JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Regenerative braking can generate 200kW+ of power. If the battery pack is cold, it can’t handle that - just like charging. So until the pack is warmed up, regenerative breaking will be reduced.
But he seems to be saying he is not getting any regenerative braking or maybe very little. He needs to post his battery temperature to determine if there actually is a problem. Maybe a 20 mile trip wasn't long enough to get the battery temp up if the temperature was only a little above freezing. Actually just cruising along doesn't raise the battery temperature very much when its cold outside.
Sponsored

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Don't mix up English "Direct Charging" and "Direct Current".
Direct Current = DC = Gleichstrom = voltage does not alternate between - and + relative to ground
Direct Charging = Direkt Laden

As stated, if you plug into a DC charger, all charging profiles, limits, timers, target states of charge, etc. are ignored. I agree with Kingske here - the assumption is probably one or both of a) you want 100% since you are on a longer trip; and/or b) you will be keeping an eye on the charging and can stop it when you want.

Also note that none of this has anything to do with regenerative braking. I agree with andrewket here on the temperature, and would also add in that above 80% even at ideal temperature the battery pack can't take the full 265 kW of regen the Taycan motors can produce.

OP
OP
AMERCY

AMERCY

First Name
Christof
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan '19 (Crayon), Taycan 4S+ '21 (Black)
Country flag
But he seems to be saying he is not getting any regenerative braking or maybe very little. He needs to post his battery temperature to determine if there actually is a problem. Maybe a 20 mile trip wasn't long enough to get the battery temp up if the temperature was only a little above freezing. Actually just cruising along doesn't raise the battery temperature very much when its cold outside.
Thank you. Battery was preheated to 12 C (writing from my phone no easy way to convert it to F for courtesy) and as you state it, it was either exactly no regain or later then well in the whatsoever expected range.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you. Battery was preheated to 12 C (writing from my phone no easy way to convert it to F for courtesy) and as you state it, it was either exactly no regain or later then well in the whatsoever expected range.
I can handle C. Am ambidextrous.

The 12C is not hot enough to generate much effect from regenerative braking. You want to be closer to 25C and higher. To get full effect the battery needs to be cooking.

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
Regenerative braking can generate 200kW+ of power. If the battery pack is cold, it can’t handle that - just like charging. So until the pack is warmed up, regenerative breaking will be reduced.
This may help. I had a Tesla Model S for many years. When I would charge to 100% or approach maximum charging I noticed that there was little or no feeling of regeneration when I applied the brakes. I spoke with Tesla and was told there is no regeneration until the battery actually needs to be regenerated.

When the level of charge began to run down I could feel regen. Because the Taycan is set up to avoid the feel of "one pedal driving" we don't feel the difference when regeneration is operative when we apply the brakes, but I suspect the same result is occurring. When the battery is close to a full charge there would be no regen. As the charge level goes down regeneration increases with braking even though we cannot feel that occurring.

Maybe this is obvious, but it may add to this discussion.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Don't mix up English "Direct Charging" and "Direct Current".
Direct Current = DC = Gleichstrom = voltage does not alternate between - and + relative to ground
Direct Charging = Direkt Laden

As stated, if you plug into a DC charger, all charging profiles, limits, timers, target states of charge, etc. are ignored. I agree with Kingske here - the assumption is probably one or both of a) you want 100% since you are on a longer trip; and/or b) you will be keeping an eye on the charging and can stop it when you want.

Also note that none of this has anything to do with regenerative braking. I agree with andrewket here on the temperature, and would also add in that above 80% even at ideal temperature the battery pack can't take the full 265 kW of regen the Taycan motors can produce.
Note that the maximum regen is consistent with the max power allowed when DC charging at a ultrafast station. Obviously all the stars have to align: appropiate SOC and battery temp and an energic push of the brakes.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
This may help. I had a Tesla Model S for many years. When I would charge to 100% or approach maximum charging I noticed that there was little or no feeling of regeneration when I applied the brakes. I spoke with Tesla and was told there is no regeneration until the battery actually needs to be regenerated.

When the level of charge began to run down I could feel regen. Because the Taycan is set up to avoid the feel of "one pedal driving" we don't feel the difference when regeneration is operative when we apply the brakes, but I suspect the same result is occurring. When the battery is close to a full charge there would be no regen. As the charge level goes down regeneration increases with braking even though we cannot feel that occurring.

Maybe this is obvious, but it may add to this discussion.
All true, with a small correction. The battery pack doesn’t “need regeneration”. If it’s at 100% SOC there is no capacity for additional energy. As a result, the car can’t regen. On Teslas this is shown with yellow dots on the energy meter.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
All true, with a small correction. The battery pack doesn’t “need regeneration”. If it’s at 100% SOC there is no capacity for additional energy. As a result, the car can’t regen. On Teslas this is shown with yellow dots on the energy meter.
Which is why I mentioned state of charge... it must be probably below 25% to achieve values over 250kw...

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
My recuperation always works, even right after an 85% charge. Temperature is not a factor as my Turbo is currently parked outside in weather that has been as low as -15C.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
the tesla would not allow any regeneration when the battery is at a high SOC, there is nowhere for the kw from regeneration to be put

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
My recuperation always works, even right after an 85% charge. Temperature is not a factor as my Turbo is currently parked outside in weather that has been as low as -15C.
It’s not binary - regen at 10kW is still technically regen braking. Temperature absolutely will factor into it at some point. This is one of the advantages to Porsche’s strategy vs Tesla with respect to using the brake pedal for all braking. The driver tells the car how much braking force they want, and the car figures out the combination of regen and friction braking to fulfill the request. It’s seamless and the driver doesn’t have to change their driving style based on SOC or weather. The experience is consistent, which is important in a sports car.

With Tesla, you absolutely have to be aware of the SOC and how much regen is available. Many Tesla drivers have been caught off guard at very high SOCs and cold temperatures.

Taycan_friend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Then and when I wondered, why the "brake"-recuperation (not doing the one-pedal thing) would not set in.
Soothed myself with thoughts about the battery being to cold or so....
Now, outside temperatures are well above water freezing point (avoiding F/C here), and I went out for a longer (longer with respect to Corona) trip of 20mi.
Again, recuperation did not set in (no green pie when braking) - for a "long" while.
I started with SoC around 85% and recuperation somehow started at 80% down only. Then I remembered - my general charging profile, which was then most probably in effect; has a "minimum charge" set to 80% (having semantic issues here. or me, it behaves more as a charging cap - not a min).
So my otherwise unproven theory - especially for all that have observed recuperation setting in only after xxx mi:
Recuperation sets in only if SoC is below "maximum charge" of the active charging profile.
Any confirmation or invalidation welcome.
nope, this has nothing to do with the charge profile value.

Taycan_friend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
When the bath tub is full, you can't fill in more water ;-)
The max recuperation power may be reduced when SOC is very high or when battery is very cold.
Sponsored