JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
When an investigation occurs, does the agency contact the person who originally reported the problem or do they just rely on Porsche?
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
When an investigation occurs, does the agency contact the person who originally reported the problem or do they just rely on Porsche?
I submitted mine a few weeks ago and have not heard anything.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Have not logged in for some time, but this has happened once on our 2020 Taycan TS and it is worth describing the resolution, especially if you are a long way from a Porsche dealer.

After moving the Taycan three times in a parking lot (from a touchless car wash), the electrical failure message appeared and the car was unresponsive. The dash remained on but no controls or functions would respond. Attempts to recover:

• Turned off the car (that worked), locked it, and walked more than 30 feet away for 10 minutes (both myself and my wife and both our keys). Returned and turned on the car - no joy, failure remained.

• Placed both our keys in my wife's RFID shielded key pouch (she uses it to make certain the Taycan only sees the driver). Sat in the car for more than 15 minutes, occasionally opening and closing doors on purpose (causes priority interrupts and sometimes breaks computer cycles). Removed only my key and turned the Taycan on. Problem disappeared and did not return for the next three weeks - it then went to Porsche for the upgrade.

We were 20 miles from home and did not want to flatbed our Taycan. Some of these failures are real, but some are software glitches that can be repaired with some experimenting and patience.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There have been a number of reports of assorted problems great and small and everyone has been in the dark relying on speculations and third party statements as to what is happening but not much from the company. Maybe now for the first time there will be some real facts available.

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I encourage everyone who has experienced the issue in the US to file an NHTSA report online. It is free and easy. The short description of the incident and what the dealer did is also very useful for the investigation.
I did submit a report after being adivsed by another forum member! Very happy I listened. The NHTSA actually contacted me to get more information which I was happy to provide. My car did it again and Porsche USA contacted me and did not want to buy the car back, instead they offered to cover 2 car payments if I agreed to allow them to wipe the record clean on my car, (meaning to erase the service records and act as if I never had this problem) I humbly declined as I will not let them off the hook for a safety issue as huge as this. They ultimately did a software update and things have been good thus far.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I did submit a report after being adivsed by another forum member! Very happy I listened. The NHTSA actually contacted me to get more information which I was happy to provide. My car did it again and Porsche USA contacted me and did not want to buy the car back, instead they offered to cover 2 car payments if I agreed to allow them to wipe the record clean on my car, (meaning to erase the service records and act as if I never had this problem) I humbly declined as I will not let them off the hook for a safety issue as huge as this. They ultimately did a software update and things have been good thus far.
did it happen again after the patch was applied?!
Also WTF Porsche is now in full cover up mode? What a dishonest POS company. How could a brand that acts like such an utter shit have such brand loyalty?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My car did it again and Porsche USA contacted me and did not want to buy the car back, instead they offered to cover 2 car payments if I agreed to allow them to wipe the record clean on my car, (meaning to erase the service records and act as if I never had this problem)
Wow, maybe they want to hide that they know about the issues and they haven't done anything about it yet.

We should start submitting NHTSA complaints for other safety related issues like ParkAssist and WBA failing intermittently. The response "it is just a glitch and restart the car" is not an acceptable answer.

Last edited:

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I’m not sure what bodes more poorly: 1) That Porsche even has the ability to do this, or 2) They actually suggested doing it in return for a pitiful rookerfull of money towards the customer.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Please update your NHTSA case with the information that Porsche essentially offered you a bribe to erase your service records and cover up this potentially life threatening flaw. That needs to be on the record too.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Sorry guys have not had the patience to read all your have said. So I might be repeating some other posts.
Here is my experience with this phenomenon.

first time it happened I was moving slowly through an intersection in heavy morning traffic. Ans the car lost 90% of its propulsion power. After the power was gone the car indicated that I needed to park safely and call a technician. So I kind of pulled aside in the middle of the intersection where I was ans turned the car off. Waited 20secs and turned on again. That worked à sa stop gap.
Then I went straight to my dealer that diagnosed the cars electronics and found nothing major but LOTS of small errors. So the re-initialised the car and hoped for the best.
Since then I have had two similar incidences however much more concerning…… doing north of 180km/h on a quick business trip to southern Germany the car lost power. it regained it again with a. Very strange message. It said: put your hands back on the steering wheel…..? I do not have inodrive and my hand were firmly planted on the wheel! This happened again yesterday doing about speed limit on the highway, here in Switzerland.
So there seems to be a confusion in the system about certain inodrive commands and safety apparatuses after I got the last system updates……..

The car is going in again on Tuesday on a Porsche Switzerland request….. so saga to be continued. :)

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
This is the result of a borked update. It needs to be redone. Had the same issue.

Sorry guys have not had the patience to read all your have said. So I might be repeating some other posts.
Here is my experience with this phenomenon.

first time it happened I was moving slowly through an intersection in heavy morning traffic. Ans the car lost 90% of its propulsion power. After the power was gone the car indicated that I needed to park safely and call a technician. So I kind of pulled aside in the middle of the intersection where I was ans turned the car off. Waited 20secs and turned on again. That worked à sa stop gap.
Then I went straight to my dealer that diagnosed the cars electronics and found nothing major but LOTS of small errors. So the re-initialised the car and hoped for the best.
Since then I have had two similar incidences however much more concerning…… doing north of 180km/h on a quick business trip to southern Germany the car lost power. it regained it again with a. Very strange message. It said: put your hands back on the steering wheel…..? I do not have inodrive and my hand were firmly planted on the wheel! This happened again yesterday doing about speed limit on the highway, here in Switzerland.
So there seems to be a confusion in the system about certain inodrive commands and safety apparatuses after I got the last system updates……..

The car is going in again on Tuesday on a Porsche Switzerland request….. so saga to be continued. :)

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag
My 2021 my failed Saturday while driving on I95; luckily in right lane and pulled off onto the shoulder. Shutdown followed by restart allowed the car to function again normally. Notified dealer and filed with NHTSA

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
did it happen again after the patch was applied?!
Also WTF Porsche is now in full cover up mode? What a dishonest POS company. How could a brand that acts like such an utter shit have such brand loyalty?
So far it has not had anymore issues. The software update was approxamately 2 weeks ago! I havent had any issues thus far! I couldnt believe what I was hearing! I told him that was the most ridiculous offer I have ever heard of! He told me, "I dont make the rules but I can certainly understand why you are upset". This experience with Porsche has been unreal. I understand glitches etc, but not owning up to something this big is not a good representation of Porsche.

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT, BMW i3s, X5, 540i
Country flag
... Porsche USA contacted me and did not want to buy the car back, instead they offered to cover 2 car payments if I agreed to allow them to wipe the record clean on my car, (meaning to erase the service records and act as if I never had this problem) I humbly declined as I will not let them off the hook for a safety issue as huge as this. ...
Wow, wow, I can't believe what I'm reading. Just having the ability to do that is simply mind blowing. I'm considering canceling my order.
Sponsored