H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
All of you are seriously making me reconsider picking up my Taycan which is due in a few weeks. Is this car more trouble than it’s worth?
Like Cinbow stated above, once you start driving the car properly - you just can't be without it!

There's always maintenance needed on any type of car, the Taycan is no exception. However, I've had around 20 cars in my life (so far) - and the Taycan is the best allround drive ever (and I've been on tracks/ice tracks with lots of BMWs, 911s, Panameras, Cayennes, Challengers etc).

(Right now, I have two letters of recall lying around that I need to get to. The BMW 530XD has a potential wiring issue in the rear that could cause a fire, - and the 320i convertible has some overheating issue that needs seeing to. And those are old, true & tested cars - and still...)

Get the Taycan, plan for a few days of upgrade and some configuration afterwards (or have the dealer assist you) - then enjoy an amazing ride!
Sponsored

Iben

First Name
Jean-Are
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S (2020 mod.)
Country flag
I tottaly agree with H@wk.

I got my 2020 Taycan Turbo S on 23.of December 2020 and I`m scedulled for software upgrade in early June.
I traded in my 2019 BMW M5 Comp. (4,4 litre, V8, twin-turbo, S63, 625 horsepower with 750 Nm torque).
I had 2 sesions with software upgrades + 1 critical service (some fuel issue (software / wiring) on this car.

I think we need to accept that our cars are rolling computers in an hectic world (competition from other brands).

I use my car as an daily driver and I don`t regret the change from the M5 (maybe the engine sound).

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
No trouble at all (if you don't take the days to update the car in account).
My car's much better now, really.
But hé, it's up to you.
If you'll run into the 12V issue, I'm sure you'll regret cancelling that appointment.
Porsche is responsible for the update, it'll never be YOUR problem.
So far no cars are write-offs, they'll fix it, one way or another.
In the end you'll get a better car, with or without some inconvenience along that way.
Please don't overreact, it's really not that bad (or just stop reading forum topics about troubles, every car has that, it's what forums are for).

There is a very good reason Porsche sends every single owner a letter to bring your car in and put massive extra workload on the dealer's workshop.
This costs a lot of money, for a very good reason.
Besides, it'll bring the car up to a better OTA state and you'll be able to update the car in the future without visiting the shop.
Btw, the OTA module is also updated so.... a no-brainer if you ask me.

Cheers.
Dee - I’m not talking about bringing in the car for the update. I’m talking about picking up the car for delivery. I guess one thing I have going for me is that they’ll perform the update at the port prior to delivery. So if anything happens, it’s not on my dime, but it will still add delay.

Reactions: Dee

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Update: I learned today that delivery of a new OTA module is still more than a week away. So, I decided that was too long to drive around in the loaner Macan and returned it to the dealership so that I could pick up my (nicely washed) Taycan and the PMCC. Both were updated successfully with WMA5/7 and the dealer did a good job at that: everything worked - even Apple CarPlay immediately picked up my phone and worked wirelessly, without the initial cable activation described by other forum members. Also, almost all of my prior settings were (still or again) in it: Homelink, diamond buttons, etc. The PCM is indeed more responsive and better laid out and I am discovering several new functions. My only limitation at this moment is that I am driving around with Privacy Mode on (and therefore no Connect) because of the defective OTA module. Also that will get fixed. On the bright side: it will give me a second wave of new things to discover in one or two weeks time. On the even brighter side: spring is in the air.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
I tottaly agree with H@wk.

I got my 2020 Taycan Turbo S on 23.of December 2020 and I`m scedulled for software upgrade in early June.
I traded in my 2019 BMW M5 Comp. (4,4 litre, V8, twin-turbo, S63, 625 horsepower with 750 Nm torque).
I had 2 sesions with software upgrades + 1 critical service (some fuel issue (software / wiring) on this car.

I think we need to accept that our cars are rolling computers in an hectic world (competition from other brands).

I use my car as an daily driver and I don`t regret the change from the M5 (maybe the engine sound).
Mmmmmmm engine sound (especially V8....) how I miss that as well....
Imagine if we could choose between a rounded V8 symphony and the electrofuturistic Posrche E-sound in the PCM, that would be cool! :))

ddgreenb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Got my 2020 4S back a couple days ago and all appears to be working well. All the promised updates are there and working. Only nitpick issue I have with it is that the Sirius XM favorites screen doesnt work like it used to (I know there are other, potentially better streaming options than Sirius...). It used to display what was currently playing on each favorited station, so I could read in a glance and choose what I wanted to listen to. Now it just displays the channel name and description. What a stupid option to take away...
I noticed this as well and was hoping a glitch. Have you discovered anyway to get it to return to showing what playing on each favorite?

ddgreenb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Anyone else having issues with ambient lighting after update? Before no issues, now my ambient lighting has turned itself off several times and I have to keep turning it on. Thoughts?

lubricious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Received a call from my dealer today stating my scheduled appointment next week for the update needs to be rescheduled as they're "finding that there is an issue with the software update" and they're "having technical difficulty with some the current Taycan updates." Suppose I'll just hold off until the process is more streamlined at my dealership.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Probably wise, no need to rush. When I dropped off today my dealer said they had not had any issues with the updates, but they considered themselves lucky. It is taking them almost 2.5 days for each.

So now that I said it my car is probably sitting there in flames...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
So now that I said it my car is probably sitting there in flames...
the Taycan "flames" feature requires the 12V battery to be fully functional - given current 12V discharge circumstances Porsche at this time can not offer the "flames" feature until we have stabilized the 12V discharge situation. "Flames" will return as a FOD feature in a future OTA update. Porsche North America appreciates your patience and understanding while we work on these technical difficulties.

Gbnj

First Name
Gurvan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Range Rover
Country flag
I am picking up my car later today as the update is complete. Porsche said they need to replace the sport chrono clock and the dealer said it may take a few weeks for the part to arrive. Happy the car is drivable in the meantime though vs having to leave it at the dealer.

It is a little wild that these parts are getting fried/broken by the update. I assume as dealers do more of these they will get better at it?
Same issue. Sport chrono clock is dead. Replacement won’t be here until mid May. On the bright side wireless Apple CarPlay works flawlessly

Minnesotan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2022 Targa 4S, 2018 E300
Country flag
Same issue. Sport chrono clock is dead. Replacement won’t be here until mid May. On the bright side wireless Apple CarPlay works flawlessly
I had same issue. And same success with CarPlay.

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
Received a call from my dealer today stating my scheduled appointment next week for the update needs to be rescheduled as they're "finding that there is an issue with the software update" and they're "having technical difficulty with some the current Taycan updates." Suppose I'll just hold off until the process as more streamlined at my dealership.
Same call from my dealership cancelling my appointment that was scheduled yesterday. Rescheduled for 2 weeks from now. Hopefully they sort everything out by then.
Sponsored