with track mode but, based on seat time and having fun in parking lots, it drives quite well and is very fast. My point in all this is that we are not putting down what Porsche has done with the Taycan. I am sure it will be a great drivers car and have fantastic build quality and a very high quality interior as Porsche’s tend to have. We just know that ALL car OEM’s did not take EV’s seriously when Tesla started back 13+ years ago and Tesla has hired the best engineers around to develop this technology (ICE engineer is very different from a battery engineer) and are clearly the leader. Just check out the facts on the MB EV, the Jag Ipace, the Audi Etron, the Chevy Volt, the Nissan Leaf, these battery’s are not delivering the more efficient real world mileage that the Tesla batteries deliver. This is a fact. The other fact people keep missing is that these car OEM’s have not taken EV seriously up till this point is because they are worried about cannibalization of their ICE cars. Except for the noise an ICE makes, an EV has less moving parts, less maintenance, better performance, Tesla has Over the Air updates, Tesla autopilot which is fantastic, no reliance on fossil fuels, and is a substantially better vehicle overall. Sure, maybe fit and finish might not be up to a Porsche, but Tesla’s mission is all about getting off fossil fuels to make for a better world.

I also find it funny that people are now stating that range is overrated. I remember when we first got our Tesla Model 85 in 2013. Everyone who knew we got the car stated how can you drive it, you only get 250 miles, you will be stranded. We would tell them that we plug in every night like our iPhone and we have a full tank of electricity every morning and we rarely do 250 miles in a day driving back and forth to work and when we do drive long distances, we have the Tesla supercharger network to get us where we are going and Our Tesla directs us to the next supercharger on our journey to where we are going. And, we never have to buy gas...what a wonderful feeling that we don’t have to support OPEC. Also, whenever I gave test drives in my Tesla, people were floored by the acceleration and the way it handled for a big car. When we got the P90D and gave test drives, some people got sick from the acceleration and could not believe a car could have so much pull (G force) from a stop.

Finally, when a Model 3 Performance with a 75 Battery can get 310 miles and a Porsche with a 96 battery can only get 236 miles, the numbers do not lie (if that is what we are seeing so far) then Tesla is providing a more efficient and technologically advanced battery today. End of conversation. This does not mean that I am a Tesla fanboi, it is just a fact. And, I can still enjoy both cars and hope that all car OEM’s will get to the efficiency and technology of Tesla’s battery technology sooner than later. Fun fact, Guess the #1 company where engineers coming out of college want to start their career...SPACEX, guess the #2 company...TESLA.

More important, because I enjoy driving my cars, I am so looking forward to getting my Porsche Taycan next year and driving the hell out of it because I know it will be an awesome car to drive, coming from Porsche and, guess what, at night, when I plug it in, I will have a full tank of electricity for another day of fun driving!

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I find it funny that if we are on a Porsche forum and when some of us mention that Tesla’s battery technology and charging infrastructure is better (quite obvious now based on all factual data we are reading from every car publication and now real world driving of actual owners) that we must be fanbois. NO, I happen to enjoy Porsche’s and Tesla’s and have owned 4 Porsche’s ( 993, 996, 997, 987) and 3 Tesla’s as well as a GTR, S2000 and MB C63 AMG 507 and I still track my 993, GTR and C63. I have not yet tracked my Tesla Model 3 Performance with track mode but, based on seat time and having fun in parking lots, it drives quite well and is very fast. My point in all this is that we are not putting down what Porsche has done with the Taycan. I am sure it will be a great drivers car and have fantastic build quality and a very high quality interior as Porsche’s tend to have. We just know that ALL car OEM’s did not take EV’s seriously when Tesla started back 13+ years ago and Tesla has hired the best engineers around to develop this technology (ICE engineer is very different from a battery engineer) and are clearly the leader. Just check out the facts on the MB EV, the Jag Ipace, the Audi Etron, the Chevy Volt, the Nissan Leaf, these battery’s are not delivering the more efficient real world mileage that the Tesla batteries deliver. This is a fact. The other fact people keep missing is that these car OEM’s have not taken EV seriously up till this point is because they are worried about cannibalization of their ICE cars. Except for the noise an ICE makes, an EV has less moving parts, less maintenance, better performance, Tesla has Over the Air updates, Tesla autopilot which is fantastic, no reliance on fossil fuels, and is a substantially better vehicle overall. Sure, maybe fit and finish might not be up to a Porsche, but Tesla’s mission is all about getting off fossil fuels to make for a better world.

I also find it funny that people are now stating that range is overrated. I remember when we first got our Tesla Model 85 in 2013. Everyone who knew we got the car stated how can you drive it, you only get 250 miles, you will be stranded. We would tell them that we plug in every night like our iPhone and we have a full tank of electricity every morning and we rarely do 250 miles in a day driving back and forth to work and when we do drive long distances, we have the Tesla supercharger network to get us where we are going and Our Tesla directs us to the next supercharger on our journey to where we are going. And, we never have to buy gas...what a wonderful feeling that we don’t have to support OPEC. Also, whenever I gave test drives in my Tesla, people were floored by the acceleration and the way it handled for a big car. When we got the P90D and gave test drives, some people got sick from the acceleration and could not believe a car could have so much pull (G force) from a stop.

Finally, when a Model 3 Performance with a 75 Battery can get 310 miles and a Porsche with a 96 battery can only get 236 miles, the numbers do not lie (if that is what we are seeing so far) then Tesla is providing a more efficient and technologically advanced battery today. End of conversation. This does not mean that I am a Tesla fanboi, it is just a fact. And, I can still enjoy both cars and hope that all car OEM’s will get to the efficiency and technology of Tesla’s battery technology sooner than later. Fun fact, Guess the #1 company where engineers coming out of college want to start their career...SPACEX, guess the #2 company...TESLA.

More important, because I enjoy driving my cars, I am so looking forward to getting my Porsche Taycan next year and driving the hell out of it because I know it will be an awesome car to drive, coming from Porsche and, guess what, at night, when I plug it in, I will have a full tank of electricity for another day of fun driving!
You clearly missed my point.
Range indication only depends on previous driving style, that's why we can't say anything about total range at all.
I haven't mentioned anything about Tesla, let alone Porsche was better.
It's a fact that Tesla is still ahead in efficiency and battery technology, I'm aware of that.
Talking about fanboys, if I was a fan of Tesla I would've bought a Tesla and not being on this forum in the first place.
Still, I admire these cars, Elon Musk, cars look good, have great technology but, again, I'm not on a Taycan forum to hear Teslas are better.
In fact, we don't know yet.
I'm glad I still see some valid points in your post about your experience with EVs, miles per day and your love for sportscars in general.
Cheers.
Sponsored

Last edited: