feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Anyone getting over 300 miles per “tank” as this suggests? My 4S is on order and I would LOVE to get that kind of range !
In that weather, easy:

Porsche Taycan Taycan outperforms EPA range estimate by the widest margin in Edmunds EV Range and Consumption Test 1613090994915
Porsche Taycan Taycan outperforms EPA range estimate by the widest margin in Edmunds EV Range and Consumption Test 1613091065293

505 km is 313 miles with mixed city and city highway driving.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I think the point here is to disseminate between fact (real world experiences from real owners) and fantasy (marketing guff / poorly executed testing regimes) penned by journalists who struggle to spell "EV" (no disrespect to journos out there).
True, particularly when you look at the consumption.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Edmunds laid out their test procedure as to how they calculated consumption. Essentially they emptied the tank (battery) and refilled it and measured the amount of charge required to fill the battery. This probably appears high because the battery "leaks". It heats up while charging so some of the energy that was consumed is not available for range.

Range based on kwh/miles looks to be a bit of a soft number as it can be calculated using different methods. It is not always clear as to the methodology yielding quite different figures.

An argument can be made that if Edmonds metered the flow of current into the drained battery while charging and the actual distance driven their number would be most accurate.
Actually I like how they work! The consumer does not care how much the energy the battery holds, they want to know, how much driving the car costs.

That is one of my major beef with the T company, they not only cheat by reported absurd high EPA numbers, they also cheat with the BC consumption numbers by switching it off when the car is standing.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That is truly an awesome range figure @feye, however, 32kph is 20mph. My Taycan cannot travel at that speed once it leaves the driveway. It's a Porsche for Pete sake... :cool:

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
An argument can be made that if Edmonds metered the flow of current into the drained battery while charging and the actual distance driven their number would be most accurate.
But isn't that what they did? That's why the consumption number appears too high given the battery capacity to result in that range.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
That is truly an awesome range figure @feye, however, 32kph is 20mph. My Taycan cannot travel at that speed once it leaves the driveway. It's a Porsche for Pete sake... :cool:
What do you suggest? Mount a plow in front of the car to clean the city roads of all the ICE snails?

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
To be clear, if anyone buys a Taycan expecting 300 miles of range you will be disappointed.

I have plenty of logs with trip computer "since charging" photos on here of trips from 100% to sub 10% battery with all of my methods & routes full transparent. Happy to post more. You're not getting 300 miles of range in normal driving. It requires hypermiling (ie.. being that person on the highway driving ridiculously slowly) or long downhill sections.

For prospective buyers, be very wary of what you believe. The range meter showing 300 miles of range is not 300 miles of range. Driving 150 miles and calculating the remaining % is not 300 miles of range. Going down a mountain pass and gaining dozens of free miles is not 300 miles of range. Going 55 mph on the highway when the flow of traffic is 75 is not 300 miles of range.

Go read some of the threads where people are getting sub 200 miles of range. 280-300 is the best best case, not only is it not realistic to rely on but as the battery degrades (which it will) your range will only get worse.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Range matters to some people who want to go on longer trips and use public charging. But for people like me, who don't buy BEVs for long road trips and using them instead as daily commuters -- only charging at home -- a range of 200 vs. 300 miles doesn't really matter very much. I doubt that many Taycan owners have bought them, or will buy them, for serious road trips where they have to use public charging -- not for another ten years or so, anyway, until the public-charging infrastructure is more robust and user friendly and ubiquitous. I suspect that the vast majority of Taycan owners have at least one vehicle in their stable with an ICE in it for those longer road trips. I suspect that only about 10-20% of Taycan owners will ever use public charging on a regular basis.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Actually I like how they work! The consumer does not care how much the energy the battery holds, they want to know, how much driving the car costs.

That is one of my major beef with the T company, they not only cheat by reported absurd high EPA numbers, they also cheat with the BC consumption numbers by switching it off when the car is standing.
the T cars rated ranges are a farce. my last one claims to have a 310 mile rated range, it has never charged past 290 miles. secondly in real world driving you will almost always lose at least 10% of that when driving faster than 60 or so MPH. I haven't taken delivery of the taycan yet but I will be satisfied if the car can do more than 260 miles per 90% soc
Range matters to some people who want to go on longer trips and use public charging. But for people like me, who don't buy BEVs for long road trips and using them instead as daily commuters -- only charging at home -- a range of 200 vs. 300 miles doesn't really matter very much. I doubt that many Taycan owners have bought them, or will buy them, for serious road trips where they have to use public charging -- not for another ten years or so, anyway, until the public-charging infrastructure is more robust and user friendly and ubiquitous. I suspect that the vast majority of Taycan owners have at least one vehicle in their stable with an ICE in it for those longer road trips. I suspect that only about 10-20% of Taycan owners will ever use public charging on a regular basis.
I agree that most people do not need the car for more than their daily driving needs, the vast majority of people do not take many long road trips but they still want the ability to make those trips. for example my son is 170 miles away, 340 miles RT and if I wasn't certain of being able to charge along the way the car is not doing what I need it to do. the ability to charge on trips outside of your home area is crucial.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
the T cars rated ranges are a farce. my last one claims to have a 310 mile rated range, it has never charged past 290 miles. secondly in real world driving you will almost always lose at least 10% of that when driving faster than 60 or so MPH. I haven't taken delivery of the taycan yet but I will be satisfied if the car can do more than 260 miles per 90% soc

I agree that most people do not need the car for more than their daily driving needs, the vast majority of people do not take many long road trips but they still want the ability to make those trips. for example my son is 170 miles away, 340 miles RT and if I wasn't certain of being able to charge along the way the car is not doing what I need it to do. the ability to charge on trips outside of your home area is crucial.
If you need 260 mi freeway driving, I would charge to 95%+. The car chargers fast enough for that anyway. I see 260 to 270 for full charge with mix 80% freeway 70-80mph. Temps in 50-60F.
warmer will help quite a bit I suspect, got car in November so unknown personally.

I make 340 RT drives every two weeks, one charge if you stay a bit or I do two less than 15min each.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
If you need 260 mi freeway driving, I would charge to 95%+. The car chargers fast enough for that anyway. I see 260 to 270 for full charge with mix 80% freeway 70-80mph. Temps in 50-60F.
warmer will help quite a bit I suspect, got car in November so unknown personally.

I make 340 RT drives every two weeks, one charge if you stay a bit or I do two less than 15min each.
thanks, I am quite familiar with the routine, MY first EV was a '12 leaf, then 2 model S a model 3 and now for what I hope becomes my favorite, the taycan.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
thanks, I am quite familiar with the routine, MY first EV was a '12 leaf, then 2 model S a model 3 and now for what I hope becomes my favorite, the taycan.
Looking forward to your experience with the Taycan.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
To be clear, if anyone buys a Taycan expecting 300 miles of range you will be disappointed.

I have plenty of logs with trip computer "since charging" photos on here of trips from 100% to sub 10% battery with all of my methods & routes full transparent. Happy to post more. You're not getting 300 miles of range in normal driving. It requires hypermiling (ie.. being that person on the highway driving ridiculously slowly) or long downhill sections.

For prospective buyers, be very wary of what you believe. The range meter showing 300 miles of range is not 300 miles of range. Driving 150 miles and calculating the remaining % is not 300 miles of range. Going down a mountain pass and gaining dozens of free miles is not 300 miles of range. Going 55 mph on the highway when the flow of traffic is 75 is not 300 miles of range.

Go read some of the threads where people are getting sub 200 miles of range. 280-300 is the best best case, not only is it not realistic to rely on but as the battery degrades (which it will) your range will only get worse.
Once on a busy Australian highway (4 lanes only cars), I tried to overtake a few cars to get closer to the speed limit and suddenly the police come up next to me and indicated to slow down.

Following the flow of the traffic and observing speed limits is not hypermiling, is it?

Major factors for range:

1. Terrain - the flatter the better
2. Ambient temperature and use of AC
3. Driving style - the softer the touch on the go pedal the better
4. Driving style - the more the car can just coast the better

I do admit, I bought the Taycan for a daily driver not a sports car. However, I encourage every owner to experiment a bit, so to better understand the technology.

The mileage is excellent for an EV with this size and weight. How far it goes depends on you and where you drive it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Range drops when on the flat given there is no possibility for re-gen. In fact the worst possible range comes when mostly driving on a motorway /freeway at a constant speed that is flat.
Sponsored