Electrify AMERICA - Anyone having trouble getting free charging at the local level?

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Anyone having trouble getting free charging at the local level? For me its as if they have my VIN and and always have a reason for not getting it to work.
Try calling Porsche Road Service and you get some yocal from a towing service or voice mail. On Sunday they don't work at all. So I have a fancy Town car! I can deal with that but they shouldn't offer free charging for three years if they're not willing to honor it.

Garry Crook
Sponsored

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
Garry, are you initiating the Charge on the Porsche Charging NA app or the Porsche Connect app?
If you initiate the charge with the Electrify America app it will not provide a "free" charge. You should be able to call EA and they can assist. Porsche Roadside is not much help here.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Anyone having trouble getting free charging at the local level? For me its as if they have my VIN and and always have a reason for not getting it to work.
Try calling Porsche Road Service and you get some yocal from a towing service or voice mail. On Sunday they don't work at all. So I have a fancy Town car! I can deal with that but they shouldn't offer free charging for three years if they're not willing to honor it.

Garry Crook
Oooh, big tasty topic! Stand by for incoming! ;-)

First and Foremost (please!): This is NOT FREE CHARGING. I know we all call it FREE charging, but the PRICE of this charging was worked into the price we paid for our cars by the Porsche Bean Counters. We all paid for this when we bought the car and its a product/service which was included with the vehicle and to which we are entitled. We need to stop calling it "FREE" charging...

Now about that Free Charging... ;-)

I did a 1400 mile road trip in the Taycan last Sept and out of the 7 EA charging stations (each way), 2 were COMPLETELY out of service. Not individual terminals, but ALL terminals at BOTH stations (4 at one and 6 at the other). (It was 30 miles to the next station in one case, 45 in the other if I remember correctly. Luckily I planned enough reserve range that I did not have to back track.)

There is a great deal of unreliability (and frustration) in both of the Porsche Apps (Porsche Connect and Charging NA) required to activate your "Pre-Paid" charging. It has gotten a bit better since the end of October but trying to activate a Pre-Paid charge via the Porsche apps can be quite frustrating.

...so much so, that I prefer to pay (again) and use the Electrify America app rather than fight with the Porsche Software. (You will also want to set up an EA account). It is easily the most reliable and efficient method to get a charge started at an EA charging station.

So, my first suggestion, would be for you to see if its a "Porsche" (app) problem or truly an EA problem. Just because you can't get a charge started with either Porsche app, doesn't mean there is an issue with the EA charging service. Sure, try one (or both) of the Porsche apps first, but always keep the EA app handy to try before you call support (unless you want to spend extra time on the phone to explain your situation and ask EA to waive the associated charging fee).

I still try to use the Porsche apps occasionally. Mostly just to see how/if thing have improved. But honestly, if I'm on the road, I'm just going to fire up the EA app and start my charge. I have better things to do at zero-dark thirty then fight with stupid software which has a very high probability (in my experience) of failing in the end....

Additionally, you would be better off calling Electrify America Support than Porsche Roadside Assistance. Although some folks have reported good success in calling EA Support (when they can't get a charge started), it should be noted that my calling EA at both of those dead stations couldn't get any terminals charging at either of them. In my experience, if the EA App couldn't get a charger going, neither could their tech support. If you DO get some success with EA Support, they can also waive the charging fee if you want to take the time to explain your entitlement.

You probably want to always keep a little margin in the tank (30%) depending on the availability of stations along the route. I would NEVER plan for stops at 10% SOC (as ABRP suggests) due to the relative unreliability and sparsity of charging stations on the open road. Sure, I let ABRP plan my route with a 10% arrival SOC, but then I typically charge up to 85% even if ABRP tells me I don't need that much to reach my next station (and "bank" the balance).

Last edited:
OP
OP
garry@visionconstruction.
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you Tom and Ed I joined EA before I received the car in June because I thought I would have to pay for charging. I didn't know about the, pardon me, free charging. Anyway I have done all the things you both suggested for months.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
So what is the step by step way to get this to work? (Which apps, process etc).

Thanks

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Thanks
Here is what I do:
1. I plug in the CCS cable to my car
2. Select the charger from the Charging NA app and initiate charging. This has to be done withing ~20 sec after you plug in otherwise it times out.

To use Charging NA app you need a Porsche Id account since the app redirects authentication to Porsche ID. So have that set up and make sure the Charging NA app is logged in before you charge. My app usually requires me to refresh the log in every few days.

I also want to add to a previous comment about station unavailability. Yesterday I was in a location with 3 stations, only 1 would show up in the Charging NA app. The EA app was showing the location as "coming soon" even though it is open for months and I have used it multiple times. The location was listed as ready a few weeks ago. The other 2 stations were up and running and you could charge with them if you used a credit card. I called EA support, and they said they did not know why the 2 stations were not showing up. They said I have to contact Porsche because they own the Charging NA app. Moreover I was never able to get a faster rate than 60kwh in any these stations even though they are rated for 150kwh. There was no other car charging either so I was not sharing power.

I have had a much better experience with Chargepoint.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Thanks
Oh God...

Steps "supposed" to get it to work? ...or steps which have the best odds of getting it working?

You SHOULD be able to use Porsche Connect or Porsche Charging NA to activate a "pre-paid" charging session once you are sitting at a charger and plugged in. Although they largely didn't work at all when I first got my car (August) things have improved slightly since updates released at the end of October. If you are running IOS you may also have a slightly more reliable experience than those of us "red haired stepchildren" running Android.

(Please forgive me as I am doing most of this from memory)

Using either Porsche App, you should be able to identify nearby chargers, select the charger you are at (by charger ID on the terminal) and then activate the charge. I will tell you, however, if you are using Porsche Connect, it will mindlessly fight with you to allow you to select a nearby station as the icon displayed for your car largely covers up the "nearby station" you are sitting at. You have to zoom in to some ridiculous level such that the software can discriminate between the two icons. Note also that Porsche connect also requires you to enable "charging stations" by clicking on that little lightening bolt while you are using the "explore" map.

If you are using Charging NA, then the process is somewhat more obvious. Select the nearby station, select the big green button to "start charge" (or something like that). DO NOT be distracted by the listing of available chargers below the big green button. They are only there to misdirect the weak and unworthy! Once you click on the big green CHARGE button, only then will you be presented with a list of terminal ID's to be chosen. (Each charging terminal has a charging ID printed at the top). It should also be noted that the Charging NA app will provide a button which then says something like "PAY for Charge" (even though you will not be charged).

BY FAR, (in my experience) the most reliable method to start a charge is with the EA app. Its a similar process except that it seems to work MOST of the time. It will be your personal decision how much pain and frustration the quest for those "free" charges (if you wish to use the Porsche Software) is really worth...

I suggest that EVERY Taycan owner do this:

- Pick an afternoon when you have some time. Lots of time. It should be nice weather as you are going to spend a long time leaning against your car/charging terminal/etc.

- Pick an EA charging station not too far from your home (with enough range so you can get back home if charging fails - not kidding here). Pick a station at a nice location in a nice neighborhood - again, as you are going to spend a long time leaning against your car/charging terminal/etc.

- Drive to that station (starting with a full charge) and test each and every one of the above apps so you can become familiar with every one of them and all their peculiarities and shortcomings. You will likely get a very quick education in what to expect and which app/method you prefer.

- Assuming you get a particular app to work, don't just stop there. Let it run for several minutes to confirm its truly is working, and then stop the charge, unplug the car, and start the process with the next app in your arsenal. You are going to need each and every one of them. You will want to know how each and every app works (or not) before you are sitting in the rain in some scrubby neighborhood at zero-dark-thirty on a very long road trip.

OP
OP
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here is what I do:
2. Select the charger from the Charging NA app and initiate charging. This has to be done withing ~20 sec after you plug in otherwise it times out.

To use Charging NA app you need a Porsche Id account since the app redirects authentication to Porsche ID. So have that set up and make sure the Charging NA app is logged in before you charge. My app usually requires me to refresh the log in every few days.

I also want to add to a previous comment about station unavailability. Yesterday I was in a location with 3 stations, only 1 would show up in the Charging NA app. The EA app was showing the location as "coming soon" even though it is open for months and I have used it multiple times. The location was listed as ready a few weeks ago. The other 2 stations were up and running and you could charge with them if you used a credit card. I called EA support, and they said they did not know why the 2 stations were not showing up. They said I have to contact Porsche because they own the Charging NA app. Moreover I was never able to get a faster rate than 60kwh in any these stations even though they are rated for 150kwh. There was no other car charging either so I was not sharing power.

Here is what I do:

Chrisk your last paragraph is more like the runaround I have been getting here in Pensacola since June. The last three sessions never got past initiating and then an error message is displayed. EA agent apologizes and reboots the charger...then the same. Then they want me to move to another charger. I don't have time for this.

Garry Crook

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is what I do:

The charging rate at a particular charger is largely dependent on the current SOC of your car. Just because a terminal is rated at 150KW (or even 350KW) doesn't mean that is what you are going to get. It is merely what the terminal is capable of. For example: You would almost never see anything near 350KW (regardless of the terminal rating) unless your SOC is very low (5-10%). You should see something in the neighborhood of 100-150K though if you are sitting at about 80-85% (assuming the terminal is capable).

What was your SOC when you were seeing 60KW at that 150KW terminal ? Was anyone connected to the second cable in that terminal at the same time? Was your battery relatively warm when you started charging?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Chrisk your last paragraph is more like the runaround I have been getting here in Pensacola since June. The last three sessions never got past initiating and then an error message is displayed. EA agent apologizes and reboots the charger...then the same. Then they want me to move to another charger. I don't have time for this.

Garry Crook
Although some folks have reported good results by calling EA support, I'm curious what app they were trying to use when they failed to get a charge activated?

- If you are using a Porsche App and can't get a charge started then I expect calling EA support might very well be able to get it going.

- However, in my experience, if I couldn't get a charging session started using the EA app, then neither could EA tech support.

I would always go to the EA App before calling EA tech support (as its generally pretty time consuming).

I will also add that Porsche Roadside Assistance is NEVER going to be able to help you get a charging session started. They simply don't have any access/control to the infrastructure. If you call them, they will tell you to call EA.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The charging rate at a particular charger is largely dependent on the current SOC of your car. Just because a terminal is rated at 150KW (or even 350KW) doesn't mean that is what you are going to get. It is merely what the terminal is capable of. For example: You would almost never see anything near 350KW (regardless of the terminal rating) unless your SOC is very low (5-10%). You should see something in the neighborhood of 100-150K though if you are sitting at about 80-85% (assuming the terminal is capable).

What was your SOC when you were seeing 60KW at that 150KW terminal ? Was anyone connected to the second cable in that terminal at the same time? Was your battery relatively warm when you started charging?
I am lucky enough to have both EA (rated 150kwh) and Chargepoing DC (rated 50kwh) chargers nearby and I have experiment multiple times with both starting with same SOC, same exterior and battery temperatures. Chargepoint always provides a steady 50kwh (as rated) until SOC reaches 85% and then it drops which is expected.
The EA station is random. It will do anything between 20 to 60kwh even when SOC is much lower than 85%. My point is that sometimes I cannot even get 50kwh rate at the EA station with SOC << 85% but Chargepoint would give me 50kwh at exactly same circumstances.

No other car was charging in either location.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am lucky enough to have both EA (rated 150kwh) and Chargepoing DC (rated 50kwh) chargers nearby and I have experiment multiple times with both starting with same SOC, same exterior and battery temperatures. Chargepoint always provides a steady 50kwh (as rated) until SOC reaches 85% and then it drops which is expected.
The EA station is random. It will do anything between 20 to 60kwh even when SOC is much lower than 85%. My point is that sometimes I cannot even get 50kwh rate at the EA station with SOC << 85% but Chargepoint would certainly give me 50kwh at the exactly same circumstances.

No other car was charging in either location.
I would expect to charge at 100-150KW at 85% SOC as long as the charger is capable and your battery is prepared (warmed). Have you reported this to EA (or posted it on PlugShare)?

For what its worth, I would also NOT expect the 50KW ChargePoint charger to start tapering at 85% if its only delivering 50KW. I haven't been forced to charge at many 50KW terminals though (luckily).

OP
OP
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would expect to charge at 100-150KW at 85% SOC as long as the charger is capable and your battery is prepared (warmed). Have you reported this to EA (or posted it on PlugShare)?

For what its worth, I would also NOT expect the 50KW ChargePoint charger to start tapering at 85% if its only delivering 50KW. I haven't been forced to charge at many 50KW terminals though (luckily).
Thank you all for your comments. I'm under 100 miles of range so I will be heading to the charger this week.

Regards,

Garry Crook