My CT build - thoughts welcome!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Long time listener, first time...you know the drill.

Just got a build date for Oct 21 here in the UK but suffering analysis paralysis over a number of options. I love the Porsche style of options over 'packages' but it's not good for the chronically indecisive...

I probably don't need PTV or stonking great wheels but some sites give them the thumbs up so any advice from owners would be most welcome.

Aye, it's a dark car too but I like it that way. I love the other colours but I just love the DARK:

PNIM35S5
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIM35S5
Sponsored

Reactions: B61

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Really nice build, having obsessed over the configurator at least once a day (more at the weekend!) I have come up with countless different permutations.

Anyway as yet I have not got a build slot so plenty more time to carry on this obssesion!

For what it’s worth my observations:

1. With almost 25K of options I would be tempted to go Turbo
2. Surround View for parking seems to be heavily recommended here
3. HUD…the Taycan I test drove had this and it was ok but for me found I ended up ignoring it as it was more distracting than useful
4. I am definitely going with the Insulated Privacy Glass option. Road noise is more noticeable with electric vehicles so I would spec that over the separate privacy glass/windshield options.
5. Electric charge port IMHO a must

Adriansjo

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I would really recommend to upgrade to surround view instead of the reversing camera. Surround view is the item i really wished i had ticked of on my 4s.

also the upgraded Windows are prett nice to include.

but a really nice build you have there! Love the black details on the front and tail-light with the rims!

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
similar level of options as my 4S arriving this weekend. I considered turbo but prioritised creature comforts in the 4s over the performance of the turbo.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMUWKBE6

thoughts:
-100% the noise/insulation glass for reasons above
-matt black model designation, very personal choice, but I think matt black works better on black/dark grey cars, gloss on blue or lighter colours. Have matt black on my jet black metallic GT4 and looks great.
-roof rails in back, again a personal style choice
-I did not spec PTV+, not sure I'll be pushing such a barge that far on the road and I'll never have it on a track.
-HUD, with all the super crisp screens and the maps in the instrument binnacle I decided it is not needed
-I took the auto parking, it's great on my Audi when I need to park in a tight spot in town, parks like a pro, nothing worse than turning up in a +£100k car and kerbing an alloy
-ioniser if you have dogs (assuming you do with the partition net specced)
-electric charge port doors, smaller size vs manual doors and nice party trick on such a car.
-ambient lighting, lifts the interior feel

I regret not ordering the Porsche logo on front headrests

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nice spec. Hopefully you have seen the volcano grey and red leather in real life? I was convinced I would want the grey but when I saw it I felt far too dark (really almost a charcoal grey). I did test drive a silver with the red leather interior which certainly suits your location but was a little too bold for me. I wonder if the colour coded seat belts might be a too much red? If you really like the red I wonder if it is possible to colour-code the compass on the dash as a alternative?
I think with the HUD you adapt either way. I find I rarely look at the main display as the only info I generally need is my speed and the ACC speed setting.
I have the same wheels but if I was getting a CT would likely have chosen the CT Design wheels or stuck with the standard (in Aus) Taycan Turbo Aero Design. I agree with others in relation to the electric charge port and thicker glass - two options I would have loved to have.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Long time listener, first time...you know the drill.

Just got a build date for Oct 21 here in the UK but suffering analysis paralysis over a number of options. I love the Porsche style of options over 'packages' but it's not good for the chronically indecisive...

I probably don't need PTV or stonking great wheels but some sites give them the thumbs up so any advice from owners would be most welcome.

Aye, it's a dark car too but I like it that way. I love the other colours but I just love the DARK:

PNIM35S5
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIM35S5
Looks great (and I'm a fan of the colour). Some thoughts:

1. 22kW AC charger - expensive for what it is and not needed for home charging. Is there a specific reason to choose it?

2. Accent Package - it is already dark / black - perhaps not worth it?

3. 4+1 - centre seat isn't usable really, perhaps better as a 4 seater? Note that the rear seat won't look like the configurator and the centre will be all red (check first).

4. 360 Panoramic cameras a must.

5. Head-Up display - don't have it but wouldn't spec it - spoils a great view as it is, limited use

6. Preparation for cycle carrier - you never know when it would come in handy

7. Roof rails - when in black they blend into the roof and not really noticable. I didn't have on my Panamera Sport Turismo but will add to my Cross Turismo (or hopefully Sport Turismo by then).

8. Wheels - tricky one but not a fan of the ones you've selected (sorry). 21" will be more uncomfortable but I'm guessing you know that.

9. Powered charge port doors

10 Design pack adds even more plastic. Consider black inlays and no design pack.

11. PTV+ - not convinced you'd experience the benefit but will depend on style of driving.

12. Full colour coded door mirrors

13. Matrix lights - yes - why pay more for black - they are already dark?

14. Comfort Access - can be useful - opening boot with your foot (for example)

15. Heated steering wheel (a must)

16. Auto dimming exterior and interior mirrors (a must)

17. Red interior - bold choice but very personal. I went two tone black / crayon

Similar to yours - note roof rails - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/volcano-taycan-4s-cross-turismo-ct4s.5978/

Last edited:
OP
OP
What'sTaycanSoLong?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
This has been so useful, thanks to everyone who responded. I reckon collectively you've saved me about five grand and that includes adding in the insulated glass! No, I don't offer redunds but buy yourself a beer this weekend and tell yourself it's on me ?

Looking at all the data points I've gathered over the last few weeks it seems those gorgeous big wheels are a waste of money after all so that would be my recommendation to anyone else reading this thread - look at the cheaper, more efficient options. I agree that PTV is unnecessary too but the aesthetic choices are of course entirely subjective so if you see a grey/red CT cruising the highlands this autumn you'll know it's me...

Finally everywhere I look online the wisdom points towards heated steering as a "must", is there something I'm missing? I've been driving for thirty years and never suffered from a cold steering wheel issue ?

im85288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Finally everywhere I look online the wisdom points towards heated steering as a "must", is there something I'm missing? I've been driving for thirty years and never suffered from a cold steering wheel issue ?
Personally I do think the heated steering wheel (especially in our cold UK winters) is a must have option. I first had it on my BMW 435 XDrive and to be honest it was the first thing I turned on when getting into the car. It wasn’t an option on my Tesla model 3 and I really miss it. For the relatively small cost it’s one of those that I think once you’ve tried it you’ll not want to go back to those ice cold winter days with freezing hands on a cold steering wheel!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Personally I do think the heated steering wheel (especially in our cold UK winters) is a must have option. I first had it on my BMW 435 XDrive and to be honest it was the first thing I turned on when getting into the car. It wasn’t an option on my Tesla model 3 and I really miss it. For the relatively small cost it’s one of those that I think once you’ve tried it you’ll not want to go back to those ice cold winter days with freezing hands on a cold steering wheel!
Works with the preheat function too - nice and toasty on a winter's morn'

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@What'sTaycanSoLong? : I learned in this forum, that Off-road design package is just some plastic, so I’d skip it from my build, if I knew that before.
my salesguy told me thst it brings another 20mm in height, so little easier to get out for large (old) man like me…
He also sold me Heat-pump…apparently it’s good for battery (optimisation before charging, or something like that…)

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
3. 4+1 - centre seat isn't usable really, perhaps better as a 4 seater? Note that the rear seat won't look like the configurator and the centre will be all red (check first).
I think the main advantge of the 2+1 rear seat config is that it gives you 40/20/40 folding seats (instead of the standard 60/40). Having had that in some past cars (and lacking in my current car), it's something i found useful.

Reactions: B61

BROUbrou09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4S, Audi e-tron
Country flag
I think the main advantge of the 2+1 rear seat config is that it gives you 40/20/40 folding seats (instead of the standard 60/40). Having had that in some past cars (and lacking in my current car), it's something i found useful.
You can get that split just by adding the "ski bag" option (in the States at least). I didn't opt for it but considered it.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
You can get that split just by adding the "ski bag" option (in the States at least). I didn't opt for it but considered it.
2022 configurator no longer specifically states that the ski bag option includes 40:20:40 split. Oversight or change? Anyone checked this out with their dealer?

Update: My dealer checked this with Atlanta and they told him it is just a ski bag and does not include 40:20:40. I'm dubious, but locked in my Oct build last week without it. No big deal, but would have been nice to have the split seat for $250.

Last edited:

DirtRider

First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-tron, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Beautiful build! Lots of great comments added and the one I would empathize are roof rails in black. Aftermarket options suck, so factory order is the best way to fly. You can add crossbars and accessories later as needed... which you will! Think bike, box, surfboard (great waves in Scotland!) etc.). The black rails also look damn good too!

OP
OP
What'sTaycanSoLong?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Aye, I've gone back and forth on those roof rails. On, off, on, off. I think I probably do need them so thanks for the shove.

If anyone's interested I can post the final build but after submitting it to the 'ultimate authority' she surprised me by opting for ice grey metallic instead of volcano grey. I dunno, I hate the plastic wheel trims and think the darker colour hides them well but I do love that exclusive ice grey. If this was the saloon, no competition. But those trims...

Anyway, with the chip shortage I think my build date is likely to be October now so there's plenty of time for more indecision!
Sponsored