Hootch280

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Macan S, Mclaren 720S
Country flag
Picked up this Taycan Turbo at the end of October - Brand new having kicked around the idea of a hybrid I decided to go the whole way and see if it is possible to live with a fully electric. Went from thinking about it to getting it in about 2 weeks - probably a bit rash but thought I might as well jump right in

Installed a 40 amp cable to the garage and the car came with a Charge Connect 2 which was duly mounted on the wall having worked out with 32 amp on a single phase ( like the majority of UK properties ) I could charge at 6.5 to 7 KWh. To date it's worked out great and I have yet to use a public charging point even though I have the Porsche charging card which I believe offers some sort of discount on the pay -as-you-go pricing. I've looked at a couple of the UK energy suppliers who offer an EV cheap overnight tariff but the time window they offer is not going to save much as their peak rate is higher and my current tariff, and the average charge period for the car is greater than the cheap rate period offered - so the gains are lost.

I've never owned a car which has required so much manual reading, video watching and in car playing to learn it all.

This in app purchase option seems to be a complete mystery I've even been offered options to purchase that I already have on the car - Like power steering Plus. Others that I might like to consider and the handbook indicated are purchasable on line, are not. What standard options are available where, seems to be a regional thing. Car Play wireless connection - no not here. Phone wireless charging - no not here.

Got the full security tracker package - but the key fob things are not registered - a job for my local dealer apparently but they need the car of a day to do it - I know this is a log in laptop job they could do in the car park, but no they need a day so that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Specified range is a bit of an unknown too. Considering you can't go below 6 percent charge and ideally - for best battery life, an optimum charge level of 85 percent is recommended, the real usable range is around a 188 miles unless you think ahead and give it full charge knowing you are going to need more for your scheduled trip. Trouble is that last 15 percent when home charging takes a whole lot longer, and unless you do the 'direct charging now' thing in the connect app then you are likely to get a 'target charge will not be achievable' message - just before you are about to leave, having had the car connected for plenty long enough but the 'timer charging sesson' with your departure time set has got the calculation wrong - even though you specified 100 percent

So 6 weeks in, 600 miles, and ton of questions I'm still trying to get answers for, I'm still not convinced I want to attempt a long trip - especially with the abysmal charging infrastructure here in the UK. Comes to something when the law makers pass an edict that says 2030 no more ICE car sales but rely on private enterprise to offer the capability to make that possible.

On the plus side - its fun to drive - but then it a Porsche so it should be !!
Sponsored

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
Picked up this Taycan Turbo at the end of October - Brand new having kicked around the idea of a hybrid I decided to go the whole way and see if it is possible to live with a fully electric. Went from thinking about it to getting it in about 2 weeks - probably a bit rash but thought I might as well jump right in

Installed a 40 amp cable to the garage and the car came with a Charge Connect 2 which was duly mounted on the wall having worked out with 32 amp on a single phase ( like the majority of UK properties ) I could charge at 6.5 to 7 KWh. To date it's worked out great and I have yet to use a public charging point even though I have the Porsche charging card which I believe offers some sort of discount on the pay -as-you-go pricing. I've looked at a couple of the UK energy suppliers who offer an EV cheap overnight tariff but the time window they offer is not going to save much as their peak rate is higher and my current tariff, and the average charge period for the car is greater than the cheap rate period offered - so the gains are lost.

I've never owned a car which has required so much manual reading, video watching and in car playing to learn it all.

This in app purchase option seems to be a complete mystery I've even been offered options to purchase that I already have on the car - Like power steering Plus. Others that I might like to consider and the handbook indicated are purchasable on line, are not. What standard options are available where, seems to be a regional thing. Car Play wireless connection - no not here. Phone wireless charging - no not here.

Got the full security tracker package - but the key fob things are not registered - a job for my local dealer apparently but they need the car of a day to do it - I know this is a log in laptop job they could do in the car park, but no they need a day so that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Specified range is a bit of an unknown too. Considering you can't go below 6 percent charge and ideally - for best battery life, an optimum charge level of 85 percent is recommended, the real usable range is around a 188 miles unless you think ahead and give it full charge knowing you are going to need more for your scheduled trip. Trouble is that last 15 percent when home charging takes a whole lot longer, and unless you do the 'direct charging now' thing in the connect app then you are likely to get a 'target charge will not be achievable' message - just before you are about to leave, having had the car connected for plenty long enough but the 'timer charging sesson' with your departure time set has got the calculation wrong - even though you specified 100 percent

So 6 weeks in, 600 miles, and ton of questions I'm still trying to get answers for, I'm still not convinced I want to attempt a long trip - especially with the abysmal charging infrastructure here in the UK. Comes to something when the law makers pass an edict that says 2030 no more ICE car sales but rely on private enterprise to offer the capability to make that possible.

Pretty much sums up the 5 months and 5000 miles of fun (& frustration) I’ve had with my 4S ... (you can lose an hour of your life that you’ll never recover searching for stuff like wireless charging) ?

On the plus side I’m sure I had ApplePlay via cable playing Apple Music from my IPhone (not car) account earlier this week and after decabling the phone it paused a millisecond and continued to play via Bluetooth without cable (no doubt my ApplePlay screen disappeared but that event was a pleasant surprise.

i do have a PY21 Taycan Turbo on order for early 2021 though - so you can tell that despite the frustrations “fun” is winning!

Enjoy!

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag

Just a comment on my experience, I have not had any charging issues with distance driving. I've used Ionity, BP and InstaVolt. I have experienced one issue with BP not working (at a restaurant location as opposed to main service station). In my experience at least, the public charging experience has been ok.

OP
OP
Hootch280

Hootch280

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just a comment on my experience, I have not had any charging issues with distance driving. I've used Ionity, BP and InstaVolt. I have experienced one issue with BP not working (at a restaurant location as opposed to main service station). In my experience at least, the public charging experience has been ok.
Appreciate that feedback. Living down on the south coast my options are limited - i think my nearest Ionity is 100 miles away. Its a bit frustrating to think that the world wants to adopt cleaner energy but the ability to do that is restricted by availably and the need to factor in a possible detour and extra journey time to hang out at a charging point - or two !

qwick69

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamara Turbo, Honda NSX, Aston Vantage V12SRM, Aston Martin DBS
Country flag

3 weeks into ownership of a turbo and 1600 miles of TROUBLESOME motoring.
Due to Covid, the car has only just gone back to dealer for the issues to be resolved.
Issues I have had from Day 1

1)PCM not working properly
2)Car keeps forgetting settings. I configure the PCM screen and my seat positioning, holds those settings sometimes for a couple of days, sometimes only a few hrs, then goes back to the the settings it had when I picked it up
3)Power Port open massage keeps appearing, despite power port being closed.
4) Phone wont connect to PCM so cannot change any settings or Pre Heat car via phone
5) PCM screen just freezes sometimes.
6) PCM just packs up and blue circle rotates
7) Surround View Camaras sometimes just pack up.
8) Rattle from Drivers seat (fixed myself, trim was loose, I put some felt pads on it and pushed it back
9)Very annoying rattle from Front Passanger door. Cannot find out where it comes from
10) Keep getting calls from Vodafone automotive saying my car has been stolen, despite me having the fob to hand and actually driving the car at the time.

Plus lots and lots of diferent error massages that keep coming up. This is my Fourth purchase of a Porsche in 4 years, and its turning out to be a nightmare. The basic car is fantastic, when it works! The two other 4Ss we were considering for the business , they have been shelved. Pity.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Appreciate that feedback. Living down on the south coast my options are limited - i think my nearest Ionity is 100 miles away. Its a bit frustrating to think that the world wants to adopt cleaner energy but the ability to do that is restricted by availably and the need to factor in a possible detour and extra journey time to hang out at a charging point - or two !
I do not disagree. I have already raised to Ionity the fact that their rollout seems to be odd in terms of national coverage with poor availability along the M4/3 corridors. Also Porsche dealers are all supposed to be rolling out high-speed chargers on site and available to Porsche owners (during office hours) - I think that's a slow process as well.

Download the InstaVolt app on your phone, or view online. I think you will feel better about your charging options, even on the South Coast (hopefully)...Good luck...but it will improve. I get a sense things are moving faster now - but the DC charge rates *suck*

OP
OP
Hootch280

Hootch280

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seems to me is what 'we' need here in the UK is a Porsche Taycan representative expert - like the US one on the site but understands what is and is not available - or will be available, on UK cars because the options and availably seem to be very different in various regions world wide. Come on Porsche give us an expert that we can pose questions to because the dealers seem to be clueless and we deserve better for our money !

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
EV Home charging - I have been on an Economy 7 tariff for the last two years that gives me 8p per kWh. 7 hours of charging gives you about 55% battery SOC which is more than enough. I do have a Tesla home battery that runs the house during the peak period. However, I have had chargers installed at work and do most of my charging there.

When I charge on my Zappi, it only slows down when I get near to 100%. It will drop to about 2 kW whilst it goes through a cell balancing exercise. It can take up to an hour to get to 100%, hence why you get the “target charge not achievable” message. Once it warms up, it will speed up and the message will go away.

As regards range, what you see on your console reflects the length of journey, temperature and your driving style. If you do lots of short journeys with no preconditioning in less than 10 deg C, your range will plummet. Once the air temp gets above 15 deg C, your range will improve by about 25%.

I don’t share your scepticism about the public charging infrastructure as there are literally thousands of options. I live on the South Coast too and I have charged successfully at Instavolt, BP Pulse, Pod-Point, Ionity, Ecotricity, Osprey and GeniePoint. I have trips to Cornwall, the West Coast of Scotland and Northern Italy planned for next year. Ionity in Europe has expanded massively so European trips are definitely on. PlugShare and WattsUp are brilliant apps for planning trips.

I have owned Teslas for the last 5 years. My wife drives a BMW I3 and that is going to be replaced with a VW ID.3 in March. We own no other cars. The Taycan is a step up from the Tesla. It is better built, has more range, and so far has been faultless. My last Tesla spent its first two months off the road with warranty issues so I’m already impressed. It is the best EV money can buy.

OP
OP
Hootch280

Hootch280

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
EV Home charging - I have been on an Economy 7 tariff for the last two years that gives me 8p per kWh. 7 hours of charging gives you about 55% battery SOC which is more than enough. I do have a Tesla home battery that runs the house during the peak period. However, I have had chargers installed at work and do most of my charging there.

When I charge on my Zappi, it only slows down when I get near to 100%. It will drop to about 2 kW whilst it goes through a cell balancing exercise. It can take up to an hour to get to 100%, hence why you get the “target charge not achievable” message. Once it warms up, it will speed up and the message will go away.

As regards range, what you see on your console reflects the length of journey, temperature and your driving style. If you do lots of short journeys with no preconditioning in less than 10 deg C, your range will plummet. Once the air temp gets above 15 deg C, your range will improve by about 25%.

I don’t share your scepticism about the public charging infrastructure as there are literally thousands of options. I live on the South Coast too and I have charged successfully at Instavolt, BP Pulse, Pod-Point, Ionity, Ecotricity, Osprey and GeniePoint. I have trips to Cornwall, the West Coast of Scotland and Northern Italy planned for next year. Ionity in Europe has expanded massively so European trips are definitely on. PlugShare and WattsUp are brilliant apps for planning trips.

I have owned Teslas for the last 5 years. My wife drives a BMW I3 and that is going to be replaced with a VW ID.3 in March. We own no other cars. The Taycan is a step up from the Tesla. It is better built, has more range, and so far has been faultless. My last Tesla spent its first two months off the road with warranty issues so I’m already impressed. It is the best EV money can buy.
Hi Graham - Thanks for your thoughts, you are way ahead of the game having owned Teslas for quite a while. I would agree you have far more charging stations in on your side of the south coast. Its not so much the local options but the lack of super fast chargers - like Ionity around the country at the moment. They are, as you say, big in Europe just slow coming on line here. I've always been used to driving A to B no stops and if I need to, as short as possible - refuel and go. Its certainly a mindset I need get into.

Looked at Economy 7 - needs a new meter but a few suppliers are offering EV rates inside there tariffs now but only 4 or 5 hours per night. Needs investigation and I did look at solar with a storage bank as you have but right now the home change set up I have is doing the job for not much extra cost.

I've made this my everyday choice now so as to get with the program and my only ICE choice now is the Mclaren which is not a practical every day car so I will see how this goes - once we get some normality back to life !

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
There will definitely be many more Ionity and other fast charging sites going live in 2021. For example, there is a planning application for a 17 bay Ionity site in Stafford.

Having said that, I can currently do my trip to Scotland using solely 125 kW+ or Ionity chargers for the entire trip. Once I am there, the local ChargePlace Scotland charger network is free. We have no mains electricity at our cottage but the local village has a CCS charger which we plug into whilst shopping. Ironically, the nearest petrol station is 10 miles away!

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
Specified range is a bit of an unknown too. Considering you can't go below 6 percent charge and ideally - for best battery life, an optimum charge level of 85 percent is recommended, the real usable range is around a 188 miles unless you think ahead and give it full charge knowing you are going to need more for your scheduled trip. Trouble is that last 15 percent when home charging takes a whole lot longer, and unless you do the 'direct charging now' thing in the connect app then you are likely to get a 'target charge will not be achievable' message - just before you are about to leave, having had the car connected for plenty long enough but the 'timer charging session' with your departure time set has got the calculation wrong - even though you specified 100 percent
Intrigued - are you saying it doesn't charge at all without "direct charging now" being on?

OP
OP
Hootch280

Hootch280

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Intrigued - are you saying it doesn't charge at all without "direct charging now" being on?
Hi Rob
No it charges on a timed charge - by which I mean ready to go by a specific time and optimised charging schedule is used in conjunction with that - the timer and the charging profile work hand in hand. Optimised takes it to 85% of full charge for a couple of reasons
Firstly - that's the recommended for long battery life - especially if you top it up every night.
Secondly - the last 15 percent is charged at a much lower rate to balance out the charge over the many battery cells
I often get the message even though it been connected many hours before it starts the charging sequence ' target charge will not be achievable ' which I find odd since it decided how long it needs to charge to reach the set level. I think I know why that occurs and its because of the battery temperature - it doesn't know what the temperature will be and thinks it will be the same as it is at the time it calculates when it needs start - which at this time of year it very rarely is ! So it will make 2 or 3 percent less that the target 85% - again reducing range.
At that percentage (83/85%) the range is 200 miles give or take a few. Given the 6 percent reserve at the bottom end of the battery that it needs to hold then that could be a 12 - 15 mile reduction in range. What I have yet to learn is if the projected range takes that 6 percent withholding into account in its useable range calculation.
If you have a long trip planned and want to be sure you have 100% charge and all the range you can get then stick it on and direct charge straight away to ensure you have max range when you are ready to leave. Even adjusting the optimum charge level to 100% in the your timed profile and allowing the car to work out when to start the charge sequence can result in you not reaching the desired charge due to the reasons above - battery tempeperature and slower charge rate due to cell balancing for the last 15 % to maximum 100 %
Hope this make it clearer

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
Hi Rob
No it charges on a timed charge - by which I mean ready to go by a specific time and optimised charging schedule is used in conjunction with that - the timer and the charging profile work hand in hand. Optimised takes it to 85% of full charge for a couple of reasons
Firstly - that's the recommended for long battery life - especially if you top it up every night.
Secondly - the last 15 percent is charged at a much lower rate to balance out the charge over the many battery cells
I often get the message even though it been connected many hours before it starts the charging sequence ' target charge will not be achievable ' which I find odd since it decided how long it needs to charge to reach the set level. I think I know why that occurs and its because of the battery temperature - it doesn't know what the temperature will be and thinks it will be the same as it is at the time it calculates when it needs start - which at this time of year it very rarely is ! So it will make 2 or 3 percent less that the target 85% - again reducing range.
At that percentage (83/85%) the range is 200 miles give or take a few. Given the 6 percent reserve at the bottom end of the battery that it needs to hold then that could be a 12 - 15 mile reduction in range. What I have yet to learn is if the projected range takes that 6 percent withholding into account in its useable range calculation.
If you have a long trip planned and want to be sure you have 100% charge and all the range you can get then stick it on and direct charge straight away to ensure you have max range when you are ready to leave. Even adjusting the optimum charge level to 100% in the your timed profile and allowing the car to work out when to start the charge sequence can result in you not reaching the desired charge due to the reasons above - battery tempeperature and slower charge rate due to cell balancing for the last 15 % to maximum 100 %
Hope this make it clearer
Yes, much clearer thanks. It's being too clever in one respect and not clever enough in the other due to the battery temp. Before you had replied I wondered if it was potentially battery temp related.

Certainly going to be "fascinating" when it finally arrives!

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
Where will the charger in Stafford be? Thats where I work.

Watts Up is a decent app. You can see which chargers at a glance.
I only use Instavolt Ionity Shell usually. Found a decent osprey one yesterday too.

My only gripe with the car is range. Mines down to 152. Started at 200 when I bought it. Thats not much better than a Leaf.

Im going to speak to the dealer about a factory reset in case that helps.

There will definitely be many more Ionity and other fast charging sites going live in 2021. For example, there is a planning application for a 17 bay Ionity site in Stafford.

Having said that, I can currently do my trip to Scotland using solely 125 kW+ or Ionity chargers for the entire trip. Once I am there, the local ChargePlace Scotland charger network is free. We have no mains electricity at our cottage but the local village has a CCS charger which we plug into whilst shopping. Ironically, the nearest petrol station is 10 miles away!

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
New Starbucks drive-thru planned for Stafford - Staffordshire Live (staffordshire-live.co.uk)

Nice! I pass it on the way to work.

Where will the charger in Stafford be? Thats where I work.

Watts Up is a decent app. You can see which chargers at a glance.
I only use Instavolt Ionity Shell usually. Found a decent osprey one yesterday too.

My only gripe with the car is range. Mines down to 152. Started at 200 when I bought it. Thats not much better than a Leaf.

Im going to speak to the dealer about a factory reset in case that helps.
Sponsored