ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'll quibble with you on this - when I'm traveling waiting 90 minutes vs. 40 minutes is a significant amount of time - especially since the first 1/2 hour is easy to kill with other activities, but once you've walked around, gone to the bath room and gotten your snack - that next 30-45 min of simply waiting for charge is excruciating…lets take a normal 75 kWh charge session (about 10-90%)

75 kWh @ 140 kW = .53 hours - or 32 minutes
75 kWh @ 45 kW = 1.67 hours - or 100 minutes

personally given my personality that extra 68 min I'd be thinking the whole time "I saved $460 for this?"

but I understand it's a personal decision - but man that extra hour would grate on me "hard" - but then again I'm nuts.
You find the 150kW 400v charger in the area Dave and we can go test this out for 10min ?

It's certainly a decision each owner should make, I was just giving my logic. I hope to get to Yellowstone National Park this year, but still plenty of EA chargers along the way. We'll see if I find the need.
BTW not that I want to do it regularly, but even Porsche recommens using 50kW of less fast chargers if using them regularly and not just for road trips. So if I did get "stuck" at one I could write it off as being nice to my battery. ;)
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@ron_b that could be fun - we should do it for science!!

I’ve found some 80 kW and 100 kW EVGo chargers in the bay area - I’m wondering if they are 800V or 400V chargers - we should show up with our Taycan’s at a lower SOC and we can try charging at them!!

I really really want people to understand it’s a personal choice this 400V/150kW DC charger option - and even the most ardent supporters should be willing to admit the likely hood of it ever being used is very very low - well at least I do.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
FYI I bought the tesla adaptor that allow you to use their l2 chargers. it sounds like a no brainer to have this because it vastly expands your ability to find a charge

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
FYI I bought the tesla adaptor that allow you to use their l2 chargers. it sounds like a no brainer to have this because it vastly expands your ability to find a charge
I plan on doing the same! Small cost of insurance is how I see it. Tesla Tap? Or what did you end up getting?

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I plan on doing the same! Small cost of insurance is how I see it. Tesla Tap? Or what did you end up getting?
This is the one I bought and it's the only charging adapter I keep in the frunk.

Porsche Taycan How to Charge the Porsche Taycan: Everything You Need to Know Screenshot_20210211-180346

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07V7V2QT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MRRPQQSPCRAGYR49NXE2

I will state that it is a 40 amp rated and the ticon can pull up to 48 amps. The cables are very large and I'm not really concerned that it would fail but I leave that decision to each purchaser. I have had it charged at 48 amps without issue.

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
This is the one I bought and it's the only charging adapter I keep in the frunk.

Screenshot_20210211-180346.png

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07V7V2QT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MRRPQQSPCRAGYR49NXE2

I will state that it is a 40 amp rated and the ticon can pull up to 48 amps. The cables are very large and I'm not really concerned that it would fail but I leave that decision to each purchaser. I have had it charged at 48 amps without issue.
I recently saw this as well - it’s a “mini” version... pretty new I believe? Seems nice and compact for a trunk. I’m sure they are all fine and do the trick

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=146

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I bought the tesla tap mini 60 amp unit
Good choice.
I probably would have done the same if it were available 6mo ago when I purchased my adapter. The $100 more in price can be justified in space savings and the more secure amp rating.

J0EL

First Name
Y1ADB1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Hi,
New 2021 Porsche Taycan 4S owner
Neptune Blue
est. Delivery date : end of May

Supposedly the Taycan can accept up to 800v / 270kw charge
Which means it should have the 800v / 270kw DC on-board charger right ?

Taycan standard option is 50kw DC on-board
$460 option to add on-board 150kw DC on-board
I saw a video road trip where they charged at 230kw-270kw.
Not sure if the Taycan had the standard 50kw DC on-board charger
or if it had the upgrade of 150kw DC on-board charger.
What i do know is that there is NO option to add the 270kw DC on-board charger
yet he used it just fine.

There is On-Board 19.2kw AC charger $1,680
and
There is On-Board 150kw DC charger $460

I strongly believe that you will never use the 19.2kw AC on-board charger.
19.2kw
In order to use 19.2kw you would need to install a 100amp and NOT the Porsche charger!

NEMA 14-50 is 40amp.
40 amp give you 9.6kw of charge
2 x 9.6kw = 19.2kw
so you need 80amps to use the 19.2kw AC on-board charger
That means you would need 2 Porsche Mobile Charger connects, one on each side.
And im not sure you can do that.

(Porsche mobile charger connect is 9.6kw max) costs extra $$
(Porsche mobile charger connect PLUS is 11kw max) free, standard

The 19.2kw AC on-board charger is a waste
The 150kw DC on-board charger will be used

Maybe the Taycan is already equipped with the 270kw on-board charger...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,
New 2021 Porsche Taycan 4S owner
Neptune Blue
est. Delivery date : end of May

Supposedly the Taycan can accept up to 800v / 270kw charge
Which means it should have the 800v / 270kw DC on-board charger right ?

Taycan standard option is 50kw DC on-board
$460 option to add on-board 150kw DC on-board
I saw a video road trip where they charged at 230kw-270kw.
Not sure if the Taycan had the standard 50kw DC on-board charger
or if it had the upgrade of 150kw DC on-board charger.
What i do know is that there is NO option to add the 270kw DC on-board charger
yet he used it just fine.

There is On-Board 19.2kw AC charger $1,680
and
There is On-Board 150kw DC charger $460

I strongly believe that you will never use the 19.2kw AC on-board charger.
19.2kw
In order to use 19.2kw you would need to install a 100amp and NOT the Porsche charger!

NEMA 14-50 is 40amp.
40 amp give you 9.6kw of charge
2 x 9.6kw = 19.2kw
so you need 80amps to use the 19.2kw AC on-board charger
That means you would need 2 Porsche Mobile Charger connects, one on each side.
And im not sure you can do that.

(Porsche mobile charger connect is 9.6kw max) costs extra $$
(Porsche mobile charger connect PLUS is 11kw max) free, standard

The 19.2kw AC on-board charger is a waste
The 150kw DC on-board charger will be used

Maybe the Taycan is already equipped with the 270kw on-board charger...
The 270 KW rate is not obtained from any on-board charger. It is provided by a high power DC supply from a DCFC like Electrify America or Ionity. There is no additional equipment needed in car to convert the DC supplied power when delivered at 800 Volts.

The 19.2 KW onboard charger option is probably not very useful in the United States but in Europe it would be quite useful as they commonly have 400 volt AC 32 amps available near shops. I don't know this from personal experience and just watching way too many EV YouTube streams.

The necessity of the 150 KW DC-DC upgrade is noted as an insurance policy, it is only needed if you find a 400 volt only dcfc that is rated over 50 KW. These are not common in the United States from my scans of PlugShare and experience looking in California. Electrify America is quite plentiful on slightly arranged road trips. I had skipped that option and still not disappointed.

J0EL

First Name
Y1ADB1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
The 270 KW rate is not obtained from any on-board charger. It is provided by a high power DC supply from a DCFC like Electrify America or Ionity. There is no additional equipment needed in car to convert the DC supplied power when delivered at 800 Volts.

The 19.2 KW onboard charger option is probably not very useful in the United States but in Europe it would be quite useful as they commonly have 400 volt AC 32 amps available near shops. I don't know this from personal experience and just watching way too many EV YouTube streams.

The necessity of the 150 KW DC-DC upgrade is noted as an insurance policy, it is only needed if you find a 400 volt only dcfc that is rated over 50 KW. These are not common in the United States from my scans of PlugShare and experience looking in California. Electrify America is quite plentiful on slightly arranged road trips. I had skipped that option and still not disappointed.

Thank you Ron

Drew Webb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 GT2, Tesla Model X, Maserati Quattroporte
Country flag
I have had good luck with EA availability and functionality since receiving my MY214S In January. I get instant recognition of the car without resorting to any apps and merely which is always around 50restrict my time to 30’ to avoid any billing as per the perk that comes with the car. My only issue is with the rate of charge which is always ~ 50kW/5 mi/min regardless of whether I’m plugged into an EA 150 or 350 kW charger with a battery temperature >75 degrees. Anyone know the trick to getting the full power of 800V system?
Sponsored