First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
No significant issues opening the door.
But a layer of ice did accumulate one day where the lower part of the window meets the body. It was frozen and the window couldn’t roll down the 1/2” it does to clear the door seals. The window motor tried over and over again, failing to move the window at all. It stopped trying once I closed the door.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'm guessing you can get in and out of the car without the window coming down to clear the door seal at the top, but think the seal might not last as long if this happened all the time.
Sponsored

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
A couple of issues. One, in 20°F weather, the charging cable doesn’t flex much. The cable needs to be twisted slightly to meet the car, and when super cold, it doesn’t want to do that.
Second, the plows leave 3-12” of snow in front of stations. So I have to nose right into a snow bank to get close enough.
Third, I’d wager the California test cars moved their cars a few feet to one side or the other to reach. If you align the car’s side to the cable, it reaches. Just... barely. Or they have longer cables.

my range is being significantly affected by the time I have the car Conditioning itself. It was 17°F this morning. The car was heating itself (including the battery pack) up from ambient temps to interior temp of 67°F, and batteries were up to about 50°F. It also warms the seats, the steering wheel, and the rear window defroster. It’s spending 30 minutes warming the car.

I do not yet have a home charger. So I’m burning range for my comfort. (And clear windows).

with all of that, I’m hesitant to quote actual range because it’s... complicated.
With the BMW i3, in the winter most of us precondition the car. If the car is plugged in to a Level 2 charger, you tell the car when you are planning on leaving it and it will precondition the battery using the EVSE and precondition the cabin temperature (if you want it to) so the car is nice and comfortable (and the range is improved) when you are ready to leave. With the i3 this is critical for many in the winter given the small battery capacity (i.e., limited range). You can precondition just the cabin when the car is not connected to the EVSE, but as you mentioned, it significantly affects the range. I have to admit the thing I was most surprised with on the i3 was how much energy is used just to heat the cabin (mine doesn't use a heat pump, so it might not be nearly as extreme for you).

Have you decided what kind of EVSE you are buying for home use? I'm very happy with my ChargePoint Home with the i3.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
A couple of issues. One, in 20°F weather, the charging cable doesn’t flex much. The cable needs to be twisted slightly to meet the car, and when super cold, it doesn’t want to do that.
Second, the plows leave 3-12” of snow in front of stations. So I have to nose right into a snow bank to get close enough.
Third, I’d wager the California test cars moved their cars a few feet to one side or the other to reach. If you align the car’s side to the cable, it reaches. Just... barely. Or they have longer cables.

my range is being significantly affected by the time I have the car Conditioning itself. It was 17°F this morning. The car was heating itself (including the battery pack) up from ambient temps to interior temp of 67°F, and batteries were up to about 50°F. It also warms the seats, the steering wheel, and the rear window defroster. It’s spending 30 minutes warming the car.

I do not yet have a home charger. So I’m burning range for my comfort. (And clear windows).

with all of that, I’m hesitant to quote actual range because it’s... complicated.
But you are toasty, and if you are not going on a long trip, crank it up, how long does it take to charge at home? Any other tibbits you have noticed?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'm guessing you can get in and out of the car without the window coming down to clear the door seal at the top, but think the seal might not last as long if this happened all the time.
It only happened once. The ice conditions were “perfect”.

yes, the door still opened.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With the BMW i3, in the winter most of us precondition the car. If the car is plugged in to a Level 2 charger, you tell the car when you are planning on leaving it and it will precondition the battery using the EVSE and precondition the cabin temperature (if you want it to) so the car is nice and comfortable (and the range is improved) when you are ready to leave. With the i3 this is critical for many in the winter given the small battery capacity (i.e., limited range). You can precondition just the cabin when the car is not connected to the EVSE, but as you mentioned, it significantly affects the range. I have to admit the thing I was most surprised with on the i3 was how much energy is used just to heat the cabin (mine doesn't use a heat pump, so it might not be nearly as extreme for you).

Have you decided what kind of EVSE you are buying for home use? I'm very happy with my ChargePoint Home with the i3.
Yes. In California I used to precondition my ActiveE and my wife’s Tesla. The Taycan preconditions nicely, I’d just rather be doing it while plugged in.

As soon as I can find someone to cut a trench across my frozen Maine driveway, I’ll install a ChargePoint Flex. I’ve owned two of their charging stations in the past.

Expensive option: get a company that started business cutting into frozen tundra in Alaska. Cheap option: Wait for the spring thaw. I’m impatient... so you can imagine which way this will go.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But you are toasty, and if you are not going on a long trip, crank it up, how long does it take to charge at home? Any other tibbits you have noticed?
Yes, for now, I’m just driving locally, so I’ll burn the electrons on being toasty.

Once I have a level 2 at home, it’ll do a full charge from zero in about 10-11 hours. Easy, overnight. But most days I won’t need anything near a full charge.

other tidbits? Tiny little software bugs. Expected for a 1.0 product. Also, as a career Software Quality Assurance Engineer, bugs just happen to me. Nothing major. Nothing that would turn me away from the car. It’s fantastic. I love it. Very happy with my purchase.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Yes, for now, I’m just driving locally, so I’ll burn the electrons on being toasty.

Once I have a level 2 at home, it’ll do a full charge from zero in about 10-11 hours. Easy, overnight. But most days I won’t need anything near a full charge.

other tidbits? Tiny little software bugs. Expected for a 1.0 product. Also, as a career Software Quality Assurance Engineer, bugs just happen to me. Nothing major. Nothing that would turn me away from the car. It’s fantastic. I love it. Very happy with my purchase.
Thanks, I agree, burn those electrons, Have you tried doing a manual software update? Just curious, someone said there dealer did a software update and got more range, have you used Porsche connect to do anything remotely, how's the stereo?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, I agree, burn those electrons, Have you tried doing a manual software update? Just curious, someone said there dealer did a software update and got more range, have you used Porsche connect to do anything remotely, how's the stereo?
I have not tried to do a manual software update. I’ll try that tomorrow. I’ll be at the dealer getting my all-season tires (surprisingly good) swapped for full snow tires.

The bose stereo is fine. No complaints other than I’d like to customize the source listing. I want to move the never-used to the bottom and the most used to the top. I’m not an audiophile. I play compressed mp3 files and enjoy dozens of genres playing at random. In my past, I’ve employed folks who have “golden ears” and who could hear nuances I just can’t. We were developing audio products.

A small bug of there is no mute button other than the steering wheel, and when the car is turned off, (but the music is still playing until the door is opened) that mute button doesn’t work because the steering wheel controls are now shut off. Little things.

I use the Connect app to precondition the car and check on range. I just discovered the “plan a trip and charging stops” feature today. It “planned” a trip successfully from Maine to the BMW plant in South Carolina. But failed when I tried to “plan” a trip to California. Or even halfway west on route 80. more investigation is needed.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I have not tried to do a manual software update. I’ll try that tomorrow. I’ll be at the dealer getting my all-season tires (surprisingly good) swapped for full snow tires.

The bose stereo is fine. No complaints other than I’d like to customize the source listing. I want to move the never-used to the bottom and the most used to the top. I’m not an audiophile. I play compressed mp3 files and enjoy dozens of genres playing at random. In my past, I’ve employed folks who have “golden ears” and who could hear nuances I just can’t. We were developing audio products.

A small bug of there is no mute button other than the steering wheel, and when the car is turned off, (but the music is still playing until the door is opened) that mute button doesn’t work because the steering wheel controls are now shut off. Little things.

I use the Connect app to precondition the car and check on range. I just discovered the “plan a trip and charging stops” feature today. It “planned” a trip successfully from Maine to the BMW plant in South Carolina. But failed when I tried to “plan” a trip to California. Or even halfway west on route 80. more investigation is needed.
Interesting on the charge planning, want to hear more, heard that in range mode you are limited to 70 mph can you verify, thanks for anwsering questions, I really appreciate it.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Interesting on the charge planning, want to hear more, heard that in range mode you are limited to 70 mph can you verify, thanks for anwsering questions, I really appreciate it.
Hold on.. your switching to all season tires from snow tires and you live up north?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hold on.. your switching to all season tires from snow tires and you live up north?
No. Sorry, My bad (sentence structure). I'm having the All-Seasons (which came with the car) removed, and I'm having a 2nd set of wheels put on, with full snow tires. In the spring, maybe I'll do burnouts with the all-seasons and then have some good summer shoes put on the original wheels.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
No. Sorry, My bad (sentence structure). I'm having the All-Seasons (which came with the car) removed, and I'm having a 2nd set of wheels put on, with full snow tires. In the spring, maybe I'll do burnouts with the all-seasons and then have some good summer shoes put on the original wheels.
I see, thanks, I got all season on mine and i live in the south, how do the all season do in moderate snow?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I see, thanks, I got all season on mine and i live in the south, how do the all season do in moderate snow?
The all-season tires did better than I expected. But I’d rather just go for the best traction possible.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, so I used RANGE mode for the first time this morning (for about 5 minutes). Yes, if you are using a gentle to moderate throttle, it holds you at 70. If you stomp on it you can override and go faster.

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Hi @louv ,

how is launch control under/acceleration just sports mode and not sports+ ?

I decided not to spec sports chrono on my build so hoping it’s ok in regular sport mode.

Not sure if you went for the sports sound but apparently that’s different in sports versus sport+ as well?
Sponsored