100% charge showing 175 mile range

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you get such high consumption? Battery heating, launch control, mountains?

Flat roads, 20°C, no AC, relaxed driving, I get under 27 kWh/100mi (16.7 kWh/100km) and a total range of 316mi (510km)
I have about 41kWh/100 this charging cycle, thats actually good for my car. I had a "guesstimate" of 211 miles @ 100% charge when I started. I am on pace for 206 miles and I have about 65% charge left. Weather is warmer than last few weeks, it's in the low to mid 40's and that makes a difference.
Sponsored

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
Well 12 trips actually at the 139 miles my 100% range is down to. Luckily I can charge at work :D.
I have mine on a timer but its made no difference. How hard would it be add a button "Warmup batteries" ?
I haven't been more than 20 miles for months so it's not really an issue - just the smug Tesla owners !:rolleyes: but it is a bit embarrassing, everyone always asks what the range. I usually lie and say 200. If I said 140, I can imagine what I'd get.

i tried it while plugged-in (i.e. set the Nav to an Inonity charger on the Porsche charging menu), and didn't do anything. The only way to condition the battery is to use a timer (apparently - I am still not brave enough to try the timers), or to actually be charging the car (if it is really cold, some posters have shown that power from the mains is initially used to heat-up the battery, before charging). That said, unless something goes very wrong with your battery, you should have just about enough juice for a 12 mile round trip :)

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have been driving VERY carefully and gentle. I am on pace to see 221 miles of range at 100% charge, this cycle. I have not accelerated hard even once, I am consciously trying to see max range.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Last night after a 0.5 mile drive I had 185 miles range at 84% SOC. Battery temp 55 deg. F. Many of my recent drives have been this same 0.5 mile drive so that's where the guess-o-meter has trained.

This afternoon the battery temp was 65 deg. F, same SOC as last night, and range was 205 miles. Was 207 miles later in the day with the battery at 67 deg. F, SOC still at 84%. So yes, it is ALL about battery temperature.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I have about 41kWh/100 this charging cycle, thats actually good for my car. I had a "guesstimate" of 211 miles @ 100% charge when I started. I am on pace for 206 miles and I have about 65% charge left. Weather is warmer than last few weeks, it's in the low to mid 40's and that makes a difference.
Temperature makes a big difference. Heating the battery takes a lot of juice out of range...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I have been driving VERY carefully and gentle. I am on pace to see 221 miles of range at 100% charge, this cycle. I have not accelerated hard even once, I am consciously trying to see max range.
Excellent! Keep reporting. I got a new 330 mi range record this morning!

Porsche Taycan 100% charge showing 175 mile range 1615798937796-

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Well 12 trips actually at the 139 miles my 100% range is down to. Luckily I can charge at work :D.
I have mine on a timer but its made no difference. How hard would it be add a button "Warmup batteries" ?
I haven't been more than 20 miles for months so it's not really an issue - just the smug Tesla owners !:rolleyes: but it is a bit embarrassing, everyone always asks what the range. I usually lie and say 200. If I said 140, I can imagine what I'd get.
I’d be having this checked at Porsche. I do a lot of short journeys and am around 180 miles on a full charge which is pretty rubbish but wouldn’t be happy if it were sub 140!

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well 140 might not be too bad if the battery is cold and you've been driving it like a Porsche all those short trips. The range calculation definitely takes recent drives into consideration.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here was my range guesstimate this morning. car preheated to 70 degrees.

And here was the actual mileage this afternoon. 182.5

Outside temp 57 degrees last part of ride.

16% reduction in range than Guesstimate. BUT, thats good range for me for 85% charge.

Normal mode. No charging phone, WAZE on via car play, no seat heaters, ECO mode for climate.

Porsche Taycan 100% charge showing 175 mile range 39A76E3F-5C75-4E0C-9D03-E1DB2E0541B0

Porsche Taycan 100% charge showing 175 mile range 532E44DA-3E3C-4C35-AB54-A6DE6C706012

Last edited:

550superfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just had the software update installed at the dealer and range has increased from 220 to 244 miles.
UK Taycan 4S with regular size battery.
Porsche Taycan 100% charge showing 175 mile range Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 09.26.22

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will postulate that your range didn't increase - instead the past driving history was erased and this is the range based on the default calculation without any driving history. If your next few trips are on a cold battery in sport plus and you drive it like you should, I suspect your range will go down. If you make longer trips on a warm battery in range mode and hypermill, your range may go up. I'm booked for the update on my MY2020 Monday.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last night after a 0.5 mile drive I had 185 miles range at 84% SOC. Battery temp 55 deg. F. Many of my recent drives have been this same 0.5 mile drive so that's where the guess-o-meter has trained.

This afternoon the battery temp was 65 deg. F, same SOC as last night, and range was 205 miles. Was 207 miles later in the day with the battery at 67 deg. F, SOC still at 84%. So yes, it is ALL about battery temperature.
I don't disagree. However, I had a battery temp of about 66 degrees starting yesterday and was up to 92 degrees on the highway. Saw 182.5 miles @ 85%.

clivep

First Name
Clive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2021
Country flag
What I find interesting about this thread is that most people are determining their battery performance from the range prediction on the console and not actual driving performance which can be found in your trip data. As has already been said the prediction will be based on your driving record and everyone will probably have seen the range return to the standard Porsche algorithm after the software update.
I live in the Pennines with 15%+ gradients and therefore my local range is poor. I also bought the roof bars and have travelled to Scotland with two bikes on the roof and that reduced the range considerably (probably up to 25%). My range in the first 500 miles was only around 200 miles. However after about 1500 miles my latest trip locally of 33 miles achieved a range of 244 miles, since last charge it has averaged 235 miles and my best trip in the last month was 18 miles with a range of 280 miles. This is because the car is learning to optimise for your driving style and the conditions it is encountering.
Ambient temperature has a massive influence from my experience - the 280 miles was at 16 degrees...I am waiting for summer temperatures to arrive! Equally important is preconditioning the batteries: this is easy to do when you set the timer, just tick the preheat box. The improvement for local journeys is quite dramatic.
However Porsche Technical Support advised me also to precondition the batteries for recharging on longer journeys (which explained some strange performance figures I was achieving); this can be done by using navigation and selecting the charger you aim to stop at - the batteries will be optimised for this stop which will make charging rates faster and increase range...I will be putting this to the test this week.
Remember that using brake recuperation will reduce your range performance on the trip to date but recharge the battery so in the future it will increase. I have turned the AC off when it's cold and then used Ecoplus when available (Range mode) or Eco and until summer arrives I have found this more than comfortable and it has improved range. Range mode is fine on motorways or in traffic.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got a REAL 242.5 miles @ 100% charge last night.

Showing 213 mile guesstimate @ 85% today.
Sponsored