Horrible cell phone reception in Taycan - any solutions?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I believe the antenna “booster” is passive. There is a plate behind there connected to a feed line that routes to a small panel antenna. It’s better than nothing. I generally only have problems in rural areas so I don’t bother.

I’m having bigger problems with my ezpass toll tag. It doesn’t work no matter where I place it. I tried the license plate version under the bumper but that didn’t work either. As I don’t have a front plate that’s not an option. I could try a license plate tag on the rear … but I suspect I’ll have to drive really slow :(
Sponsored

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan Turbo S; MY22 911 GT3; MY22 911 TS Cab
Country flag
I’m going to try the storage tray in the morning. I have my phone in a case. I have to remove it to use the tray. What a pain in the a$$! 200K car and I can’t make a call…crazy!
When I say I absolutely could not agree more I really mean that. I couldn’t care less about any of this glass or whatever other excuses there are as far as I’m concerned for a $200k+ car there’s zero reason cell phone service should be an issue. From a safety standpoint and even something as simple as navigation, when I’m on the Navi on my phone it literally messes up the directions because it loses service!!

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It might be 5G related if that is what you currently on. I have AT&T with iPhone 12 and the signal in my condo is nearly non-existent now that they upgraded to 5G. (I have not really checked it in the Taycan but now I will look).

My wife's iPhone 12 has no signal either, however her iPhone X and 11 both have perfect signals with LTE (yes, she has three phones). I suspect is is 5G related because the iPhone 12 s are the only ones on it. I may be wrong of course.

My thought is is due to the extra thick thermal insulated and polarized full glass walls that are in my condo. I only have one exterior wall that is not glass and that faces the interior hallways.

If I go out on my Lanai, perfect signal.
I believe you are also correct! But what’s insanely frustrating in the iPhone 12 Pro Max with 5G turned off, the issue doesn’t get any better!! I keep telling myself if I hang in there until October maybe the new (not released yet) iPhone will work in this car!!

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I believe the antenna “booster” is passive. There is a plate behind there connected to a feed line that routes to a small panel antenna. It’s better than nothing. I generally only have problems in rural areas so I don’t bother.

I’m having bigger problems with my ezpass toll tag. It doesn’t work no matter where I place it. I tried the license plate version under the bumper but that didn’t work either. As I don’t have a front plate that’s not an option. I could try a license plate tag on the rear … but I suspect I’ll have to drive really slow :(
Same issue with EZPass although I did improve it by putting it vertically in the special zone next to the mirror. My area is changing to pay by plate anyway so I simply ignore the misses. They figure it out.

Jmrdmd

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Good Morning

So I placed my iPhone, case and all, into the holster in the center console and what do you know, it worked great! I talked for my entire ride to work with no dropped calls, no "can you hear me?", just excellent clarity.

Thanks again to this forum and all who contribute! I know that I wouldn't have tried this if it weren't for this post!

Best

Jan

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good Morning

So I placed my iPhone, case and all, into the holster in the center console and what do you know, it worked great! I talked for my entire ride to work with no dropped calls, no "can you hear me?", just excellent clarity.

Thanks again to this forum and all who contribute! I know that I wouldn't have tried this if it weren't for this post!

Best

Jan
For the love of god I hope this works for me as well! Did your phone screen face you, I take it?

Jmrdmd

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
No, I placed the phone in the holster with the screen facing away from me. Like if you would to charge it on the inductive charger, you want the back of the phone to contact it.

Best

Jan

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
No, I placed the phone in the holster with the screen facing away from me. Like if you would to charge it on the inductive charger, you want the back of the phone to contact it.

Best

Jan
be aware that if you run apps like car play, waze, while using the holder the phone will run extremely hot

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
be aware that if you run apps like car play, waze, while using the holder the phone will run extremely hot
If you turn off wireless charging, will the signal booster still work? If so, probably want to try that to avoid the excessive heat issue.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This was not how I was hoping to solve my texting while driving problem.... sigh.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
....I’m having bigger problems with my ezpass toll tag. It doesn’t work no matter where I place it. I tried the license plate version under the bumper but that didn’t work either. As I don’t have a front plate that’s not an option. I could try a license plate tag on the rear … but I suspect I’ll have to drive really slow :(
I can't find the picture that I found, but there are two rectangles to the right and left of the rear-view mirror mount that they have removed the laminate to allow ez pass to be read through this....I have mounted mine at that angle flush to the rear-view mount (it is almost vertical) and it has now been registering just fine....you just can't have it mounted 'flat' or parallel to the dash/road. I will look for the diagram/picture if I can find it.

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
My iPhone works annoyingly well. Better, even now that I switched from ATT to T-Mobile.
Do you have the thermally and noise insulated glass or no?

my build locked a couple weeks back but I’ve asked the dealer to remove the glass option based on this thread. Can’t imagine how frustrating that would be, definitely not worth some noise reduction

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
We have the insulated glass and my wife has issues with her phone (iPhone X) in the car. But I have an iPhone 12 and do not have any issues.

Interestingly, she also has issues with the Apple AirPlay (Bluesound Node 2i) for our basement, but I do not.

I told her to get a new phone, which I thought would fix both issues. But now I’m not sure.
Full or standard insulated glass? thermal glass is standard. I have zero reception issues - iPhone 12 as well (if that matters)
Sponsored

Reactions: B61