louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
This is silly. Today, my Nav has forgotten that it is attached to an Electric car.

Last time I drove it, the Navigation Search feature was happy to lead me to Charging Stations. Now that icon has been replaced by a Gas Station icon.

And all my previous destinations, my home/work settings all went away.

Maybe there was a (secret) update? If so, Porsche has something to learn about not erasing user data during an update.

UPDATE: This bug has been fixed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
This is silly. Today, my Nav has forgotten that it is attached to an Electric car.

Last time I drove it, the Navigation Search feature was happy to lead me to Charging Stations. Now that icon has been replaced by a Gas Station icon.

Maybe there was a (secret) update? If so, Porsche has something to learn about not erasing user data during an update.
Will take a some time for these car manufacturer to have the software catching up to the rest of the car. OTA unfortunately makes it MUCH worse for the user. You rather have a faulty software where you know the shortcomings, than an ever changing system where the faults become seemingly random.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
oddly, it partially fixed itself. Now all my data is back (home/work/favorites/previous destinations) but.., the car still thinks it uses Gas.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Maybe you have a gremlin in your frunk.....:)

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
On a more serious note Porsche DOES have to be very careful with how they separate the functionalities. Here Tesla has it “easy” since they only do EVs but the intelligence of the GPS at this fairly early stage in EV history is primordial since there are not enough charging stations out there and they are more than often not at gas stations and very little signage for them. So if the GPS does not take you there it will be close to impossible to do any trips farther than half your range....... this has been and apparently still is the absolute strength of Tesla. And if glitches like these for other manufacturers are not remedied quickly they will boost Tesla’s bottom line rather than their own ...... really quite disappointing and worrying........

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag

Well this is alarming. The Audi eTron dose this as well shows only gas stations on its GPS. Audi claim it’s so the driver and passengers can find rest areas and restrooms... because they where too cheep to write a new system. It is a big issue not writing and programming a new GPS navigation system from the ground up for a EV only vehicle. They can’t just edit the display the standard navigation system it needs to get to know the car and your driving pattern to learn how the best manage the cars power recharging needs. I really hope porsche did it right and this is just launch bug.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
On a more serious note Porsche DOES have to be very careful with how they separate the functionalities. Here Tesla has it “easy” since they only do EVs but the intelligence of the GPS at this fairly early stage in EV history is primordial since there are not enough charging stations out there and they are more than often not at gas stations and very little signage for them. So if the GPS does not take you there it will be close to impossible to do any trips farther than half your range.......
I see this much less alarming. Once there are enough EVs on the market (VW IDs), charging stations will pop up like mushrooms. The real disappointment so far is that plug and charge was not a mandatory requirement by German automakers. Massive shortcoming! Now we have silly charging cards and credit cards and what not. So yes, the charging network has a LONG way to go whereas the EVs like Taycan are almost (software) spot on. At the end, if you have a Taycan as DD and 11kW charging at home, you are set!

Last edited:
OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe you have a gremlin in your frunk.....:)
I'll check... could be. They follow me everywhere. I should stop feeding them. Maybe. But they are so cute.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On a more serious note Porsche DOES have to be very careful with how they separate the functionalities. Here Tesla has it “easy” since they only do EVs but the intelligence of the GPS at this fairly early stage in EV history is primordial since there are not enough charging stations out there and they are more than often not at gas stations and very little signage for them. So if the GPS does not take you there it will be close to impossible to do any trips farther than half your range....... this has been and apparently still is the absolute strength of Tesla. And if glitches like these for other manufacturers are not remedied quickly they will boost Tesla’s bottom line rather than their own ...... really quite disappointing and worrying........
I'm not worried. I've been on enough teams that I know what "early software" is like. It'll get better. It'll get fixed. Probably before most people take delivery.

It's very possible that I never should have been sold a car. They just weren't planning on being ready yet. But mine slipped through the cracks. (This is all speculation, no actual facts were used in this assumption) If that's the case, I can help. I can find all these little bugs in the software so they get fixed before most people get their cars. This could be a very good thing for Porsche.

I can help. This is what I spent 30 years doing... and why I can afford a Taycan. :)

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I see this much less alarming.
At end, if you have a Taycan as DD and 11kW charging at home, you are set!
Completely agree.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm not worried. I've been on enough teams that I know what "early software" is like. It'll get better. It'll get fixed. Probably before most people take delivery.

It's very possible that I never should have been sold a car. They just weren't planning on being ready yet. But mine slipped through the cracks. (This is all speculation, no actual facts were used in this assumption) If that's the case, I can help. I can find all these little bugs in the software so they get fixed before most people get their cars. This could be a very good thing for Porsche.

I can help. This is what I spent 30 years doing... and why I can afford a Taycan. :)
louv,

You should reach out to PAG_J1 here on this forum. He appears to be a Porsche insider that is directly involved in the program. He was very informative prior to the Taycan's launch, and I saw he reappear here this week after seemingly going away from here shortly after the September launch.

I have always wondered if the Product people at Porsche ever read any of these forums. Back in the day, I was any early adopter of the Cayenne, and we had a VERY active group over on R*nnl*st. Many of us found all kinds of gremlins (LED trailer lights and their impact on the towing module, Bi-Xenon lights, composition of the wiring look [back then EVERY wiring loom was unique and matched the delivere options!], etc...). I hope the Porsche AG product managers are NOT like so many of the tech company product managers who are so arrogant in their thinking (BTW, not trying to be offensive to anyone here who IS a Product Manager, just citing my own experiences as a CIO/head of a major US porate IT organization).

Toby

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
Louv

Thank you for the updates on your Taycan,

After I test drove the Taycan Turbo I spent a good half hour going through the OS as I had had some issue with the MMI on the Audi eTron and wanted to see what Porsche had done instantly I noticed some bugs and what looked like Demo mode or locked mode in some sub levels I discussed this with the dealer and he informed me the dealer issued cars where pre-launch cars "Demo Cars" and not fully initialized and per instructions from Porsche not available for sale until a predetermined future date and that Porsche told them upon final release the cars would receive an OTA update to finalize the car. I took what he had to say with a pinch of salt as I have found dealers to not be that well informed but based on your experience perhaps he was correct.

On the eTron there where many OS issue I was one of the first owners and had to deal with a lot of OS related issues primarily the cars inability to turn on and launch its OS correctly resulting in multiple warnings and system failures fortunately these could be fixed by ether rebooting the car or giving the car an hour to recalibrate. Since I own multiple EV I could just take a different car that day but it took months to get resolved. The Porsche Taycan OS seems to have a lot of similarities to the Audi eTron OS

I do not go along with giving legacy car makers an early adaptor mulligan card its not early days quite the opposite VW Group has had years to get this right and as a majority shareholder Porsche has no excuses with the Taycan they have dictated the time line from the beginning all be it following EU unit sales rules but having a controlling OS for a car is noting new to Porsche they better get it right and at 143k ( cost of my Taycan 4S) will not receive any room for error from me. They are big boys playing a big stakes game no excuses.

I have two level 2 chargers and a full solar system in my home so have zero issues with charging for daily use locally however I also worry about EA they have about 38 months to become profitable before the VW Diesel gate funds run out (a one time fine that created a fund) if they fail it will be a major misstep and perhaps catastrophic to EVs with regard to longer trips and main stream acceptance.
Sponsored