manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Modified 3 motor Model S. Looks like a new performance model above the current P100D.

Porsche Taycan Oh my! Someone wasn’t lying! Elon Twitter

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do we know how different the pre-production cars are from series production that Porsche tests on the ‘Ring? Do the Tesla fans know that Porsche has testing on the ‘Ring as standard practice for decades with almost every car line they produce? I feel like their record setting lap got taken as a personal affront to Tesla fans when it’s just a normal part of their testing regimen, as evidenced by the countless videos we’ve seen and their previous solo runs with many other cars.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
Do we know how different the pre-production cars are from series production that Porsche tests on the ‘Ring? Do the Tesla fans know that Porsche has testing on the ‘Ring as standard practice for decades with almost every car line they produce? I feel like their record setting lap got taken as a personal affront to Tesla fans when it’s just a normal part of their testing regimen, as evidenced by the countless videos we’ve seen and their previous solo runs with many other cars.
I mean. What are you trying to say?
Are you indicating that Tesla both developed and fly over a new generation model s overnight?

I’m seeing EVs duke it out as nothing but positive.

The model 3 fixed the overheating issues, so assuming the new s adopts that to prevent its notoriety for overheating, plus a 3rd motor... I am very excited to see the results.

As for whatever legacy you try to claim Porsche is on the Nürburgring... same can be said for the Taycan S attempt to sway Tesla fanboys.
I mean we can go back and forward all day, but surely you agree all of this is nothing but positive!

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Tesla has been developing the 3 motor drivetrain for the upcoming Roadster 2. No doubt they have been using Model S mules for testing. The decision to take one of these mules to Laguna Seca and set a sedan lap record and send another car to the Ring was no doubt motivated by Porsche knocking Tesla’s capabilities for sustained performance.

Releasing the 3 motor drivetrain developed for Roadster 2 as an upgrade to S/X is very similar to what Tesla did back in 2014 when the released the dual motor configuration developed for Model X in the S first.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I understand Tesla is using PSM motors now so the overheating can be addressed.
Still, using 400V instead of 800V gives you twice the current and still a lot of heat.
Also, the Taycan has a two-speed.
Porsche has better engineering but that's no surprise.
Tesla can also do that cuz it has some of the best engineers of the automotive industry.
Tesla may be relatively new, it's engineers surely aren't as they come from Toyota, Mercedes and Volkswagen AG.
I'm sure the record will be broken (that's what records are for, right?) but it's not going to be easy.
And, more importantly, that Tesla will be a lot more expensive when they want that spec to be a production model spec...

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think it’s all good and the competition is great. My vague point was that Porsche for years had plucked an almost finished production series car and run it around the ‘Ring as part of normal testing. Most of the reactions I see from Tesla fans seem like they think Porsche did this as a stunt specifically to tweak Tesla and as a personal affront to Musk, which seems loony.

From: Porsche, Tesla face off for electric-vehicle crown on famed German race track
https://www.latimes.com/business/st...ersus-tesla-facing-off-in-germanys-green-hell

“Blume said Friday the respect is mutual, but he was careful to note the Taycan’s record was achieved with a normal series production car that came straight from the assembly line and can be purchased by customers. Tesla, by contrast, has already been working for about two weeks near the track to modify a Model S for racing purposes to achieve the fastest-possible time, the Porsche CEO said.”

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some spectator eye balled it. It’s about as unofficial and unscientific as you could possibly get. Honestly, it means nothing because it’s a modified prototype and non production tires. When it’s a factory unit on top trim tires, we’ll see.

I don’t doubt Tesla, with considerably better battery tech and a 3 motor power train, can do better. That shouldn’t be news to anyone. What’s far more interesting is will they, and at what price will they sell it. It seems they’ve already decided to push the roadster out another year to deploy this power train in the Model S sooner.

That’s interesting news. They really need to be focused on Model Y and truck production. But model S sales are flagging and apparently they’re concerned about the taycan stealing some of their most profitable customers. Remember 3 months ago they were quite adamant that there wasn’t a model S rev forthcoming.

The competition is great. Looks like we customers get winning choices. But this ad hoc timing as world news thing is bs.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
This attempt states that it can't be done with a standard Model S P100DL and that, Porsche, is a good show.
Tesla has to modify a car to be even competitive.
Besides, Porsche can do it again on the same tires as this Model S Plaid and let's see what that brings...
All in all, Porsche has the record for at least a year.
Officially.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
What I find most interesting about Tesla's Nurburgring run is regardless of the modifications, who would have thought a 5000lbs EV could run a 7:23 around the ring? It's impressive either way. It will be more impressive if they actually deliver this performance from a production vehicle.

A 7:23 is in the company of the Ferrari 488 and the 991.2 Carrera GTS.

beaudawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This attempt states that it can't be done with a standard Model S P100DL and that, Porsche, is a good show.
Tesla has to modify a car to be even competitive.
Besides, Porsche can do it again on the same tires as this Model S Plaid and let's see what that brings...
All in all, Porsche has the record for at least a year.
Officially.
Porsche will have the official record once they post an official time. Currently, that is not the case. And slapping Cup 2 R tires on the Taycan will probably be good for a ~10 second improvement, which only halves the difference.

These are exciting times, but they would be so much more fun if everyone could just sit back and enjoy the show rather than trying to defend their preferred manufacturer. End of the day, this competition will be good for all of us.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Well, it only shows these EVs are pretty damn fast!
Try doing a lap under 10 minutes is an achievement by itself.
Indeed, these are exciting times!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Still, Porsche has a card to play: the record was set by the Taycan Turbo according to Stefan Weckbach in Car&Driver.
So...take the Turbo S with standard PCCB and some more power boost here and there, including better tires, it'll be fine, I'm sure.
Brakes can make a huge difference with heavy cars, although it's a (mostly) high speed circuit.
Sponsored