How many of you would still own the Taycan if it wasn’t better for the environment than a combustion car?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
ironically, I don’t think this is really true, even as fuel standards have been a cudgel. Ultimately market pressure is going to drive the EV transition as prices come down.
This is a bit wishful thinking, IMHO.

Here in China prices and market pressure in this segment are almost irrelevant. The stinking Panamera is still outselling the Taycan even though the license plate alone cost an extra 14k USD.

On the other hand, the Chinese regulator pusing the EV train for the following reasons:

1. Most of the oil has to be imported (-$$$)
2. Geographically renewable electricity is nearly unlimited (free $)
3. Solar and wind tech comes from local manufacturers (+$$$)
4. Transition to EV provides lots of opportunities for new patents (future +$$$)
5. Transition to EV provides local manufacturers to catch up (+$$$)
6. EV are locally clean and the only way to keep urbanization going ($$$^X)

Porsche Taycan How many of you would still own the Taycan if it wasn’t better for the environment than a combustion car? 1604198459940

Porsche Taycan How many of you would still own the Taycan if it wasn’t better for the environment than a combustion car? 1604198485579

Local car registration place. All the white cars you can see on both pics are EVs.

The largest market for Porsche is China and by far the most profitable. Do you really think, that they will miss out on this? Basically, the only reason you drive a Taycan is because of the Chinese regulator. I know, shocking assessment, but the reality.

The EU is only thinking in terms of climate, almost a useless driving force and allows stupid dirty deals.

The US? Seems totally fracking drunk and eager to compete with Russia and Saudi to settle an Iranian score? Sanctions against Swiss and German companies, because of a gas pipeline?

I do not know much about US politics, but from the outside it looks ugly considering the geopolitical as well as the local and global environmental costs.

Last edited:

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is a bit wishful thinking, IMHO.

Here in China prices and market pressure in this segment are almost irrelevant. The stinking Panamera is still outselling the Taycan even though the license plate alone cost an extra 14k USD.

On the other hand, the Chinese regulator pusing the EV train for the following reasons:

1. Most of the oil has to be imported (-$$$)
2. Geographically renewable electricity is nearly unlimited (free $)
3. Solar and wind tech comes from local manufacturers (+$$$)
4. Transition to EV provides lots of opportunities for new patents (future +$$$)
5. Transition to EV provides local manufacturers to catch up (+$$$)
6. EV are locally clean and the only way to keep urbanization going ($$$^X)

Local car registration place. All the white cars you can see on both pics are EVs.

The largest market for Porsche is China and by far the most profitable. Do you really think, that they will miss out on this? Basically, the only reason you drive a Taycan is because of the Chinese regulator. I know, shocking assessment, but the reality.

The EU is only thinking in terms of climate, almost a useless driving force and allows stupid dirty deals.

The US? Seems totally fracking drunk and eager to compete with Russia and Saudi to settle an Iranian score? Sanctions against Swiss and German companies, because of a gas pipeline?

I do not know much about US politics, but from the outside it looks ugly considering the geopolitical as well as the local and global environmental costs.
Porsche buyers represent about limit 0% of total world wide car buyers. The EV action is in the mass market In the $25-50k range. approximately 99.9% of all cars belong to people not on car forums.

The EV pricing isn’t quite there yet, and the long haul charging infrastructure also is a tad inconvenient, but it’s close enough to squint and see the inevitable. The next wave of battery enhancements will basically obsolete ice for large chunks of the market. there will always be supercars and status symbols, sure. Not relevant to the overall momentum.

EV performance is much better per dollar. EV maintenance and ownership costs are much lower.

already.

more interesting will be what happens in the US truck market and in the commercial transportation market. The latter has more challenging cost efficiency problems.

Dancarusa

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
For those of you who saw my last post, I’m debating on going EV with the taycan and just want to get some more insight. How many of y’all picked the taycan over it’s competitor because it’s more eco friendly? I understand that EV’s are more eco friendly but I don’t want that to be a deciding factor in which car I choose since I prefer fun over efficiency. I also just want to see how many people TRULY bought the taycan because it’s a better car, and not because they wanted to save the environment. There’s nothing wrong with picking a car for it being cleaner, but personally I could care less about the emissions my car makes (for better or worse) and want to make sure that the Taycan hype isn’t attributed to its emissions numbers being masked behind “it’s way better driving than ICE cars”.
I did not decided to buy it because of the eco flag ! I bought it because it is sleek and cool and powerful. the amount of energy and plastic and petroleum used to build it is massive.

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I tested a Macan GTS, a Panamera Hybrid and the Taycan..... No contest, the Taycan was by far the best car of the three and the critics unanimously puts the Taycan as the best EV car on the planet and probably one of the best car ever to drive. Many critics considered the Taycan equivalent as a 911 from a driving expertise even with its incredible weight. So the eco is just the cherry over the sundae as a benefit.

Reactions: B61

Ronglos

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Chevy Bolt, 2022 Taycan
Country flag
I give a damn about saving the planet. Wanted an EV for an easier vehicle to maintain. My Bolt has not seen the dealer since my purchase 14 months ago. Sadly after spending way too much time on this forum I feel great disapointment coming. I believe my Taycan is still at the port in San Diego.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I wasn't aware my Taycan was better for the environment when you figure in the environmental cost of producing the battery. Isn't it some very large number of miles before it even remotely starts to pay its environmental debt?

I test drove several cars (all in the Porsche family) and this was the one that put the biggest smile on my face when behind the wheel - and that was why I brought it.

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would NEVER sacrifice performance to be greener. Taycan is faaaast, silent and no gas or maintenance. oh, and it's a Porsche. These are my only reasons....

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
The Taycan is my retirement present to myself (encouraged by my family). I wanted a Porsche. After reading up and seeing a couple of Tycan's I decided I could get the Porsche I always wanted and give an EV a try as well.

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Not sure how much of the electricity I use to charge comes from burning fossil fuels here but whatever environmental offset there is, is a bonus for me...it definitely wasn't my primary consideration in ordering a Porsche. I like the design, tech, engineering and power and it's prolly easier to live with than my 911 for daily driving.

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Not sure how much of the electricity I use to charge comes from burning fossil fuels here but whatever environmental offset there is, is a bonus for me...it definitely wasn't my primary consideration in ordering a Porsche. I like the design, tech, engineering and power and it's prolly easier to live with than my 911 for daily driving.
This is all assuming they ever release the damn thing from the port anytime soon ffs

Brazz

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Panamera 4S EH, 2022 Cayenne
Country flag
I liked the styling and performance...the fact that it was an EV was a bonus, not a decision-maker.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I bought it because it IS ELECTRIC. It makes sense to me to pour less carbon emissions into the atmosphere.

It is a very good riding and performing car, other than RANGE. If It wasn't for the fact that it is electric, there are other Porsche cars that are very desirable and far more reliable than the taycan.
The 911 series are great cars. They don't have 1/10th of the electric glitches, software glitches and annoying little issues. I wanted to be part of the future so I bought the Taycan. I am kinda "over" the whole hype train and have been through a LOT of problems and issues with the car (16,800 miles). It's always in the shop. I have started looking at other cars to replace it - either a different electric car, or a hybrid. I am leaning toward a hybrid car so at least I am burning a bit less fuel and getting the performance advantage without the range issues.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
Saves me £64k of personal tax over 3 years compared to a 911 and can write 100% of the cost off in the 1st year against profit, that’s why I bought one through my business, no other reason.

Porsche Taycan How many of you would still own the Taycan if it wasn’t better for the environment than a combustion car? 5937AE20-D795-417A-ABDB-6CB1891D8856

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I wasn't aware my Taycan was better for the environment when you figure in the environmental cost of producing the battery. Isn't it some very large number of miles before it even remotely starts to pay its environmental debt?

I test drove several cars (all in the Porsche family) and this was the one that put the biggest smile on my face when behind the wheel - and that was why I brought it.
This somewhat older video does a decent job of explaining some of the available information these days, but the short summary is that yes, electric cars are better for the environment, assuming you get 60,000+ miles out of it (and potentially much less)
Sponsored