Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Some meandering thoughts from my first weekend with the car.

Charging

I optioned the 19.2kW charger. There’s been a fair amount of conversation on the option in the forum, and mostly negative due to interfering with Plug & Charge as well as people seeming to generally not understand the option when they ordered.

But I’m happy with it. It fits my use case of running around with kids and needing to charge quick during stops at home. I also live in MO (that’s one of those middle states you fly over on the way to somewhere interesting ✈ ?) and there isn’t great public charging in this area, so losing P&C is a small price for better home charging for me.

I have an 18kW charger and pull a solid 17kW at the car. ????

Porsche Taycan Meandering thoughts about my first weekend with the car 1C73FF7A-41E0-4371-8C38-188BA6CD826A

I also have a 14-30 receptacle as a backup. I sized it this way because I can use both simultaneously on my 125A sub panel if I ever get a 2nd EV. My PMC+ has a 14-30 supply cable for this purpose. I also keep the PMC+ with all of the supply cables in the cubby under the Taycan trunk floor for travel (just in case).

Insulated Glass

The car is my wife’s DD so, I mostly left the options to her discretion. Insulated glass was a top one for her. She likes the car as quite as possible.

It’s definitely quite, but I couldn’t quantify the difference the option makes.

I was surprised to see a visual difference in the glass. You can see the multiple panes.

Porsche Taycan Meandering thoughts about my first weekend with the car EC737881-4319-4ACB-BF8C-D57EA30C7666

We had issues with our garage door opener not being read unless we were right up against the door, but we mapped the diamond button on the right hand side of the dash to homelink and that works fine from a reasonable distance. So, no issues here.

However, my wife was having issues getting her phone navigation to work inside the car. The GPS couldn’t locate us. I’m not sure if that is glass related or not.

I had heard of potential issues with rolling the windows down with the thicker glass if you add tint, but I have not seen any issues with this.

Speaking of tint...

Back Window

I went with a 5% tint on the rear windows. This is what I have on my Macan and it’s fine.

But on the Taycan, the rear window is so small, the 5% tint is too dark. The rear door windows are fine, but the back window is really hard to see out of now in low light. I wish I had gone lighter.

Good thing there’s a back up camera. Speaking of which...

Cameras

What is up with these cameras? I feel like I’m on drugs trying to look at these things. ?

We optioned the surround view because I’ve had it in the other cars and I can’t hardly imagine parking without them.

But, geez, the 360 view feels subpar...and the front and rear cameras just make me physically ill. ?

I do like the wheel travel lines. I’ve had surround views with and without and this is always a welcome addition.

I also like the side view for seeing the wheels. Fist time I’ve had this type of view.

Overall, I’d rather have them than not, but not the best implementation.

Standard Interior

We have the standard interior in limestone beige and it looks great. I would have gone with black , but...not my car.

I know a lot of people are all about the full leather, but we had standard interior in our other P-cars, so we’re used to this. I can see how if your used to full leather, this would feel like a downgrade though.

If anyone is on the fence, I think your perception of standard vs full leather will largely depend on your past experience.
We would have only gone with full leather for a specific color. We really liked the red, but we weren’t going to do red with our exterior color choice.

Speaking of which...

Mamba Green Metallic

I saw this color on a Macan when we took our Taycan test drive. I really liked it and it’s one of the few things I pushed hard to get her to pick (the others being the performance battery and the larger charger).

We were told we’re the first green Taycan delivered to STL, so hopefully we won’t be seeing any others on the road anytime soon.

It’s an interesting color. It can look dark in low light and really bright, almost yellowish, in bright light.

But then I drove it around....and...and...OMG the car is the exact same color as grass. Grass and leaves. ??? WTF? If I parked it in a field, I’m sure it would just disappear and I’d never find it. ??

Porsche Taycan Meandering thoughts about my first weekend with the car 86CB44F7-4A98-411B-A256-EC044417219C

I’m not sure what I think about the color at the moment. I like it but I wish nature would find something else to do.

20” Sport Aero Wheels

I didn’t get to see these in person before our car showed up.

I knew there was a metal plate behind the spokes, but the wheels are overall much flatter in person than I expected. I expected the spokes to be out further from the plate than they are.

Porsche Taycan Meandering thoughts about my first weekend with the car 53CDDE71-1546-4BB4-8ABC-535BD4D95DCA

I would probably still go with them again, but I wish there were more normal wheel options that aren’t just about trying to optimize range.

Metal Roof

My wife is deathly afraid of the sun, so metal roof it was. Which is fine with me; the car kind of feels like a cave, but I actually like it that way. I don’t think I would have liked the glass roof with no way to close it off.

Massage Seats

We ordered the massage seats, sight unseen (unfelt?).

My wife is moderately happy with them. I’m indifferent. I don’t like massages, so I leave them off.

She said it’s not the best, but when they turn off, she notices and misses them. She immediately turns them back on.

Her reaction reminded me of using heated jackets in really cold weather. They aren’t perfect, but you notice when they turn off...?

And speaking of cold...

Air Conditioning

This is our first EV, so air conditioning without an engine running was an unexpected perk.

It was 90 deg in our garage ?, but we sat comfortably ? in the car while we setup accounts, profiles, and of course, the most important setting of all, ambient light color. ????⚪

Ingress/Egress

I paid special attention to this due to the other thread about getting out and the B-pillar. I really don’t have any issues.

Rear Seats

The rear seats are really comfortable, just a little short on head room. I’m 6 foot and there is just barely not enough room for me. I think 5’10” and under would be fine in the back.

Volume Knob

I can’t find it. Surely it’s in here somewhere...

Audi’s volume knob is in a dumb place...but at least it exists.

Super annoying when I’m a passenger and can only use the buttons.

Door Handles

I don’t feel like I have the hang of these yet. They’re out when I want them in and in when I want them out.

Maybe someone wired them backwards.

Or maybe I’m not smart enough to use doors.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sport Chrono (lack of)

“Where’s the clock?” ?

That was the first thing my wife asked when she saw the dash.

“You didn’t want to pay for it when we ordered and you didn’t want to review the options anymore even though I asked you to look them over several times before the freeze date. That’s where the clock is.”

She doesn’t care about sport plus or the drive modes. She just wants a clock. Oh well...

Acceleration

Below around 60 mph or so, if I slam the accelerator, my wife bangs her head on the seat. It’s pretty funny.

I’m not exactly sure where the line is, but I’ve been informed that once was understandable and 12 times is excessive.

Our couch is pretty comfortable though.
?

Overrun Recuperation

So, the overrun to me feels a little like engine braking and when off it feels a little like coasting in neutral.

This may seem dumb and I’m probably in a minority, but I’d love a third pedal that disabled overrun regen when pressed. Maybe even variable by pedal travel.

I know it’ll never happen; but I can dream.

Final Thoughts

Some minor annoyances, but overall a great car. I’d absolutely buy it again. It drives fantastic and looks awesome. Two thumbs up!
??

Last edited:

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There is a volume control on the lower screen/touch panel - bottom right, below A/C controls - + and - 'buttons'. It is not well marked but as the only driver I use the steering wheel scroller 99% of the time. If you had the passenger display I think you can also set this up to control the music volume.
I agree with your comments on the wheels and cameras!

Dr Monty

First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, BMW iX50, Audi
Country flag
Some meandering thoughts from my first weekend with the car.

Charging

I optioned the 19.2kW charger. There’s been a fair amount of conversation on the option in the forum, and mostly negative due to interfering with Plug & Charge as well as people seeming to generally not understand the option when they ordered.

But I’m happy with it. It fits my use case of running around with kids and needing to charge quick during stops at home. I also live in MO (that’s one of those middle states you fly over on the way to somewhere interesting ✈ ?) and there isn’t great public charging in this area, so losing P&C is a small price for better home charging for me.

I have an 18kW charger and pull a solid 17kW at the car. ????

1C73FF7A-41E0-4371-8C38-188BA6CD826A.png

I also have a 14-30 receptacle as a backup. I sized it this way because I can use both simultaneously on my 125A sub panel if I ever get a 2nd EV. My PMC+ has a 14-30 supply cable for this purpose. I also keep the PMC+ with all of the supply cables in the cubby under the Taycan trunk floor for travel (just in case).

Insulated Glass

The car is my wife’s DD so, I mostly left the options to her discretion. Insulated glass was a top one for her. She likes the car as quite as possible.

It’s definitely quite, but I couldn’t quantify the difference the option makes.

I was surprised to see a visual difference in the glass. You can see the multiple panes.

EC737881-4319-4ACB-BF8C-D57EA30C7666.jpeg

We had issues with our garage door opener not being read unless we were right up against the door, but we mapped the diamond button on the right hand side of the dash to homelink and that works fine from a reasonable distance. So, no issues here.

However, my wife was having issues getting her phone navigation to work inside the car. The GPS couldn’t locate us. I’m not sure if that is glass related or not.

I had heard of potential issues with rolling the windows down with the thicker glass if you add tint, but I have not seen any issues with this.

Speaking of tint...

Back Window

I went with a 5% tint on the rear windows. This is what I have on my Macan and it’s fine.

But on the Taycan, the rear window is so small, the 5% tint is too dark. The rear door windows are fine, but the back window is really hard to see out of now in low light. I wish I had gone lighter.

Good thing there’s a back up camera. Speaking of which...

Cameras

What is up with these cameras? I feel like I’m on drugs trying to look at these things. ?

We optioned the surround view because I’ve had it in the other cars and I can’t hardly imagine parking without them.

But, geez, the 360 view feels subpar...and the front and rear cameras just make me physically ill. ?

I do like the wheel travel lines. I’ve had surround views with and without and this is always a welcome addition.

I also like the side view for seeing the wheels. Fist time I’ve had this type of view.

Overall, I’d rather have them than not, but not the best implementation.

Standard Interior

We have the standard interior in limestone beige and it looks great. I would have gone with black , but...not my car.

I know a lot of people are all about the full leather, but we had standard interior in our other P-cars, so we’re used to this. I can see how if your used to full leather, this would feel like a downgrade though.

If anyone is on the fence, I think your perception of standard vs full leather will largely depend on your past experience.
We would have only gone with full leather for a specific color. We really liked the red, but we weren’t going to do red with our exterior color choice.

Speaking of which...

Mamba Green Metallic

I saw this color on a Macan when we took our Taycan test drive. I really liked it and it’s one of the few things I pushed hard to get her to pick (the others being the performance battery and the larger charger).

We were told we’re the first green Taycan delivered to STL, so hopefully we won’t be seeing any others on the road anytime soon.

It’s an interesting color. It can look dark in low light and really bright, almost yellowish, in bright light.

But then I drove it around....and...and...OMG the car is the exact same color as grass. Grass and leaves. ??? WTF? If I parked it in a field, I’m sure it would just disappear and I’d never find it. ??

86CB44F7-4A98-411B-A256-EC044417219C.jpeg

I’m not sure what I think about the color at the moment. I like it but I wish nature would find something else to do.

20” Sport Aero Wheels

I didn’t get to see these in person before our car showed up.

I knew there was a metal plate behind the spokes, but the wheels are overall much flatter in person than I expected. I expected the spokes to be out further from the plate than they are.

53CDDE71-1546-4BB4-8ABC-535BD4D95DCA.jpeg

I would probably still go with them again, but I wish there were more normal wheel options that aren’t just about trying to optimize range.

Metal Roof

My wife is deathly afraid of the sun, so metal roof it was. Which is fine with me; the car kind of feels like a cave, but I actually like it that way. I don’t think I would have liked the glass roof with no way to close it off.

Massage Seats

We ordered the massage seats, sight unseen (unfelt?).

My wife is moderately happy with them. I’m indifferent. I don’t like massages, so I leave them off.

She said it’s not the best, but when they turn off, she notices and misses them. She immediately turns them back on.

Her reaction reminded me of using heated jackets in really cold weather. They aren’t perfect, but you notice when they turn off...?

And speaking of cold...

Air Conditioning

This is our first EV, so air conditioning without an engine running was an unexpected perk.

It was 90 deg in our garage ?, but we sat comfortably ? in the car while we setup accounts, profiles, and of course, the most important setting of all, ambient light color. ????⚪

Ingress/Egress

I paid special attention to this due to the other thread about getting out and the B-pillar. I really don’t have any issues.

Rear Seats

The rear seats are really comfortable, just a little short on head room. I’m 6 foot and there is just barely not enough room for me. I think 5’10” and under would be fine in the back.

Volume Knob

I can’t find it. Surely it’s in here somewhere...

Audi’s volume knob is in a dumb place...but at least it exists.

Super annoying when I’m a passenger and can only use the buttons.

Door Handles

I don’t feel like I have the hang of these yet. They’re out when I want them in and in when I want them out.

Maybe someone wired them backwards.

Or maybe I’m not smart enough to use doors.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sport Chrono (lack of)

“Where’s the clock?” ?

“You didn’t want to pay for it when we ordered and you didn’t want to review the options anymore even though I asked you to look them over several times before the freeze date. That’s where the clock is.”

She doesn’t care about sport plus or the drive modes. She just wants a clock. Oh well...

Acceleration

Below around 60 mph or so, if I slam the accelerator, my wife bangs her head on the seat. It’s pretty funny.

I’m not exactly sure where the line is, but I’ve been informed that once was understandable and 12 times is excessive.

?

Overrun Recuperation

So, the overrun to me feels a little like engine braking and when off it feels a little like coasting in neutral.

This may seem dumb and I’m probably in a minority, but I’d love a third pedal that disabled overrun regen when pressed. Maybe even variable by pedal travel.

Final Thoughts

Some minor annoyances, but overall a great car. I’d absolutely buy it again. It drives fantastic and looks awesome. Two thumbs up!
??
Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, not much meandering! Three months more waiting before I can pen my version.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
What a great read! Thank you so much for putting this together.

Sport Chrono (lack of)

“Where’s the clock?” ?

Isn't there a clock on the right side of the instrument cluster screen behind the steering wheel? I found the location annoying in a loaner as I had to shift my head a little to see it. Same for the temperature indicator on the left side of the same screen. I asked if they could be turned off.

Acceleration

?
LMAO!!!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

There is the regen/recuperation button on the steering wheel. Red interior with Mamba is awesome! I have a white/red RWD but if I ordered Mamba I would do the watermelon edition. ?

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a volume control on the lower screen/touch panel - bottom right, below A/C controls - + and - 'buttons'.
I know. But I don’t like the buttons. Maybe I can just reach across the car and use the roller on the steering wheel. ?

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Isn't there a clock on the right side of the instrument cluster screen behind the steering wheel? I found the location annoying in a loaner as I had to shift my head a little to see it. Same for the temperature indicator on the left side of the same screen.
Yes, both potentially obstructed by the steering wheel, but I think I was able to move the wheel out so I was able to view them while still being comfortable.

Porsche Taycan Meandering thoughts about my first weekend with the car 76CB54FE-F843-4264-9A24-F97CC78CF4E8

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Snappy77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Outstanding write-up, thanks for taking the time.

P.S. You can always say hey Porsche / Siri, what time is it? :idea:

MrRothIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Incoming: Taycan
Country flag
Congrats- any more pictures of the interior would be appreciated. Ordered white but thinking hard about Mamba. Don't like the black interior and wasn't sure how the Limestone would look with Mamba.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
This had me cracking up, and then my wife looked at me and said “that’s not funny.” Sometimes close to home is just priceless.

Acceleration

?
As others have noted on recuperation, that little button on the steering wheel is great. I absolutely love the coasting feel of the Taycan, there’s nothing like it. When I’m more stop & go, going downhill, or coming to a light and don’t feel like hitting the brakes then I activate it. A little gamification while driving, kind of like hypermiling. That feeling of coast though...smoothness that just can’t be compared
Sponsored