Horrible cell phone reception in Taycan - any solutions?

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan Turbo S; MY22 911 GT3; MY22 911 TS Cab
Country flag
Let me start by saying I love the Taycan and overall I am very pleased with the car. Nothing is quite like the style/drive/power/looks and out of our 4 Porsche vehicles this is likely my favorite all around.

However, I have consistently had cell phone reception issues on roads I have driven for years and never had cell service issues with Verizon Wireless, and now in the Taycan I basically have zero reception! In my 911, GT4, and my wife’s Cayenne I get reception like I always have but in the Taycan I get 0 bars of service. I was told this could be because of the thermo-insulated glass? But I am struggling with how to address this because I am generally on the phone the entire time I am in my vehicles! (For work purposes generally)

I thought I had a solution with the wifi hotspot and doing wifi calling but the last few days that has proven unreliable for phone calls as well. I blamed my iPhone 12 Pro Max at first went up the chain at Apple and Verizon and finally after replacing the phone realized it’s the damn Taycan not the phone! Ugh. What is striking to me is I can’t find much about it on the forums or anywhere honestly.
Sponsored

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Let me start by saying I love the Taycan and overall I am very pleased with the car. Nothing is quite like the style/drive/power/looks and out of our 4 Porsche vehicles this is likely my favorite all around.

However, I have consistently had cell phone reception issues on roads I have driven for years and never had cell service issues with Verizon Wireless, and now in the Taycan I basically have zero reception! In my 911, GT4, and my wife’s Cayenne I get reception like I always have but in the Taycan I get 0 bars of service. I was told this could be because of the thermo-insulated glass? But I am struggling with how to address this because I am generally on the phone the entire time I am in my vehicles! (For work purposes generally)

I thought I had a solution with the wifi hotspot and doing wifi calling but the last few days that has proven unreliable for phone calls as well. I blamed my iPhone 12 Pro Max at first went up the chain at Apple and Verizon and finally after replacing the phone realized it’s the damn Taycan not the phone! Ugh. What is striking to me is I can’t find much about it on the forums or anywhere honestly.
I believe the US MY2021 and 2020 Taycans have a phone box/cell phone signal amplifier but it has to authorized and activated.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

do you have the extra thick glass on the car? or did you use a metallic tint on your glass? both of those will impact on phone reception. one way to test if it is the glass is to make a call and when you experience poor quality open the windows, if the quality improves then it is the glass.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
We have the insulated glass and my wife has issues with her phone (iPhone X) in the car. But I have an iPhone 12 and do not have any issues.

Interestingly, she also has issues with the Apple AirPlay (Bluesound Node 2i) for our basement, but I do not.

I told her to get a new phone, which I thought would fix both issues. But now I’m not sure.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
one way to test if it is the glass is to make a call and when you experience poor quality open the windows, if the quality improves then it is the glass.
We did that test early on and saw the signal improve on the problem phone. But we used the maps app. The phone show no signal and the maps wouldn’t work. Then we rolled the window down and it was fine.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
We did that test early on and saw the signal improve on the problem phone. But we used the maps app. The phone show no signal and the maps wouldn’t work. Then we rolled the window down and it was fine.
it appears to be a glass blocking the signal issue.
has anyone else with the heavy duty glass reported phone issues?

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am not sure what glass is in the car but rolling the windows down doesn’t change anything at all! I do have light 30% window tint but I have that on all my cars without issue.

How do you turn on the cell service amplifier?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you turn on the cell service amplifier?
I think you have to put the phone in the storage tray.

I just tried this with my phone and saw a repeatable signal boost putting it in the tray and loss taking it out.

I did not have to accept, acknowledge, or turn anything on that I’m aware of to make this work.

Porsche Taycan Horrible cell phone reception in Taycan - any solutions? D0015A2F-4DF6-49DA-AAAE-32517EBD5D6C

Place the back of the phone towards the side wall.

Jmrdmd

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have the the dual pane thermal glass and tinted windows (same tint on all my cars) and the iPhone 12 Pro Max cellphone service is horrendous. I even tried plugging the phone in and there was no change.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I am not sure what glass is in the car but rolling the windows down doesn’t change anything at all! I do have light 30% window tint but I have that on all my cars without issue.
there are some metallic tints that will inhibit radio signals. I had an internal sirius antenna that had to be remoted externally after using a metallic window tint.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the the dual pane thermal glass and tinted windows (same tint on all my cars) and the iPhone 12 Pro Max cellphone service is horrendous. I even tried plugging the phone in and there was no change.
Did you try using the storage tray?

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am right there with you! I mean it’s so bad it almost makes me avoid driving the car because half the time I can’t reply to text messages, look at the internet at all, or talk on the phone. I am hoping putting it in the storage tray helps but then it’s a matter of remembering to take it out of the car.

Jmrdmd

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I’m going to try the storage tray in the morning. I have my phone in a case. I have to remove it to use the tray. What a pain in the a$$! 200K car and I can’t make a call…crazy!

Reactions: B61

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
It might be 5G related if that is what you currently on. I have AT&T with iPhone 12 and the signal in my condo is nearly non-existent now that they upgraded to 5G. (I have not really checked it in the Taycan but now I will look).

My wife's iPhone 12 has no signal either, however her iPhone X and 11 both have perfect signals with LTE (yes, she has three phones). I suspect is is 5G related because the iPhone 12 s are the only ones on it. I may be wrong of course.

My thought is is due to the extra thick thermal insulated and polarized full glass walls that are in my condo. I only have one exterior wall that is not glass and that faces the interior hallways.

If I go out on my Lanai, perfect signal.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61