NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If most of your drives are short duration (< 30 minutes), a lot of your consumption is battery heating to prepare for more efficient driving that never happens. If your departure time is predictable, setting a timer with pre-condition enabled at your departure time will help offset this. If it's not predictable, then you will have to live with what appears to be a significant impact on predicted range in a scenario where most of your driving is short duration trips vs. long duration.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I can’t seem to get my e-consumption below 55 kWh/100mi, which seems very high to me. Some trips have been as high as 70 kWh/100mi.
Go a bit faster on an empty road and hit the breaks hard. Get the regen going. Try out launch control with solid breaking afterwards.

Porsche Taycan 100% charge showing 175 mile range 1612067726295

Less than 28 kWh/100mi. Average temp 19°C, no AC, mostly city some city highway driving. Easy on the accelerator let it roll. I cannot test winter, because we don't have one.

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
You are in the same boat as me. I think its our roads a bit as the journeys tend to be shorter and more stop start.
I rarely get over 160 indicated and have done 6000 miles.
It does actually make much difference to me at least as how often will I drive over 160 miles in one go. I'd always stop somewhere amd might as well fill up along the way. Ive stopped bothering with range mode as it only adds about 5 miles and stick it in sport plus and drive it like a porsche. Doesn't seem to affect the range.

Can someone please help explain to me what I’m doing wrong with my standard 4S?

I’ve been driving in the U.K. over the past few weeks with temperatures ranging between around 3 and 13 degrees celsius.

I only ever drive with eco air conditioning and mostly rely on heated seats. The majority of driving is done in Normal mode.

I can’t seem to get my e-consumption below 55 kWh/100mi, which seems very high to me. Some trips have been as high as 70 kWh/100mi.

Predicted range is around 148 miles for 85% charge and in reality I fall far short of that.

What can I do to get better battery performance as so far I am incredibly disappointed ?

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you precondition?
I was told the only way was to navigate to a charger more than 50 miles away?
There is a pre cool/heat in the timers but thats for A/C interior temperature?

If most of your drives are short duration (< 30 minutes), a lot of your consumption is battery heating to prepare for more efficient driving that never happens. If your departure time is predictable, setting a timer with pre-condition enabled at your departure time will help offset this. If it's not predictable, then you will have to live with what appears to be a significant impact on predicted range in a scenario where most of your driving is short duration trips vs. long duration.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
According to others on this forum, if you set a departure timer while plugged in to charge AND enable pre-condition of the interior (which it looks like you have done), you will get some warming of the battery. I haven't had a need to try this myself, but I can tell you this summer when it was warmer so the battery was effectively always at a good operating temperature, I would routinely see 210 miles range charged to 80% (Turbo S with 21" wheels). Now that it's colder I'm seeing 180 miles range at 85% charge. But the battery is always colder and most trips are short so consumption is higher from pre-heating the battery. I could probably reduce that if I didn't have the drive mode set to Sport Plus (which will pre-heat the battery). The car bases range on your last few trips

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Its always the first thing someone asks when you tell them it's electric and when you say 170 to 200, people are very surprised, especially whens it Tesla owner who's asked :), knowing they can go 100 miles further. That all said I couldn't think of another car I'd want for everday use.

This is the most I seem to be able to get, which just fees abysmal to me.

DD6D4BC7-F7D3-4DBF-82E5-B21579621319.jpeg

64FCEC93-25B9-4784-9343-5053FB9F0FBB.jpeg

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
How do you precondition?
I was told the only way was to navigate to a charger more than 50 miles away?
There is a pre cool/heat in the timers but thats for A/C interior temperature?
I did not see if you have your car in a garage or if it lives outside? That will make a huge difference on the battery temperature when you start driving. I have tried this several times now and it works fine.

I do not know what power you need from your charger though. I have 11kW available. If you only have a normal household plug with 10 amps available, it might be different??

You can pre condition the car and also the battery when the car is plugged in. Set a timer with charging to be finished at say 07.00 or when you want to leave. Set the battery charge to slightly lower, 5% or so, compared to what you normally want. The charger seems to keep going slightly above the set target for some reason. This way the charger will charge and the cabin will be nice and toasty, as well as the battery will hve some extra heat.

I tried the above this afternoon before a trip. The battery temperature was about 8 degrees when I plugged in the car. I set the timer for 13.30 departure and cabin temp at 22 C. When we left the car was charged as needed, the cabin warm and the battery temperature had increased to 15 degrees C. My garage was at nearly the same temperature during the charge. A 100 km trip at average speed of 50 km/h gave a consumption of 21 kWh/100 km. Average temperature outside was about 11 C. At the end of the drive the battery temperature was 29 C. My trip meant a decent of 550 meters and ascent of the same, so not so much flat level driving and a mixture of Motorway and town driving.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I’m jumping in late but is that display accurate? If you are only getting what is essentially only 1.6miles to the kilowatt hour (62kwhr/100 miles) AND assuming you are not driving like you are on a racetrack that is just not right. Even in cold you should be getting 2.5 to 3 miles/KWHr efficiency.

putty_thing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e39 M5
Country flag
This is the most I seem to be able to get, which just fees abysmal to me.

64FCEC93-25B9-4784-9343-5053FB9F0FBB.jpeg
Most of the consumption figures I've seen from people in the UK, in the winter have been at least 2 miles per kW, eg, 0.5kW per mile. You're getting 0.62kW per mile so over 20% worse.. Seems like really high consumption.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Porsche Taycan 100% charge showing 175 mile range 1612118209186

How come your average speed is only 3 mph? Your car seems to have been turned on for a long time to only drive 217 miles in 82 hours. Something is wrong in that? Stuck in a snow drift?

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
I’m jumping in late but is that display accurate? If you are only getting what is essentially only 1.6miles to the kilowatt hour (62kwhr/100 miles) AND assuming you are not driving like you are on a racetrack that is just not right. Even in cold you should be getting 2.5 to 3 miles/KWHr efficiency.
very very bland driving and yes it seems accurate as my soc plummets at a commensurate rate when driving

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
Most of the consumption figures I've seen from people in the UK, in the winter have been at least 2 miles per kW, eg, 0.5kW per mile. You're getting 0.62kW per mile so over 20% worse.. Seems like really high consumption.
More recently I’m getting around 1.8 miles per kW which still seems very poor to me. I have only driven a total of 260 miles so far, could it be that the car hasn’t adjusted yet? I’m not sure when I should be calling the dealer about this...

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
1612118209186.jpeg

How come your average speed is only 3 mph? Your car seems to have been turned on for a long time to only drive 217 miles in 82 hours. Something is wrong in that? Stuck in a snow drift?
I’m not sure, the above is showing my total usage, so perhaps some of it is from sitting in the drive trying to figure out all the features? But even on drives with 25-30mph average speeds I can only seem to get 55-60kwh/100mi ?

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
I am getting 176 miles at 85% charge, I have only charged to 100% once on purpose and I got a range of 206 miles, I am putting this down to the outside temperature, fingers crossed it will improve as the weather gets warmer here in the north of England.
Sponsored