What's the point of the little flap that covers the lower part of the DC charging input?

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Don’t forget to wet the fingers first, or maybe stick your tongue in, like when I was a kid and tested 9V batteries that way. :headbang:

Last edited:

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
High voltage can spit an arc across an air gap and blow body parts off of you. EVs must incorporate some amazing failsafe systems to pass car safety regulations.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
High voltage can spit an arc across an air gap and blow body parts off of you. EVs must incorporate some amazing failsafe systems to pass car safety regulations.
why don't other manufacturers have this cover?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I don’t think 800VDC really needs a very large air gap. Plus the pins are recessed in their own holes.

Don’t get me wrong, hazardous voltage is no joke. I regularly work in a Cat2 arc flash suit. I just don’t think the air gap is relevant to the flap.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
in my opinion it’s there to piss me off…

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I don’t think 800VDC really needs a very large air gap. Plus the pins are recessed in their own holes.

Don’t get me wrong, hazardous voltage is no joke. I regularly work in a Cat2 arc flash suit. I just don’t think the air gap is relevant to the flap.
Oh, I agree that the flap doesn't have anything to do with protecting your fingers from electrical arcs. It's just that people were joking about touching the electrodes, wetting your fingers, etc. If the voltage actually remained present at the electrodes when not connected, it would be hazardous. It's likely that before the charging port can release the charger, the vehicle's high voltage is disconnected from the electrodes. And yeah, I looked it up, and the arc gap for 800v is just a tiny fraction of a millimeter.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Don’t forget to wet the fingers first, or maybe stick your tongue in, like when I was a kid and tested 9V batteries that way. :headbang:
This is your opportunity to upgrade from a 9V battery to an 800V one in terms of tongue tingling sensation.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
⚡Ouch… it would probably be akin to licking a thunderbolt ! ?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
IIRC It wasn't "Don't compete with Tesla" but rather "Don't use any patents against Tesla".
Not sure that makes it any more realistic / feasible, but the intent is clearly different (avoiding competition vs. trying to remove patents from the equation).

I can see both sides on that one: In Tesla's position, you don't want to give up your patents only for the competitor that's then using those patents to turn around and hassle you about a patent they hold (since among other things, cross-licensing seems to be a common way to settle patent disputes). In VW AG/other OEM's position, you can't reasonably say "I'll never go after you for a patent" either.

What isn't as clear: that was the public bid Tesla/Musk made - but were there any realistic options to negotiate something different based on that? (e.g., we'll use the Tesla connector, and we'll invest xxxM in the network, etc.)
from all the analysis I have seen it wasn’t just that, it was pretty much a planned poison pill. It was never a serious offer.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
from all the analysis I have seen it wasn’t just that, it was pretty much a planned poison pill. It was never a serious offer.
"Never ascribe to malice what can be sufficiently explained by incompetence".

Key to staying calm/zen in today's world. (assuming incompetence is more tolerable than malice :) )

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag

My eGolf had a cover for the DC charger and my eTron had one for the level 2 charger. Maybe it is a German thing?

Porsche Taycan What's the point of the little flap that covers the lower part of the DC charging input? maxresdefault

Porsche Taycan What's the point of the little flap that covers the lower part of the DC charging input? VW-e-Golf-charging-3cf98264

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Looks like the Nissan Leaf has charge covers too.

Porsche Taycan What's the point of the little flap that covers the lower part of the DC charging input? LEAF-CHAdeMO

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I had a MachE pull up next to me the other day, it has the same flap.
Too me it seems logical to have the cap....with long term use, not all users have garages and they have to design to the lowest common denominator. To me, that is the ability to use only the circle plug on both sides, outside, in the rain, sleet and snow for overnight lv2 charging. That is many many hours for things to go bad and seems like a nice feature to have the flap and keep it dry...no?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I had a MachE pull up next to me the other day, it has the same flap.
Too me it seems logical to have the cap....with long term use, not all users have garages and they have to design to the lowest common denominator. To me, that is the ability to use only the circle plug on both sides, outside, in the rain, sleet and snow for overnight lv2 charging. That is many many hours for things to go bad and seems like a nice feature to have the flap and keep it dry...no?
I don't use that side for AC charging, I rarely do L2 charging outside and if I did I would try to use the AC side. the only time I access the DC side is for DC charging.
so for me what you've described has no relevance.
Sponsored