ljump12

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag
To be clear, we're not sure why Automotive New reported that "All complainants" said there was no warning or error message, but then pointed out that some mentioned an error message. This seems to contradict itself, so we'll have to wait for further details from NHTSA.
I believe they meant that there was no error message at the time of the failure, and it wasn't until stopped (or restarted) that an error message appeared.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I encourage everyone who has experienced the issue in the US to file an NHTSA report online. It is free and easy. The short description of the incident and what the dealer did is also very useful for the investigation.

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Kingske said:
To be clear, we're not sure why Automotive New reported that "All complainants" said there was no warning or error message, but then pointed out that some mentioned an error message. This seems to contradict itself, so we'll have to wait for further details from NHTSA.
I believe they meant that there was no error message at the time of the failure, and it wasn't until stopped (or restarted) that an error message appeared.

They specifically stated "...no error messages about a battery issue...". It looks like the error messages did not mention the battery. Good news that they've got some attention. There are a lot more than 9 instances, I'll bet from readers on this forum alone.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
All Taycans remain safe to drive

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The media certainly have a wrong description talking about the 12v battery cutting off. Maybe they confuse the 12v brick issue with the power loss while driving. When the power loss while driving happens the 12v supply is fine, the screens are on but the car does not move. At least this is the case with the latest reports after the WMA5/6 update and the bug is attributed to DME software.

However, it is a good first step for a big agency to finally hold Porsche accountable for the issue. I hope the investigation makes Porsche stop releasing poorly-tested software updates and adhoc patches and they should take our safety more seriously.

PeterL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S soon
Country flag
The statement Porsche gave to cnet's Roadshow is interesting in light of forum members saying Porsche has informed their service technicians it has identified the cause as a data overload and a software update cures it. Why cast doubt on this with the "if it turns out to be real" bit. I also liked the "there's been no accidents so far" - technically correct, which to quote Futurama is the best kind of correct, but dismissive of the genuine risk to their safety experienced by owners who lost power on freeways and curved cliffside roads.

Porsche told Roadshow in a statement, "Our first priority is the safety of anyone traveling in one of our cars. We are aware of nine customer complaints and have, as a result, received the NHTSA inquiry, which is a routine part of their oversight process. We are already underway in addressing this issue and look forward to answering the NHTSA's questions and quickly resolving the underlying issue, should one be confirmed." The spokesperson affirmed the brand had only delivered 6,552 units and added, "All Taycans remain safe to drive -- we are not aware of accidents reported in connection with this issue."

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Porsche told Roadshow in a statement, "Our first priority is the safety of anyone traveling in one of our cars. We are aware of nine customer complaints and have, as a result, received the NHTSA inquiry, which is a routine part of their oversight process. We are already underway in addressing this issue and look forward to answering the NHTSA's questions and quickly resolving the underlying issue, should one be confirmed." The spokesperson affirmed the brand had only delivered 6,552 units and added, "All Taycans remain safe to drive -- we are not aware of accidents reported in connection with this issue."

The boldface statement almost defies logic and certainly doesn't reflect what I'm sure are Porsche values. I don't think Porsche means to say that because they aren't aware of any accidents, the car is safe. This is probably the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard from Porsche. Come on guys - you have to do much better than this.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Such

The boldface statement almost defies logic and certainly doesn't reflect what I'm sure are Porsche values. I don't think Porsche means to say that because they aren't aware of any accidents, the car is safe. This is probably the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard from Porsche. Come on guys - you have to do much better than this.
Indeed! That is such a bad response, copied straight from VW PR department..
That is why when reporting to NHTSA it is important to describe not only the problem but also the dealer's response so the investigator has a better picture of reality.

Last edited: