tconrad

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Chalk Taycan 4S, E92 M3
Country flag
Having watched a number of forum threads about Profiles and Timers turn contentious, I’m somewhat reluctant to wade into this topic but as a new owner I’ve been struggling to understand how best to make use of these features in my particular scenario which involves an electricity rate plan that charges me less at night for electricity than it does during the day. I think I’ve got it sorted at this point so I thought I’d try to help others that might start as confused as I was a few hours ago. I apologize in advance for duplicating explanations that are spread around these forums and on YouTube. I hope you’ll see this as just an attempt to put everything in one place for new owners.

Perhaps to get us off on the right foot, it seems that if you pay the same same rate for electricity 24/7 and you don’t care about precooling/heating your car in advance of a timed departure, all you need to do is set the General Profile to “Optimized Charging” with a Minimum Charge set to 80% and your car will charge to 80% -- and stop -- every time you plug it into an L1 or L2 charger. Very simple. As is pointed out elsewhere here, you can easily override this and charge to 100% by pressing the Direct Charging button for the times when you're getting ready for a longer trip.

Further, nothing here covers DC fast charging (where Timers and Profiles do not apply), scenarios where you're primarily using Timers to preheat or precool the car in advance of a planned trip, or concerns about Timers and Profiles somehow being implicated in the 12V problems. You can search the forums for those threads :)

If however, you pay different amounts for electricity at different times of day, there’s a bit more to wrap your head around and that's what I hope to illuminate in this post.

Here's the key tidbit: the way that your Taycan understands a Profile’s “Minimum Charge” setting varies depending on whether the Profile in question is set to “Optimized Charging” or “Preferred Charging Time.”

Understanding the “Minimum Charge” value in a Profile
When the active Profile is configured to “Optimized Charging” the Minimum Charge setting is effectively the maximum charge goal. When you plug in to an L1 or L2 charger the car will charge up to the level set in “Minimum Charge” and then it will stop charging. It will do this no matter what time of day you plug in. This is the simplest way to ensure that your car charges to, say, 80% and stops every time you plug into a L1 or L2 charger. Yes, in this scenario it feels like the label on this value is misleading. It is what it is.

However, when the active Profile is set to a “Preferred Charging Time” the Minimum Charge setting plays a different role. In this case it is the level that the car will charge to regardless of when you plug the car in. When your car reaches this level, the car will stop charging and will only begin charging to a higher level again during your Preferred Charging Time. This is to ensure that 24/7 your car attempts to maintain a minimum charge while doing most of its charging during your Preferred Charging Time. As such you may want to set Minimum Charge in this scenario to something rather low so you don't pay for unwanted charge outside of your Preferred Charging Time. The second thing to understand in this case is that when the active Profile is configured with a “Preferred Charging Time,” your car will charge to 100% during the Preferred Charging Time. If you don’t want your car to routinely charge to 100% in this scenario, read on…

Charging to less than 100% when using a Profile set with a “Preferred Charging Time”
To limit the charge to a maximum level less than 100% when using a Profile set with a “Preferred Charging Time” you must use a Timer in conjunction with the Profile. If your goal, for example, is to charge your car to 80% during the hours of 12am to 6am, then in addition to creating a Profile that sets the a “Preferred Charging Time” of 12am to 6am you’ll also need to set a Timer that asks for your car to reach 80% charge at 6am. This will keep your car from charging to 100% during the charging window. Yes this all feels inelegant, but again it is what it is.

How this plays out in the real world:

Scenario 1: Power Costs the Same All Day Long
If you don’t care what time of day your car charges (for example, if your power costs are uniform throughout the day) set the General Profile to “Optimized Charging” with the Minimum Charge set to 80%. Your car will charge to 80% every time you plug into an L1 or L2 charger. On the occasions you’d like to charge to 100%, simply press the “Direct charging” button to override the profile.

Scenario 2: Power is Cheaper at Night
If you do care what time of day your car charges (for example, if your power costs vary throughout the day at home) set a Location Profile local to your home with a “Preferred Charging Time.” Here set the Minimum Charge to something low, for example 25% as this setting determines the level of charge to achieve regardless of time of day. When you plug in your car will charge immediately to the Minimum Charge, and then it will charge to 100% during your Preferred Charging Time.

Scenario 3: Power is Cheaper at Night, but you don’t want to charge to 100% every night
In the case that you want to control timing of charge as in scenario 2, but do not want the car to charge above some set amount (say, as per the Owner’s Manual, you'd prefer to charge to 80%) you must additionally set a Timer. It seems the best practice here would be to set the timer termination for the end of your Preferred Charging Time window.

Scenario 4: You have all of the above set, but you are charging at a L1 or L2 charger away from home
In this case, the General Profile takes over, and allows the car to charge as quickly as possible to the value set in Minimum Charge in the General Profile. When it reaches this level, it will stop charging. I believe -- as it relates to charging -- any Timers you might have in this case are effectively ignored (though if the Timer also involves precool/heat it will provide that service at the appointed time).
Sponsored

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have a time of use rate plan with different summer and winter hours. Winter peak hours start at 6am weekdays. Summer peak hours start at 10am weekdays. After playing around with profiles and timers, I found the simplest thing to do is NOT use a profile and just set departure timers aligned with the end of off-peak hours. You can't delete the general charging profile but you can deactivate it. I have three timers. #1 Sat/Sun 8am. #2 (winter, not currently active) M-F 6am. #3 (summer, active) M-F 8am.

The car calculates when to start charging based on the departure timer. So even if I plug in at 6pm (off-peak starts at 9pm), the car won't start to charge until middle of the night. Only time this doesn't work is when you need more charge than you can get between when your off-peak hours start and your departure timer.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
OK, so I pay the same rate 24/7 and have ticked optimise charging and set at 80% which I now understand is the maximum it will charge to.
I am still am unclear if it is best to run the battery down to say 10, 25 or 50% before charging again (assuming I do not need the range the next day), or plug in every night and charge to 80%?

OP
OP
tconrad

tconrad

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Chalk Taycan 4S, E92 M3
Country flag
I have a time of use rate plan with different summer and winter hours. Winter peak hours start at 6am weekdays. Summer peak hours start at 10am weekdays. After playing around with profiles and timers, I found the simplest thing to do is NOT use a profile and just set departure timers aligned with the end of off-peak hours. You can't delete the general charging profile but you can deactivate it. I have three timers. #1 Sat/Sun 8am. #2 (winter, not currently active) M-F 6am. #3 (summer, active) M-F 8am.

The car calculates when to start charging based on the departure timer. So even if I plug in at 6pm (off-peak starts at 9pm), the car won't start to charge until middle of the night. Only time this doesn't work is when you need more charge than you can get between when your off-peak hours start and your departure timer.
great insight here!
I suppose the only downside would be if you tried to charge away from home on a L1 or L2 charger. I think this setup would keep you from charging unless you happened to be near one of the timer’s departure times?

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
All very good in theory. I have cheaper electricity costs between 00:30 and 04:30 every day, so set up a profile and timer with preferred charging times.
2 issues however.
1 When the timer is set several days in advance, the car does not charge up to the maximum within the preferred times on the first opportunity, it waits effectively until the last opportunity. This seems stupid to me as it is safer to get up to charge at the first opportunity (if the electricity is available, take it). What if I had an outage the night before I want to travel?
2 Even there are several days of opportunity to charge within my preferred times, the system still does some charging at the higher rate times!!! Why?
In the UK we always think of German engineers as very practical and very logical. NOT THIS TIME!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
OK, so I pay the same rate 24/7 and have ticked optimise charging and set at 80% which I now understand is the maximum it will charge to.
I am still am unclear if it is best to run the battery down to say 10, 25 or 50% before charging again (assuming I do not need the range the next day), or plug in every night and charge to 80%?
Optimized charging only works in conjunction with a HEM (or similar) as far as I am aware. So unless you have such a setup it isn't doing anything.

I would do daily charging to 80% or 85% from a typical SOC of around 50%.

Charging from very low SOCs to the same point may not be optimum for your battery - sometimes unavoidable of course.

I find a combination of a profile and timer with departure time set to prevent overshooting works perfectly.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
All very good in theory. I have cheaper electricity costs between 00:30 and 04:30 every day, so set up a profile and timer with preferred charging times.
2 issues however.
1 When the timer is set several days in advance, the car does not charge up to the maximum within the preferred times on the first opportunity, it waits effectively until the last opportunity. This seems stupid to me as it is safer to get up to charge at the first opportunity (if the electricity is available, take it). What if I had an outage the night before I want to travel?
2 Even there are several days of opportunity to charge within my preferred times, the system still does some charging at the higher rate times!!! Why?
In the UK we always think of German engineers as very practical and very logical. NOT THIS TIME!
I have a daily timer and charging profile tailored to off peak charging.

I don't charge necessarily every day but when connected I always get my set maximum charge of 85%.

Equally with the same settings and connected daily I always get the same results - 85%.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. I get the 85%, but even when it doesn’t need to, the car often starts before my preferred times.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ok, so charge to 80% and wait until down to 50% before connecting. That is helpful, thank you

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
2 issues however.
There is logic to the way it works, but there may be other wishes as well, that are not catered for. If I set my charging during preferred times, 02.00 to 07.00, the car is charged to 80% as set at 07.00. The benefit is that if I want to leave at that stage the battery has got some heat in it from the charging and will perform well when leaving. If it had started charging early and finished way before 07.00, it might have cooled down again and needs to take battery power to heat up on cold days!

I will agree however that the overall settings for charging could be implemented in a less complicated way. I also do not understand why I can not set my desired charge level at HPC DC chargers? There could be a queu to get a coffee and then the car charges to a higher level than wished for.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
great insight here!
I suppose the only downside would be if you tried to charge away from home on a L1 or L2 charger. I think this setup would keep you from charging unless you happened to be near one of the timer’s departure times?
Remember, profiles (other than the General profile) are GPS-based. So you can set one for any other AC charger, set the minimum to 80% or 85% (then make sure that profile is enabled) and you will get what you want.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I accept that, but why does it charge outside my desired times even when it doesn’t need too?
Why ask my opinion if it going to ignore me? I have a wife for that!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I accept that, but why does it charge outside my desired times even when it doesn’t need too?
Why ask my opinion if it going to ignore me? I have a wife for that!
Does it stay charging or does it just connect, initiate, calculate and then go to Pause mode?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Plug in every night and charge to 80%.
Sponsored