Difference Turbo vs. Turbo S : Boost function

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... clearly too many of them
Country flag
Hi all!

Both - Turbo and Turbo S - have 625 PS .... there is only a difference in Boost mode .. but how does it work?

Porsche tells that the Boost mode is working during Launch control ... does it mean only at Launch control is a difference between Turbo and Turbo S (performance wise)?

But why there is so a big range difference between them? ...

Does anybody know an answer? ... how to boost during driving? ... does it boost on full throttle automatically for 2.5s?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e, MB S 63 Coupe AMG, MB CLS 63 AMG, Audi R8, BMW 330i, Audi TTS, VW Golf
Country flag
Compare time from 60-100 after boost is done. 4S is quicker.

there was an German article about the differences. 4S has a different front engine with more NM.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi all!

Both - Turbo and Turbo S - have 625 PS .... there is only a difference in Boost mode .. but how does it work?

Porsche tells that the Boost mode is working during Launch control ... does it mean only at Launch control is a difference between Turbo and Turbo S (performance wise)?

But why there is so a big range difference between them? ...

Does anybody know an answer? ... how to boost during driving? ... does it boost on full throttle automatically for 2.5s?
there are more albeit small differences. The regular turbo has a lower drag coefficient and smaller tires. Those significantly impact the range.

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
I just looked at the Porsche configurator and both models show identical dimensions.

OHWHATDA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Country flag
I tried to find my source, but since I’ve read maybe 20 different articles since the Taycan launch that’s going to be hard. It may have been a mistake on my part.

BobM

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, BMW E36 M3
Country flag
The majority of the range difference between Turbo and Turbo S will be the 20" versus 21" wheels. Bigger wheels have quite a significant impact on range.

Mike V

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
918, Taycan GTS ST, Tesla Model S P100D
Country flag
The majority of the range difference between Turbo and Turbo S will be the 20" versus 21" wheels. Bigger wheels have quite a significant impact on range.
The width and construction of the tires are the difference. The 21" tires are 20mm wider and are more "sport" oriented in design and "energy efficiency class C". The narrower 20" tires are compounded for better range instead of sporty grip and are "energy efficiency class B".

The higher "energy efficiency" results in about a 9% improvement in range due to rolling resistance for the 20" setup.

OP
OP

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... clearly too many of them
Country flag
I found on Porsche website the 80-120 km/h times ... Turbo 1,9 seconds ... and Turbo S 1,7 seconds ... not so bad

Snake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e, MB S 63 Coupe AMG, MB CLS 63 AMG, Audi R8, BMW 330i, Audi TTS, VW Golf
Country flag
No, the S has a different Front Motor with More power.
Sponsored