Apple Car Play Cord vs. Taycan Armrest

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I didn’t have to do an initial wired setup on a ‘21. 100% sure since I don’t even have the cable.
I did a home delivery and the tech insisted on doing a wired initial setup.
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I didn’t have to do an initial wired setup on a ‘21. 100% sure since I don’t even have the cable.
Nice! It's certainly possible that my wired connection had nothing to do with it getting set up. I connected bluetooth, which worked (as a regular bluetooth phone). At some point, I was able to see a CarPlay icon listed next to my iPhone in the "Devices" menu, and I touched it, but nothing happened. Frustrated, I connected via wire, and took my trip using Waze via CarPlay. When I came back, I didn't connect my iPhone via wire, but it connected anyway. So perhaps the wiring had nothing to do with it and it eventually would have worked. It's weird, however, that it never actually told me it was going to happen.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Nice! It's certainly possible that my wired connection had nothing to do with it getting set up. I connected bluetooth, which worked (as a regular bluetooth phone). At some point, I was able to see a CarPlay icon listed next to my iPhone in the "Devices" menu, and I touched it, but nothing happened. Frustrated, I connected via wire, and took my trip using Waze via CarPlay. When I came back, I didn't connect my iPhone via wire, but it connected anyway. So perhaps the wiring had nothing to do with it and it eventually would have worked. It's weird, however, that it never actually told me it was going to happen.
If you have an iPhone 12, it’s finicky whether it connects. I have to toggle WiFi on the phone sometimes. iPhone X worked every time.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
If you have an iPhone 12, it’s finicky whether it connects. I have to toggle WiFi on the phone sometimes. iPhone X worked every time.
yes, the initial connection upon starting the car can be an adventure. I wish is was more seamless.
the germans build fantastic cars but their expertise implementing the latest tech is not up to par.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
yes, the initial connection upon starting the car can be an adventure. I wish is was more seamless.
the germans build fantastic cars but their expertise implementing the latest tech is not up to par.
Actually I blame Apple. iPhone 12 is just buggy. For example it also has problem wirelessly charging, and that’s 100% their fault.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Anybody have a problem with the arm rest crushing the USB-C to Lightning Cord to connect your iPhone for Carplay? Unlike the Cayenne which I also have, there is a little slot for the cord to come out so it doesn't get crushed / can move around....but in the Taycan it seems like the arm rest just crushes it. Any thoughts / tips on how to alleviate this?
Not an issue.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Actually I blame Apple. iPhone 12 is just buggy. For example it also has problem wirelessly charging, and that’s 100% their fault.
that could be but I have never had a wireless charging issue in this or other cars.
one thing I do notice is that on long road trips the wireless charging only seems to stem the drainage from the heavy use of the phone, running spotify and waze for hours seems to consume a lot of the phone's charge and the wireless in the car only seems to keep up, plugging it gets a better charge

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that could be but I have never had a wireless charging issue in this or other cars.
one thing I do notice is that on long road trips the wireless charging only seems to stem the drainage from the heavy use of the phone, running spotify and waze for hours seems to consume a lot of the phone's charge and the wireless in the car only seems to keep up, plugging it gets a better charge
That is simply a limitation of wireless charging generally. Wireless charging rates are typically much lower than wired charging rates, especially Qi charging on iPhone (7.5w vs. >20w). I would definitely plug in for a long trip.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
That is simply a limitation of wireless charging generally. Wireless charging rates are typically much lower than wired charging rates, especially Qi charging on iPhone (7.5w vs. >20w). I would definitely plug in for a long trip.
that could be so, but when comparing the charge rates I was receiving in my model 3 wireless charger to the one in the taycan the taycan wireless charger is far weaker.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that could be so, but when comparing the charge rates I was receiving in my model 3 wireless charger to the one in the taycan the taycan wireless charger is far weaker.
THAT’S interesting. The Taycan is 10W, and the Model 3 is 5W (or at least used to be). Taycan should charge more quickly, if anything.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
THAT’S interesting. The Taycan is 10W, and the Model 3 is 5W (or at least used to be). Taycan should charge more quickly, if anything.
I can't comment on the technical aspects, just relating my experience

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Interesting! But are you running Waze and Spotify via wireless Apple CarPlay in the Taycan, and Spotify via Bluetooth in the Tesla, plus Waze just on the phone. Since WiFi connection for ACP is required, perhaps that draws more power then a low power Bluetooth?? Tesla will not display any Waze in its screen.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Interesting! But are you running Waze and Spotify via wireless Apple CarPlay in the Taycan, and Spotify via Bluetooth in the Tesla, plus Waze just on the phone. Since WiFi connection for ACP is required, perhaps that draws more power then a low power Bluetooth?? Tesla will not display any Waze in its screen.
no, you got me there, I ran spotify via the tesla app, not via bluetooth.
I did indeed have waze displayed on the tesla screen but it will not deliver the various warnings so I would run it via bluetooth, the waze screen on the phone and the audio would come through the car's system

OP
OP

torontotaycan

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Macan Sport Edition, Cayenne E-Hybrid
Country flag
This might be a regional issue, but I am in Toronto (Canada), my dealer says for my MY2020 Taycan, wired connection to carplay is necessary ?‍♂

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
This might be a regional issue, but I am in Toronto (Canada), my dealer says for my MY2020 Taycan, wired connection to carplay is necessary ?‍♂
for 2020, the wired is needed, for 2021 it isn't
Sponsored