NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well, you might have exactly that if you dial back the PMCC power to 6 kW... That would be a pain though - you'd have to remember to set it back when you actually wanted to charge.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hi Peter. From the tests one can deduce:
By interpolation it is seen that the battery has reached the temperature 14C after approx. 40 min.
2. Approximately 4 kWt has been used to heat the battery.
It can be deduced from this that approximately 6 kW has been used to heat the battery during start-up.
The battery heater must therefore have a maximum power of at least 6 kW, but it may well be larger.
I will perform a few tests with lower power (about 2.3 kW) later and post the result here.
Yes very interesting.

If the car uses 6 kW or more to heat up the battery in this charging environment, I would believe that the same amount of power, 6 kW is used as well when driving the car in very cold weather. Imagine it would be minus 15 degrees C and trying to heat the mass of that battery. It will take time. That would explain a lot for those who have experienced low range in cold weather.
In your case you consumed 4 kWh which is about 5% of the battery capacity to heat from 1 to 14 C. If you only drove short 30 minutes trips it would be draining the battery quickly.

I envy @feye that seems to have 19 degrees weather still!

MadsK

First Name
Mads
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes very interesting.

If the car uses 6 kW or more to heat up the battery in this charging environment, I would believe that the same amount of power, 6 kW is used as well when driving the car in very cold weather. Imagine it would be minus 15 degrees C and trying to heat the mass of that battery. It will take time. That would explain a lot for those who have experienced low range in cold weather.
In your case you consumed 4 kWh which is about 5% of the battery capacity to heat from 1 to 14 C. If you only drove short 30 minutes trips it would be draining the battery quickly.

I envy @feye that seems to have 19 degrees weather still!
Yes, but the car will not heat the battery as much as when charging.
Drove a trip yesterday at 31km / 19.4miles. Consumption was low due to few stops.
Preheated the car for 10-15 min before departure. driving mode "Normal". Battery temp at start was 3C / 37F. By the end, the temperature had only risen to 4C / 39F.
I have not experimented much with how to increase the battery temperature in winter, but have only once seen the temperature rise rapidly in connection with fresh driving on a winding road in "Sport Mode".

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S+ Cold weather experiences IMG_0297.PNG
Sponsored