So based on the new EPA "Range" are you cancelling?

Are you going to cancel your Taycan Order?

• Total voters
OP
OP
TAYC4N

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
As I’ve said before I believe the range will be higher than the 201 EPA and certainly more than the 180
I’ve got a 4s and Etron on order and the 4s will obviously have a better range than the Etron’s 200m ish

realistically I’m expecting 220min and 280max so as long as it’s in that range I’ll be happy, but I’m also aware that even if it has a 220m range it can only be driven 90% as any more and I’d risk running out of battery
I hope so mate. I have an option to hold my order and not cancel until more real world figures are out so as of now I am under the not sure section!

Nothing has excited me more than the Taycan recently so I do hope the range is over 250 miles so that I can buy and enjoy one too!
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nothing has excited me more than the Taycan recently so I do hope the range is over 250 miles so that I can buy and enjoy one too!
Just curious, is there something specific to your needs about 250 miles? Like if it came in at 240 would you not buy it, or not enjoy it?

I may do 1-2 trips a year that are more than 200 miles, but the route I take has plenty of electrify america chargers, so not an issue. Average daily drive for me is max 30 miles including random errands.

When we had a Bolt, it was interesting that the range was around 230 miles or so on average. And I found myself having range anxiety when it went down to 120 miles even though my next trip was max 20 miles round trip and when I got home had ability to charge overnight. It was an irrational anxiety, partly because I wasn't in the habit of charging it every night, would just charge occasionally over night.

The other thing I noticed, is that i was very conscious of the efficiency when I drove (the engineer or cheap person in me), 100x more than I was when driving an ICE. I would be stingy with A/C or heat even though i had 0 risk of running out of battery. I got to break that habit ;)

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Just curious, is there something specific to your needs about 250 miles? Like if it came in at 240 would you not buy it, or not enjoy it?

I may do 1-2 trips a year that are more than 200 miles, but the route I take has plenty of electrify america chargers, so not an issue. Average daily drive for me is max 30 miles including random errands.

When we had a Bolt, it was interesting that the range was around 230 miles or so on average. And I found myself having range anxiety when it went down to 120 miles even though my next trip was max 20 miles round trip and when I got home had ability to charge overnight. It was an irrational anxiety, partly because I wasn't in the habit of charging it every night, would just charge occasionally over night.

The other thing I noticed, is that i was very conscious of the efficiency when I drove (the engineer or cheap person in me), 100x more than I was when driving an ICE. I would be stingy with A/C or heat even though i had 0 risk of running out of battery. I got to break that habit ;)
Having only 30-50 odd miles as a normal drive is really very short and wonderful for you. But one can not negate that many people that enjoy fun sporty cars and want to go EV have a much longer daily commute so having been announced as a 201mile range for the Turbo is really quite short as range goes, depending on the frequency of the fast-chargers on said route.... If there are sufficient there is NO problem and if there are few the actual range of the car becomes important......

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
so having been announced as a 201mile range for the Turbo is really quite short as range goes, depending on the frequency of the fast-chargers on said route.... If there are sufficient there is NO problem and if there are few the actual range of the car becomes important......
The EPA was the only one who announced a 201 mile range. CA CARB, AMCI, WLTP all announced significantly higher ranges and they were similar to each other.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
The EPA was the only one who announced a 201 mile range. CA CARB, AMCI, WLTP all announced significantly higher ranges and they were similar to each other.
Absolutely. And I for one believe the actual range will be better than the EPA numbers but not amazing...... due to optimization for different standards etc. But even so the most important thing is to understand the current and future fast charging situation on your most traveled long distance routes..... that will determine if you will need to find intermediate solutions often or only sporadically. And if too often then maybe reconsider the Taycan as an option for your current situation....... just saying.

on that note I am all in! :)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You commute one way more than 200 miles a day?

For traveling a range of 200 miles should be sufficient. I absolutely need a driving break every 2/2.5 hours and 20 min break is not a lot of time. For traveling the key is range + chargers + charging speed. Check your routes and see how they would work out: https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

Cute, I never bothered about that, I hit my EV hard and plug it in at home if less than 40% left and depending what's the plan for the next day.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Absolutely. And I for one believe the actual range will be better than the EPA numbers but not amazing...... due to optimization for different standards etc. But even so the most important thing is to understand the current and future fast charging situation on your most traveled long distance routes..... that will determine if you will need to find intermediate solutions often or only sporadically. And if too often then maybe reconsider the Taycan as an option for your current situation....... just saying.

on that note I am all in! :)
I agree, you need to look at this combination Of routes that you want to drive and the charger positions. With the fast charging capability of the Taycan and Ionity chargers it works very well, if the charger exists. I am still confused why Ionity have stopped their planned roll out of fast chargers for the time being.

It is also very important to specify the 150kW charging option in my opinion. Hopefully there will also be a roll out of chargers that are faster than the existing 50 kW chargers soon.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
For traveling a range of 200 miles should be sufficient. I absolutely need a driving break every 2/2.5 hours and 20 min break is not a lot of time. For traveling the key is range + chargers + charging speed.
Taking a break say every 2.5 to 3 hours is the way we would normally travel today with the higher consumption of the petrol cars we have. The range of 325 km is a bit on the low side if you travel on the fast German Autobahn, unless there are a lot of road works. In France the legal limit is 130 km on their excellent and quite deserted motorways, and then the range can also be potential issue. I would not like to arrive at the charging stop with less than say 15% charge left in the battery.

So taking a break every two hours instead is the solution but that requires a denser network of fast chargers than what is existing today. I believe this will happen once the uptake of more EV’s is starting to be noticed. And a real dream scenarios would be if Porsche, VW, Audi, Mercedes, BMW could find a solution to negotiate a deal with Tesla to utilise their infrastructure?? I think Musk has been open to such negotiations, but nothing seems to have been happening as yet??

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag

I haven't driven EVs yet, but what I've seen based on how EVs are usually driven on the roads here at least, and from all the discussions about EV driving, this seems to be a fairly common issue. It is easy to get in the hypermiling mindset with EVs and constantly thinking about how your settings and driving affect the energy consumption.

As I know this, and don't really want to go there myself, I'm making a conscious attempt at staying as rational as possible regarding the range. I will do hypermiling if I really need to, if the journey would be much slower or impossible without it, but otherwise I will not do that. I will drive the car like a Porsche.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
What I learned from Tesla is that once the algorithm adjusts for the highway consumption (temperature, wind) it becomes highly accurate in predicting the exact range - therefore I plan to arrive at a supercharger with ideally less than 10% charge. In this way you minimize the number of stops and you reduce the time charging, as at the lowest range is where you will see the maximum charging speeds. I think Porsche is going to be the same, and in a few years the fast charging stations be as common as superchargers.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello SVP,

the less than 10%-strategy would frighten me. When renting an EV, it has happened to me even this year on a major highway that some of the charging stations were simply kaputt, or that the hotel charging stations where in the underground car park, but it was full with regular cars who had even parked on the dedicated ev parking places, and so on.

Better have some extra water under the keel ;)!

Cheers,
Henrik

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
hmmm 75% remaining but only 144 miles :-(
It's useless to look at these range estimates on the car screen. Please stop it guys. The reason why it is useless, is that these estimates try to be as realistic as possible based on your recent driving behaviour. I expect a lot of people that are test driving the car at this point, to be quite heavy on the accelerator. It will have lower range if you accelerate a lot all the time, and the estimate on the screen will reflect that.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Itry to be as realistic as possible based on your recent driving behaviour.
Agreed. Plus the data is all over the place. I was in a dealer demo turbo S yesterday, had 155 range with 60% remaining (258 range) and according to the sales person, everyone tries the acceleration and speed and drives it fast on the highway (he told me: "no, we will not pay for any speeding tickets during a test drive, even if you order the car").

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
It's useless to look at these range estimates on the car screen. Please stop it guys. The reason why it is useless, is that these estimates try to be as realistic as possible based on your recent driving behaviour. I expect a lot of people that are test driving the car at this point, to be quite heavy on the accelerator. It will have lower range if you accelerate a lot all the time, and the estimate on the screen will reflect that.
At 3:33 the reviewer switches into Sport Plus mode. That's murdering range.
In "Normal" mode it's 150 miles and in "Sport" it's 147.

Porsche Taycan So based on the new EPA "Range" are you cancelling? screenshot
Sponsored

Last edited: