Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
Speccing out RWD Taycan. Irrespective of cost would coil springs give a better driving car than one with air suspension? I’m thinking maybe more direct involvement with how the car is behaving on the road, less power used, fewer long term maintenance issues. Downsides maybe less compliant ride, can’t raise car over bumps. Anyone yet experienced coil spring Taycan?
Sponsored

Nipri

First Name
Rajesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey Taycan
Country flag
Speccing out RWD Taycan. Irrespective of cost would coil springs give a better driving car than one with air suspension? I’m thinking maybe more direct involvement with how the car is behaving on the road, less power used, fewer long term maintenance issues. Downsides maybe less compliant ride, can’t raise car over bumps. Anyone yet experienced coil spring Taycan?
Morning Chas1,
Saw a video on Autocar about Taycan RWD & coil springs. Might be well worth having a look.
Also there was an excellent piece in Saturday's Telegraph(20/02/21) about Taycan RWD by Andrew English.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I can't say for Taycan but on the Macan all the Porsche driving instructors swore that the air suspension makes for a better handling car. Also air suspension will probably result in LESS power used because it's more aerodynamic when lowered.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Morning Chas1,
Saw a video on Autocar about Taycan RWD & coil springs. Might be well worth having a look.
Also there was an excellent piece in Saturday's Telegraph(20/02/21) about Taycan RWD by Andrew English.
Any chance you could post a link to the autocar video? I found one on youtube but I think that test car had air springs.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Any chance you could post a link to the autocar video? I found one on youtube but I think that test car had air springs.
You're correct, that car had air suspension. AFAIK all reviewer cars (up to this point) have air suspension.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
FWIW my dealer recommends air suspension and I'm ordering mine with it. Not only for driving experience but resale as well.

Jeke74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD Carrera white 2021
Country flag
When I saw RWD with coil springs,I think it Looks more Cross Turismo....too high for me and 21” wheels.
Porsche Taycan RWD Taycan F214DE1C-1661-46E4-8C88-A5384310B9DB

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Air all day long - you need it for the 2.5T it has to support plus the PASM control which all enhance driving dynamics. Don’t scrimp on this option (it ought to be standard as per all models in the Cross Turismo range).

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Air all day long - you need it for the 2.5T it has to support plus the PASM control which all enhance driving dynamics. Don’t scrimp on this option (it ought to be standard as per all models in the Cross Turismo range).
+2

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Agree as well. My RWD is in production now and air suspension was one of the main options I ordered. Ride comfort but as much for smart lift so I won't bottom out the front end on my driveway every day.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Yep -saw that video as well and thought the same thing. I was worried the ride height might look too high on the steel springs and it looks like i was right. Porsche cleverly specced all the press cars with air suspension..

When I saw RWD with coil springs,I think it Looks more Cross Turismo....too high for me and 21” wheels.
F214DE1C-1661-46E4-8C88-A5384310B9DB.png

Guyneutron

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S
Country flag
As someone who just had the RWD on air springs as a loaner for two days I would say it’s a must have! The car drove amazing, was as cushy as my Cayenne

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I drove both the RWD and 4S with air suspension yesterday. Go for air suspension, it's buttery smooth.
Sponsored