andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Anyone know how closely Porsche and Audi work together on software? I’m wondering if the major update that was supposed to come in January and now March might have been delayed either because the same team was working on shipping the software for the e-Tron GT, or if they might be using a common core (think of the UI differences as skins). The menus on the GT do look quite similar.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You could be right as they recently moved 800 Audi assembly workers to the Taycan assembly line last quarter of 2020 (may explain some of the quality issues on MY21 cars!).

Both cars are close siblings and we all know which one is the ugly sister, right?

caytan

First Name
Zim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
My understanding that lot of their software is actually outsourced and not done in house so....

OP
OP
andrewket

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Indeed.

Porsche Connect is developed and supported by Quartett Mobile GmbH who also provide similar apps for Audi and Bentley to name a few.
So my hypothesis could be true, only the name on the employee’s paycheck could be better. It’s too early to tell, but having watched all the video I could find on the e-Tron GT (can we just call this AEGT?) it appears the UI has more functionality in terms of user choice and to my eye perhaps even slightly faster.

Dennisr

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan base
Country flag
My understanding that lot of their software is actually outsourced and not done in house so....
You are correct. VW Group has used a common HMI development platform from e.Solutions (a joint venture of Audi and Elektrobit/Continental). A number of different tier 1's actually deliver the various clusters/IVI/HVAC/RSE units all based on this tool. VW Group is in transition as you have probably read and going forward the intention is to create software internally.
Sponsored