How to set to profile to only charge to 85%

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
It is 5% over 180 miles. No, the battery does not warm up in 10 or 20 miles in cold weather (anything less than 30F) - it takes about 1 hour of driving to get the battery above 50F. Signing out here.
Sponsored

ndw8790

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
many
Country flag
... again, you don't need a profile or a timer to do this. Just select "Direct Charging" the night before your trip.

The only reason you really need a timer or profile is if you want to take advantage of lower electrical costs at some point during the night or if you want to pre-condition the environment in your car.

euh, you're *completely* wrong...

It's quite simple.

A profile = the minimal charge you want at all times when you need your car.

If the location has better/worse times to charge, you can set them there.

A timer = when you want your car to be ready to drive (at that moment). You set the chargelevel and the interior temperature and more importantly: your battery will be at an optimal temperature for the drive.

So if you have a fixed schedule, e.g. you leave for work every workday at 7.30, do use the timer.

It will make sure your battery has an optimal temperature for best performance and efficiency and your cabin will be heated/cooled using the plug.

So I have two profiles, one for my home and one for my office, just setting the charge level to 40%, which is enough to take me from the one place to the other.

And I have a timer set at 7.30 to charge to 80% with a cabin temperature at 21°C and a timer set at 19.00 with a charge level of 50% and a cabin temperature at 21°C.

If you don't have a schedule, then indeed, only use the profile.

Using direct charge or pressing the button next so the socket will charge your car to 100%. That's not what you want.

So it's not complicated at all *sigh*

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
euh, you're *completely* wrong...

It's quite simple.

If the location has better/worse times to charge, you can set them there.

A timer = when you want your car to be ready to drive (at that moment). You set the chargelevel and the interior temperature and more importantly: your battery will be at an optimal temperature for the drive.

So if you have a fixed schedule, e.g. you leave for work every workday at 7.30, do use the timer.

It will make sure your battery has an optimal temperature for best performance and efficiency and your cabin will be heated/cooled using the plug.

So I have two profiles, one for my home and one for my office, just setting the charge level to 40%, which is enough to take me from the one place to the other.

And I have a timer set at 7.30 to charge to 80% with a cabin temperature at 21°C and a timer set at 19.00 with a charge level of 50% and a cabin temperature at 21°C.

If you don't have a schedule, then indeed, only use the profile.

Using direct charge or pressing the button next so the socket will charge your car to 100%. That's not what you want.

So it's not complicated at all *sigh*
Well... I've been charging my car to 85% since it arrived in August this very way. So I guess my car is also "completely wrong".

- I have no timers...

- I have no profiles (other than the "default" profile)

- I do not use Porsche Connect to "adjust" anything

- I plug my car in anytime/everytime it is in the garage (regardless of current SOC)

- I simply set the "min charge level" in the default profile to 85% ONCE (in August) and left it that way...

(...and, as I've said before, I only select "Direct Charging" on the rare occasions I want a full 100% charge a for a long trip the next day.)

*** Its pretty amazing how my car is ALWAYS waiting for me with 85% charge any time / every time I get into it. I guess my car is "Completely Wrong" as well...

(You read THIS as well, right?)

Last edited:

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Well... I've been charging my car to 85% since it arrived in August this very way. So I guess my car is also "completely wrong".

- I have no timers...

- I plug my car in anytime/everytime it is in the garage (regardless of current SOC)

- I simply set the "min charge level" in the default profile to 85% ONCE (in August) and left it that way...

(...and, as I've said before, I only select "Direct Charging" on the rare occasions I want a full 100% charge a for a long trip the next day.)

*** Its pretty amazing how my car is ALWAYS waiting for me with 85% charge any time / every time I get into it. I guess my car is "Completely Wrong" as well...

Yes that's right.
As long as you don't set preferred charging times in the profile. If you do set preferred charging times then the %age charge you enter acts as an immediate minimum and then it will restart charging again within the preferred charging times potentially charging up to 100%. Perhaps this is why some are confused.
Have owned my Taycan for 7 months now and have had no problems with charging etc.

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes that's right.
As long as you don't set preferred charging charging in the profile. If you do set preferred charging times then the %age charge you enter acts as an immediate minimum and then it will restart charging again within the preferred charging times potentially charging up to 100%. Perhaps this is why some are confused.
Have owned my Taycan for 7 months now and have had no problems with charging etc.
Yes, lots of needless confusion because folks THINK they need custom profiles or timers when most probably do not...

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

- I have no timers...

I've been charging the same way since May. Simple default general profile with 85% min (which is really the target SOC). If I need extra range the next day, I just use the Direct Charging. Generally, I don't charge unless I drop below 40% SOC. Totally agree that Porsche made this needlessly complicated and confusing.

ndw8790

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
many
Country flag
Well, no that's not amazing, that's exactly what I wrote in the third line of my post:

So you put it to 85%. You plug your car in and it starts charging to 85%, which is finished by eg. 23.00.

When you leave your house at 7.30, you start with a cold car and a cold battery.

Which is less efficient than if your car would have started charging not when you got home, but e.g. at 04.00 to be at the desired charge level at 7.30 with a warm battery (for optimal performancy, battery life, etc) and with a warm car.

As said, if you don't have a schedule, just use profile(s). And the different profiles are indeed completely optional for further finetuning.

If you do have a more or less fixed schedule, limit the profile charge to the minimum and use timers on top of the profile. And you will start with a car that is warm and has a warm battery.

The car gives all options for all use cases. It's brilliantly designed. Stop whining.

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, no that's not amazing, that's exactly what I wrote in the third line of my post:

So you put it to 85%. You plug your car in and it starts charging to 85%, which is finished by eg. 23.00.

When you leave your house at 7.30, you start with a cold car and a cold battery.

Which is less efficient than if your car would have started charging not when you got home, but e.g. at 04.00 to be at the desired charge level at 7.30 with a warm battery (for optimal performancy, battery life, etc) and with a warm car.

As said, if you don't have a schedule, just use profile(s). And the different profiles are indeed completely optional for further finetuning.

If you do have a more or less fixed schedule, limit the profile charge to the minimum and use timers on top of the profile. And you will start with a car that is warm and has a warm battery.

The car gives all options for all use cases. It's brilliantly designed. Stop whining.
My car always starts warm as it sits in a heated garage. Like I said (as linked), you only need to use a timer if you want to precondition the car or take advantage of discounted electrical rates. I don't need this and many others don't need it either... However, some folks seem to think that they DO need to set a timer in order to limit an 85% charge which IS incorrect!

What exactly are you trying to argue about? Just curious, what am I "completely wrong" about?

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Can somebody tell me whether it is possible to limit my charge to 85% with a DC charger? My car does not have Porsche Connect.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Can somebody tell me whether it is possible to limit my charge to 85% with a DC charger? My car does not have Porsche Connect.
No not from the car or Connect app.

Mechanically yes, you have to unplug!

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Has someone tried this: Configure the general (default) profile to 85%, DISABLE direct charging, then plug in - will it stop at 85% or go to 100%?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Has someone tried this: Configure the general (default) profile to 85%, DISABLE direct charging, then plug in - will it stop at 85% or go to 100%?
EXACTLY

This is specifically what works and is so easy. This is exactly what I (and others) have been suggesting. No custom profiles and no timers required!

As I've stated MANY times:

1. Simply set the "Min Charge" on the default profile to 85%

2. Plug your car in whenever parked at your charger.

3. It will charge to 85% and then stop charging.

I've been doing this since I took delivery last August. My car is ALWAYS waiting for me with an 85% charge. I don't need to continually mess with anything. No magic, No Timers, No Custom profiles. I just set the "Min Charge" in the default profile ONCE (way back in August) and never changed anything since. (I, as most other Tesla owners, have been doing this for years with our "other" EV's as well).

*** The only time I've ever made any adjustments to my charging was the night before a long trip when I simply selected "Direct Charging" to get a 100% charge. Its also nice that you don't have to undo the Direct Charging "override" as it is automatically turned off when the car is unplugged.

You absolutely don't need to mess with custom profiles or timers unless you want to precondition your car or take advantage of discounted electrical rates late at night.

Why not take advantage of the convenience and simplicity which CAN be a big benefit of EV ownership?

Set your default charge level to 85%, plug in your car whenever it is parked at the charger, and FUGGEDABOUDIT!

(You might even save your 12v Battery in the process...)

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
This is turning into quite a charged topic — pun intended.

I think Porsche is just trying to give owners options and like so many things in life, too many options equates to confusion. Plus owning an EV requires a whole new set of knowledge akin to moving from a horse drawn carriage to an ICE. I am sure the first users of an ICE were terrified of blowing themselves up — just as we are all concerned about doing something bad to the car/causing the 12V battery jinx, the longevity of our battery, etc.

As I said, I think it is a learning process and find some of the tips and tricks people share here a great resource. So let’s agree to disagree at times ;-)

I for one have now ended up using timers and profiles! I like the benefit it brings — I can also see why some would not need them — but without this forum I would not have figured it out from “just reading the manual“. This from a noob who only became an EV owner two weeks ago!

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you are worried about the baterry longevity, my advice is to lease your EV and return it after 3 years ?.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is turning into quite a charged topic — pun intended.

I think Porsche is just trying to give owners options and like so many things in life, too many options equates to confusion. Plus owning an EV requires a whole new set of knowledge akin to moving from a horse drawn carriage to an ICE. I am sure the first users of an ICE were terrified of blowing themselves up — just as we are all concerned about doing something bad to the car/causing the 12V battery jinx, the longevity of our battery, etc.

As I said, I think it is a learning process and find some of the tips and tricks people share here a great resource. So let’s agree to disagree at times ;-)

I for one have now ended up using timers and profiles! I like the benefit it brings — I can also see why some would not need them — but without this forum I would not have figured it out from “just reading the manual“. This from a noob who only became an EV owner two weeks ago!
Sure, but there is also much misleading information stating that you MUST use custom profiles and timers in order to set a max charge level. Take a look at the second post in this thread for example. Its completely incorrect!

I think it is most helpful if folks understand that it doesn't NEED to be this complicated. Just set your nightly charge level and forget it.

While some folks might find profiles/timers useful (for preconditioning or to access reduced electrical rates), there is also significant speculation that it is this very feature (inc remote charging manipulation via the Connect App) which is causing the PCM to wake up, never shut off, and completely drain/kill the 12v battery. (You can find multiple threads this discussing this very real issue.)

I would submit that one would normally show someone the EASIEST way to do something first and then explain additional, more complicated, variations later. Sure, some folks might actually need/want these features but also many do not. I prefer to reap the benefits of the simplicity of EV ownership.

I don't take issue with explanations of how custom profiles and timers might be used (and why), but folks are being told that you MUST use them to set charging limits and its simply not true.
Sponsored