Taycan RWD Base U.S.: What are the "must haves" Options & Equipment in a New RWD Base Build?

mkerdman

First Name
Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, 2019 Mercedes-Benz E450 Wagon, 2011 BMW 528i
Country flag
I am going to buy a U.S. Taycan Base and need some advice on the "must haves" in Options & Equipment in a New Base Build.

I plan to get the Larger Battery for Range and Performance.

I am intending to stay under what Porsche will Residualize in Optional Equipment.

Thanks in advance for your Advice and Options.

Murray
Sponsored

galaxyclass

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla M3LR, RAM 1500 2019, MB SLK 200
Country flag
My top priority items list were the performance battery, the LED light, the 18-way seats and the electric mirrors (are these anti-glare by default in the US? otherwise add)

Next priority were heat pump, park assist (incl. the low quality lens), Innodrive, power charge cover, heated seat, Bose sound, leather seats. In the US, you'd maybe skip Innodrive and select the premium package which isn't offered in my home country.

Next on the list: 20" wheels (although 19" do look ugly), rear axle steering w/ power steering, ambient light, seat ventilation, heated steering wheel, storage package. PSCB brake as well.

Finally Home Link, sport chrono, insulating glass, range manager, colored seat belts.

Low priority is anything else.

For the Base model, you might want to add the adaptive air suspension. Good for lowering or raising the vehicle. However, coils will do for sure as well under normal condtions.

Combinations are endless, and personal preferences are very volatile...:)

Some do like the panoramic roof. I had on in the Model S (think it came out great there), but don't miss it in the Taycan with a very different interior "feeling".

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
all of them including the check box for the “turbo S” package :p

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is my "stripper" build of a RWD Taycan - nothing but functional options that will enhance comfort and drivability - ignore the color and wheel choice you can get lost in the weeds there as they are both cosmetic and semi-functional choices and potentially expensive

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMLP4T9
  • J9K - bigger battery - duh - no EV owner ever says "my EV goes too far on a single charge"
  • 1BK - air suspension - the ride quality is seriously smooth
  • GH3 - torque vectoring - yeah it's RWD - you're gonna want this
  • ON5 - rear wheel steering - better turning radius and easier to park - it's a super long car
  • P49 - adaptive cruise control - really a no brainer these days - great in stop & go traffic and a standard option on low end Toyotas these days
  • 5KA - for that time you need to have 3 kids in the back
  • Q2J - 14 ways seats - the massage function is truly surprisingly good and 18 way are more constrained
  • 4D5 - massage
  • 2W9 - power charger port cover - closes it automatically for you on a daily basis
  • KM2 - 150 kW 400V DC charging support - saves time when you need it
  • QW5 - range management software - should get better over time - attempts to help plan your trip with charging stops.

OP
OP

mkerdman

First Name
Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is my "stripper" build of a RWD Taycan - nothing but functional options that will enhance comfort and drivability - ignore the color and wheel choice you can get lost in the weeds there as they are both cosmetic and semi-functional choices and potentially expensive

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMLP4T9
  • J9K - bigger battery - duh - no EV owner ever says "my EV goes too far on a single charge"
  • 1BK - air suspension - the ride quality is seriously smooth
  • GH3 - torque vectoring - yeah it's RWD - you're gonna want this
  • ON5 - rear wheel steering - better turning radius and easier to park - it's a super long car
  • P49 - adaptive cruise control - really a no brainer these days - great in stop & go traffic and a standard option on low end Toyotas these days
  • 5KA - for that time you need to have 3 kids in the back
  • Q2J - 14 ways seats - the massage function is truly surprisingly good and 18 way are more constrained
  • 4D5 - massage
  • 2W9 - power charger port cover - closes it automatically for you on a daily basis
  • KM2 - 150 kW 400V DC charging support - saves time when you need it
  • QW5 - range management software - should get better over time - attempts to help plan your trip with charging stops.
Thanks, not inexpensive Options, but will enhance performance and comfort.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
_IF_ you purchase the porsche charger - which I do not recommend - the $0 25 ft cord is a must check box!!!

you won't regret it.

OP
OP

mkerdman

First Name
Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
_IF_ you purchase the porsche charger - which I do not recommend - the $0 25 ft cord is a must check box!!!

you won't regret it.
I do find the list of EV Chargers, Cable and Connector Options confusing.

OP
OP

mkerdman

First Name
Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

you won't regret it.
Why do you not recommend the Porsche Charger?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why do you not recommend the Porsche Charger?
it's too expensive for what it is - and there are better competitive options and it overheats - Porsche charges $1200 for a product you can get elsewhere for $500 or less - and the optional products are better and more feature rich.

OP
OP

mkerdman

First Name
Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
it's too expensive for what it is - and there are better competitive options and it overheats - Porsche charges $1200 for a product you can get elsewhere for $500 or less - and the optional products are better and more feature rich.
Can you suggest one?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you suggest one?
for a mobile charger (one you can take with you while traveling) either Tesla Gen2 UMC _ adapter kit + TeslaTap or the Mustart Intelligent charger w/nice set of plug adapters - both of these 32 amp chargers are small, light, reliable, and affordable, and 1/2 the cost of of the porsche option and come with way more adapter cables.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/mustart-charger-review.3427/

for a "fixed" garage install I recommend ClipperCreek or Tesla Wall Chargers - ClipperCreek HCS40, HCS50 or HCS60 are all great choices.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ev-roadwarrior-adapters-“kit”.1364/

OP
OP

mkerdman

First Name
Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
for a mobile charger (one you can take with you while traveling) either Tesla Gen2 UMC _ adapter kit + TeslaTap or the Mustart Intelligent charger w/nice set of plug adapters - both of these 32 amp chargers are small, light, reliable, and affordable, and 1/2 the cost of of the porsche option and come with way more adapter cables.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/mustart-charger-review.3427/

for a "fixed" garage install I recommend ClipperCreek or Tesla Wall Chargers - ClipperCreek HCS40, HCS50 or HCS60 are all great choices.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ev-roadwarrior-adapters-“kit”.1364/
Thanks very much.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
NOTE: _IF_ you purchase any of the Tesla Chargers (either mobile or wall) you MUST also purchase a JDapter, TeslaTap to be able to use them with a Taycan or any non-Tesla EV

but it's ok - I recommend all EV owners have a TeslaTap or JDApter with their car anyways cause it so useful to be able to charge your EV at business/hotels/golf course that have Tesla charges installed for their customers - this adapter allows non-Tesla EV's to use those Tesla chargers as well...

so it's a generically useful adapter for ANY EV owner. But is a requirement if you're using Tesla charging equipment as your home solution.
Sponsored