innodrive versus standard lane keep assist

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Does anyone know the different between "The Active Lane Keeping extends the adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping functionality on major inter-urban roads and motorways." which comes with annodrive

and "Lane Keeping Assist including Traffic Sign Recognition" which is standard spec.

Thanks,
Sponsored

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does anyone know the different between "The Active Lane Keeping extends the adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping functionality on major inter-urban roads and motorways." which comes with annodrive

and "Lane Keeping Assist including Traffic Sign Recognition" which is standard spec.

Thanks,
LKA uses camera to recognize the lane lines and gives Taptic feedback on the steering wheel if you attempt to meander. I hated it on my test drive. It can be disabled. It really interferes with sporty driving on public roads. To be fair ... I shouldn’t have been so vigorous on the test drive.

Innodrive is a much broader set of adaptive cruise control features. It’s a little bit like Tesla’s auto pilot. Vaguely. More limited. There are several articles about Innodrive which are worth googling. It’s been on the Panamera for a few years now

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I’ve used the lane assist in the New Bentley Continental and hated it
It’s clever With haptic feedback etc but very irritating I ended up turning it off
Love the HUD and Night vision in it though as it’s all VW group I’m assuming the Taycan will be quite similar

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I hated the lane keep assist I had in my BMW 650 few years ago - it had only the warning system. On the other hand, the Innodrive seems to have lane keeping with some autosteer included. This is a completely different feature, as it will self-center the car in the lane. I have not personally tested it, but there is one brief video with the Innodrive in action on the Taycan. If anything close to the Tesla autopilot - even if much less refined - I find it very useful for highway driving. On the same trip I find myself less tired driving in wife's model 3 than in my Merc coupe.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I hated the lane keep assist I had in my BMW 650 few years ago - it had only the warning system. On the other hand, the Innodrive seems to have lane keeping with some autosteer included. This is a completely different feature, as it will self-center the car in the lane. I have not personally tested it, but there is one brief video with the Innodrive in action on the Taycan. If anything close to the Tesla autopilot - even if much less refined - I find it very useful for highway driving. On the same trip I find myself less tired driving in wife's model 3 than in my Merc coupe.
The Bentley one is very clever and steers, will go around roundabouts as long as there are road markings
Also it adjusts the speed automatically when the speed limit changes
It’s almost autopilot (less advanced)

It struggles when it’s wet as it can’t always pick up the road markings
As I’ve said it’s clever but not really for me as I enjoy driving and I’ve never had a more comfortable car than the Bentley

MetallicBlue

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Audii Q7
Country flag
LKA uses camera to recognize the lane lines and gives Taptic feedback on the steering wheel if you attempt to meander. I hated it on my test drive. It can be disabled. It really interferes with sporty driving on public roads. To be fair ... I shouldn’t have been so vigorous on the test drive.

Innodrive is a much broader set of adaptive cruise control features. It’s a little bit like Tesla’s auto pilot. Vaguely. More limited. There are several articles about Innodrive which are worth googling. It’s been on the Panamera for a few years now
I have a 2018 Audi Q7 that has adaptive cruise control and traffic jam assist. It uses sensors, radar and camera’s to detect the lane markers, vehicles in front of you, etc. It will speed up and slow down to match the vehicle in front, all the way to stopping you in traffic. I also have active steering, where I can take my hands off the steering wheel and the Q7 will steer itself (as long as it can detect the lane markings). It’s not intended as auto-pilot and will beep if your hands are off the wheel too long. Since that’s the same company as Porsche I am expecting InnovDrive to have similar characteristics, so I’ve included that in my build.

Mike

Pyry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 turbo
Country flag
Pretty sure the lane keep assist has steering assist as well. The innodrive uses gps maps to slow down on corners etc.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Thanks,
Yes, as posted many times. LKA is not desirable to most anyone. I live with it on a car that has nothing better, and it is not annoying if you use your turn signals as you should

However, you asked about ALK which looks great. It is available with ACC or PID with apperently no differences. It also can only be used with ACC or PID enabled.

Note ALK does not handle acceleration/breaking that is ACC or PID. Note also that ALK works from 0 to 165mph, I can't wait to test that.

A snippet from Porsche Good to Know:
Active Lane Keeping
Operating principle
Active Lane Keeping uses the front camera as well as front and rear radar to continuously scan the area around the vehicle and helps the driver to keep the vehicle in the selected lane.

• When the system is active, the driver can set a preferred position within the lane. When the driver keeps the vehicle at the desired position for several seconds, the system ends lane center guidance and starts driving at the selected offset position. The shift in position is reset again when the system becomes passive or is switched off (e.g. by activating the turn signal changing lanes or braking).
  • The system always prioritizes the lane markings over other objects (e.g. vehicles). In some cases, this can mean that the driver has to position the vehicle in the center of the lane in order to activate the system. Activation of the system outside the center of the lane is prevented so that the driver does not feel a strong movement on the steering wheel immediately after the system is activated.
  • The driver is responsible for moving to the side of the road to create a lane for emergency vehicles. In such situations, the driver can switch off the system or override the system using the steering wheel.
Sponsored

Reactions: Dee