Taycan GT3 RS / higher powered, sportier Taycan?

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you're right and you gave the answer also: the Cayman.
It's already known this will be a EV and a much better choice to be an electric sportscar.
That way you'll keep your 911 purists, your luxurious super saloon, your electric sportscar and an electric SUV.
Pretty much the same product line like now but right along the ICE cars.
In a few years you can follow what could happen: will sales of the 911 drop and/or will electric be more popular?
Yup. I think Porsche will end up being a lot more conservative than it superficially appears. They’ll make a bunch of options, split design costs with the rest of VW, and let the market decide what proportion of ICE / EV gets built. The big difference I see is Porsche is taking initiative, unlike say BMW whose strategy is wtf.

My guess is the 911 demographic transitions slowly. Like 10-15 years. Super car style hybrids will make a nice generational bridge. Eventually ICE 911s will be like manual transmissions. Available, but slower and a more niche product.

the EV cayman will be very interesting. The weight is going to be a massive design challenge. But it can be done. A 2008 style Tesla roadster designed by Porsche would be an amazing EV cayman.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TheSnape

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
because they can’t risk fucking with the 911 purists until it’s perfect. The next evolution of the 911 will be a 918 style hybrid. The cayman and macan will go EV first. The .2 generation Taycan aligns very well if planned battery tech roll out. The taycan is a much safer place to experiment
Maybe just develop the EV sporting tech on the Taycan? And use the Taycan to see where the future of the 911 lies? Making a Taycan GT3 will show if it's successful/viable for Porsche to make an electric sports car, how good it can be, as an experiment? Who knows, maybe even if the Taycan GT3 is good, if they decide to make the next 911 a hybrid, they could use the Taycan tech to do so?

And besides, I always saw the Taycan as the second truest Porsche. Just behind the 911, but ahead of all the others. Treating the Taycan like a 911 would set a good precedent.

I think you're right and you gave the answer also: the Cayman.
It's already known this will be a EV and a much better choice to be an electric sportscar.
That way you'll keep your 911 purists, your luxurious super saloon, your electric sportscar and an electric SUV.
Pretty much the same product line like now but right along the ICE cars.
In a few years you can follow what could happen: will sales of the 911 drop and/or will electric be more popular?
because they can’t risk fucking with the 911 purists until it’s perfect. The next evolution of the 911 will be a 918 style hybrid. The cayman and macan will go EV first. The .2 generation Taycan aligns very well if planned battery tech roll out. The taycan is a much safer place to experiment
But Porsche have a luxurious super saloon - the Panamera. Maybe the Taycan could be the electric sportscar and the Cayman can attempt to be an MX-5 competitor/ a very lightweight roadster (with hardtop version) with modest power?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
But Porsche have a luxurious super saloon - the Panamera. Maybe the Taycan could be the electric sportscar and the Cayman can attempt to be an MX-5 competitor/ a very lightweight roadster (with hardtop version) with modest power?
I meant there can be two product lines: both EV and ICE.
Time will tell which one will get the most investments...

OP
OP
TheSnape

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
I meant there can be two product lines: both EV and ICE.
Time will tell which one will get the most investments...
Yeah true, but I thought that the 911 can spearhead the ICE line, but the Taycan can spearhead the EV line

Porsche is a performance brand, but how it treats both lines can determine how it does that - for instance, the Taycan can accelerate far faster than any 911 will be able to. But its heavy battery pack means it'll never be as nimble as a 911.

They can complement each other, and both product lines can push each other, and we can see which side is getting more investments? Where 911 can be..well, 911 and Taycan can just push the boundaries with regards to acceleration, but as much 911 tech as possible can be used in it to keep its handling close to the 911 as possible. And since solid state battery packs are some time away, maybe look at other methods of weight saving in Taycan - even more lightweight materials to offset the battery weight?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Would love to see a CFRP monocoque.
My i3 weighs 1170kg.
I would love to see interchangable batterypacks.
Small, light but powerfull for short distances or races and bigger ones for longer distances.
That way you can configure the weight for the purpose.
I'm pretty sure this idea has potential but we're only just begun.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Would love to see a CFRP monocoque.
My i3 weighs 1170kg.
I would love to see interchangable batterypacks.
Small, light but powerfull for short distances or races and bigger ones for longer distances.
That way you can configure the weight for the purpose.
I'm pretty sure this idea has potential but we're only just begun.
the problem at this point with that theory is that the smaller the battery the less power it can give all in one go making impossible to reach the power output. Also when you are on a race track you eat up electrons like they are going out of style. So you actually need a big battery to one: have the necessary power to race and two: be able to go the distance of even a fairly short race........

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
the problem at this point with that theory is that the smaller the battery the less power it can give all in one go making impossible to reach the power output. Also when you are on a race track you eat up electrons like they are going out of style. So you actually need a big battery to one: have the necessary power to race and two: be able to go the distance of even a fairly short race........
I know.
I just express what I would love to see, not what is fairly difficult or impossible due to the limitations of today's production batteries.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry Dee,

Didn't see it was you whom had written the piece that I commented..... I know you know! was sitting on a plane with my mobile...… :)

Reactions: Dee

OP
OP
TheSnape

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
Yeah, but you could have make a slightly smaller one, right? So you have slightly less power and you can benefit from a lighter battery pack?

Also, for weight saving, couldn't you just take out all the other weight in the car (seats, etc.) or just replace it with super lightweight materials to compensate for the battery pack?

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, for weight saving, couldn't you just take out all the other weight in the car (seats, etc.) or just replace it with super lightweight materials to compensate for the battery pack?
absolutly!! And you would probably save quite a bundle. You could make all the body panels and any needed interior such as instrument cluster and a couple of seats in carbon. But then we are not talking a $200’000 car but probably closer to $600’000........... and if you go further and redo the aluminium space frame that underpins the body panels into a carbon monocoque then we probably touch close to $1’000’000.......... could be cool....... I’m happy with what they have come up with for now...... it’s a proof of concept and a great start to a new Porsche adventure that will last another 70years or more. :)

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
absolutly!! And you would probably save quite a bundle. You could make all the body panels and any needed interior such as instrument cluster and a couple of seats in carbon. But then we are not talking a $200’000 car but probably closer to $600’000........... and if you go further and redo the aluminium space frame that underpins the body panels into a carbon monocoque then we probably touch close to $1’000’000.......... could be cool....... I’m happy with what they have come up with for now...... it’s a proof of concept and a great start to a new Porsche adventure that will last another 70years or more. :)
the 2008 Tesla roadster did this while being under $200K. It’s possible today. Porsche has stated they expect a 20% improvement in batteries in 5-6 years. I’d expect continued refinements after that, and closing the gap between Porsche and Tesla battery tech (as it stands today appear 20-30% more efficient). That’d be over 500# savings on a 93Kw pack, which is overkill for a small coupe anyway.

OP
OP
TheSnape

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
Yeah true, but most of the high-performance variants are priced higher than their conventional counterparts. Maybe a larger margin should be expected in electric cars, if only that it'll act as a halo car, like the 911 GT3 RS?

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the 2008 Tesla roadster did this while being under $200K. It’s possible today. Porsche has stated they expect a 20% improvement in batteries in 5-6 years. I’d expect continued refinements after that, and closing the gap between Porsche and Tesla battery tech (as it stands today appear 20-30% more efficient). That’d be over 500# savings on a 93Kw pack, which is overkill for a small coupe anyway.
the 2008-2012 Tesla Roadster was a very heavy lotus and sadly that weight is very apparent since they put the batteries where the IC-unit had resided so center of gravity high and far back...... I do know, I have one and love it dearly but you can really feel the weight.......... as a small tidbit of info. This is why TESLA decided on a skateboard chassis for the S. Lots of weight unavoidable so get it low.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Not a chance they'll have an upgraded model to the Turbo S until they figure out some new battery technology. They will certainly at some point have a two-door EV version (probably called something else) that is quicker though - I think eventually this has to be the case.
Sponsored