kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I really hope this is not another repost.

Porsche Destination Charging:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...tion-charging-1000-charging-points-20143.html

Did you guys know that Porsche is creating destination charger that allow charging at hotels and other places, for free?

Basically what Tesla has been doing. Tesla owners can agree that this is a very nice addition when travelling with the car.

I thought months of studying this forum and literally 99% of all youtube videos made me know almost everything about the Taycan, but these news went past me completely.

I looked up the map in europe and there are a very good amount of destination chargers all over europe already!

Porsche Taycan Did you know? Porsche Destination Charging taycandc.PNG

Actions like this fuel my hope in Porsche and the future with my Taycan.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
kreshi

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Thank you for your pics tigerbalm!
It seems there are three now in Ireland.
They say there will be many more all over europe.

Porsche also built a huge fast charging park in Germany at the Leipzig plant.
We might be getting a Porsche made fast charging network too, since Ionity has been disappointing a lot of people.

Cheers

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I see you're right - two in Killarney – the town I grew up in! Definitely going to use them on a visit home – after lockdown ended.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I really hope this is not another repost.

Porsche Destination Charging:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...tion-charging-1000-charging-points-20143.html

Did you guys know that Porsche is creating destination charger that allow charging at hotels and other places, for free?

Basically what Tesla has been doing. Tesla owners can agree that this is a very nice addition when travelling with the car.

I thought months of studying this forum and literally 99% of all youtube videos made me know almost everything about the Taycan, but these news went past me completely.

I looked up the map in europe and there are a very good amount of destination chargers all over europe already!

taycandc.PNG

Actions like this fuel my hope in Porsche and the future with my Taycan.
does anyone know if this is happening in the US as well?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@kort I haven’t heard anything, but i”m not like an oracle and all knowing

but a TeslaTap/JDapter in the US is quite effective - Tesla has an extensive destination charging network and most are 40 amp or better Tesla L2 chargers - no network, no fees - just permission of the business owner required to use the charger - most of whom don’t care if it’s not a Tesla.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I also have a TeslaTap "just in case" but its wrong to think Level 2 chargers are the answer. Unless you're staying at a hotel overnight and there is actually a destination charger available who has 6-9 hours while on a road trip to spend getting charged up. The answer must be Level 3 chargers everywhere, much like the dreaded Tesla Superchargers.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Skier I agree - L3 is the best - but when Traveling I’ve found the following works pretty well
  • 1 or 2 fast charging stops during the day
  • destination charging overnight
  • rinse lather repeat
the combination of fast charging & accessible L2 charging makes road tripping almost a non-issue

destination chargers are also a great choice for day trips - drive to destination where you’re going to stay for 2-6 hours - charge while you’re there and the car is “idle” - drive back home - no fast charging required

fast charging is great and I love it, but it’s also a cruel task master - where one has to be ready to move the car when it’s complete - when I’m doing other things I’d rather not ”be on the car’s schedule” to get back and move it when it’s done charging to avoid idle fees (and occupying a space another EV could use for their charging)

2 fast charging stops a day + 1 destination charger = 3 100% batteries cycles in a single day - or about 700 miles of driving range - very effective for travel planning.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
@kort I haven’t heard anything, but i”m not like an oracle and all knowing

but a TeslaTap/JDapter in the US is quite effective - Tesla has an extensive destination charging network and most are 40 amp or better Tesla L2 chargers - no network, no fees - just permission of the business owner required to use the charger - most of whom don’t care if it’s not a Tesla.
yes I bought that immediately, but many hotels I stay in use valets and the adapter just complicates things for them

OP
OP
kreshi

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Can you guys link the "Teslatap" you bought or link examples? I'm fairly new to the charging/adapter using. Thanks!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
all Tesla Destination chargers a simply Tesla Wall Chargers Gen1/Gen2/Gen3 - they can be installed on any circuit size from 20-100 amps (16-80 amp charge rate)

so it's a bit like a box of chocolates you Never know what you're going to get - for example the Tesla Destination chargers near me (Seascape resort) are all 80 amp (100 amp breaker) chargers - so if you plug your Taycan into one of the Tesla chargers at Seascape you'll get a 48 amp charge rate, which is the equivalent of 60 amp breaker.

if you own a Taycan with the 19.2 kW charger and you plug into a 100 amp Tesla destination charger you'll need the 80 amp version of the TeslaTap…

The Taycan is capable of charging at 11 kW or 19.2 kW (depending on options)

you will encounter Tesla Desintaiotn chargers all across the possible range - the safest choice is a TEslaTap rated for at least 11 kW - TeslaTap make 3 versions, 40 amp, 50 amp, 80 amp - technically speaking neither the 40 or 50 amp units are rated for 48 amp charging because the rating on the Tap is the breaker's rating…

you do you - but it's a 100K+++ car, the extra $50 for the 80 amp version I doubt is a serious consideration and it is heavier duty.
Sponsored