Innodrive : better than before ?

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi guys,

my dealer told me innodrive was improved on the Taycan and was « almost as same than the Tesla in Europe ».
I have a small doubt.:movember:

The latest video I saw of innodrive was a man who drove a Cayenne and innodrive was lost during a curve :surprised:

Have you ever seen a video of test of Innodrive on Taycan ?

If you have already taken delivery of your Taycan, what is your feeling ?
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well I don’t have much stick time, but it didn’t always hold the road. It touches the edge and comes back but doesn’t auto center like Tesla orJaguar. Now keep in mind I have not yet read or learned anything about all of its features, so this could be operator error. Also it wasn’t always seeing the road line markings.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well I don’t have much stick time, but it didn’t always hold the road. It touches the edge and comes back but doesn’t auto center like Tesla orJaguar. Now keep in mind I have not yet read or learned anything about all of its features, so this could be operator error. Also it wasn’t always seeing the road line markings.
If it doesn't center on lane then I think you are using LKA not Active Lane Keeping. See the Good to Know Porsche app for details. InnoDrive handles speed only, it doesn't steer. InnoDrive is quite sophisticated in handling speed by looking several miles ahead at train and deciding max speed to take corners etc.

OP
OP
BenJL

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for your reply !
I was pretty sure innodrive manages the steering wheel too.
are you sure from your side ?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for your reply !
I was pretty sure innodrive manages the steering wheel too.
are you sure from your side ?
I am pretty sure from the dozen videos I have seen and what I have read in Porsche manual that appears to only be available in USA right now, sorry. I have captured 3 screen shots of related systems. Note that there are dozens of pages and many warnings etc in the manual but here is the top of operating principal.

InnoDrive
Porsche Taycan Innodrive : better than before ? Screenshot_20200120-231544

Lane Keep Assist
Porsche Taycan Innodrive : better than before ? Screenshot_20200120-231718

Active Lane Keeping
Porsche Taycan Innodrive : better than before ? Screenshot_20200120-231338

OP
OP
BenJL

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's very weird !

On the international website, InnoDrive includes Active Lane Keeping.
Expansion of the adaptive cruise control by additional functions:
- Porsche InnoDrive offers [...]
- The Active Lane Keeping extends the adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping functionality on major inter-urban roads and motorways. The system follows the queue of traffic ahead and lane markings, within the limits of the system, and keeps the vehicle in the middle of the lane by continuous steering adjustments – even in congested conditions
- The Emergency Steer Assist can help the driver to steer the vehicle around an obstacle in a critical evasion maneuver
- The Intersection Assist can warn the driver (visually, audibly and with a jolt of the brakes) if crossing or oncoming road users are overlooked at an intersection

Note: all described functions are subject to system limits and require permanent monitoring of the driver
However, if I check the French website, I can see this :
- Assistance embouteillage : l’assistance embouteillage soulage en outre le conducteur dans les situations de circulation très denses sur les grandes routes nationales et les autoroutes. Elle dirige le véhicule par des interventions douces sur la direction et suit la file de véhicules roulant devant dans les limites du système. Pour ce faire, elle s’oriente sur les marquages de la chaussée et par rapport aux autres véhicules sur la voie.
In other terms, if I translate in English :
- Traffic jam assistance: Traffic jam assistance also relieves the driver in very dense traffic situations on major highways and motorways. It steers the vehicle with gentle steering interventions and follows the line of vehicles travelling in front within the limits of the system. It does this by orienting itself to the road markings and in relation to other vehicles in the lane.
In facts, the French Porsche website doesn't name exactly this feature like "the Active Lane Keeping" but it seems to do the same ...

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Building on Ron’s post, Innodrive includes both extending active lane keeping and jam assist.

jam assist is up to 37mph and active lane kicks in beyond that (is my understanding)

Traffic Jam Assist
One of the most convenient aspects of Porsche InnoDrive with Porsche Adaptive Cruise Control is Traffic Jam Assist. At speeds of up to 37 mph, this feature tracks other vehicle and roadway signs to; Feature highlights include:

• Keeping your vehicle centered in the lane through gentle steering inputs
  • Regulates distance from vehicles behind and in front of you
  • Follows the queue when system limitations allow

Lane Keeping Assist including traffic sign recognition and cornering notification

Lane Keeping Assist* is a camera-based system for automatic detection of divider line markings on the road. The system eases the burden on the driver by providing steering assistance, helping to keep the vehicle in lane.
Integrated traffic sign recognition uses a camera and navigation data to detect speed limits and ‘no overtaking’ zones and to infer local traffic codes (e.g. from boundary signs). Information is displayed in the instrument cluster. The advantage over information stored in the navigation database is that even temporary speed restrictions can be detected.

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@BenJL I must admit some confusion on where one system ends and the next begins. Thx for the post @Austin_yeahbaby I did also see that Traffic Jam assist as part of InnoDrive but only at speeds 0 to 37mph, where Active Lane Keeping supports speeds 0 to over 160mph as I recall.

Also to be clear Active Lane Keeping said it only works when ACC or InnoDrive is active.

I can state I am getting InnoDrive in my configuration.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
If it doesn't center on lane then I think you are using LKA not Active Lane Keeping. See the Good to Know Porsche app for details. InnoDrive handles speed only, it doesn't steer. InnoDrive is quite sophisticated in handling speed by looking several miles ahead at train and deciding max speed to take corners etc.
You were absolutely correct, I didn't have the setting enabled. I tried it today on a tricky road with weak markings and construction and it did very well. I would say as well as Tesla and much better than my Jaguar (but that is not a good comparison).

Abdullah

First Name
Abdullah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hello

In my understand and dealer told us

Active Line Keeping standart option

Inno Drive include steer, it write instruduction part
Die Aktive Spurführung erweitert Abstandsregelung und Spurhaltefunktion auf gut ausgebauten Landstraßen und auf Autobahnen. Das System orientiert sich innerhalb der Systemgrenzen an vorausfahrenden Verkehrsteilnehmern und Fahrbahnmarkierungen und hält das Fahrzeug durch kontinuierliche Lenkeingriffe mittig im Fahrstreifen – auch in Stausituationen

Active lane guidance extends the distance control and lane keeping function on well-developed country roads and on motorways. The system orients itself within the system boundaries on road users ahead and road markings and keeps the vehicle in the center of the lane through continuous steering intervention - even in traffic jams

Porsche Taycan Innodrive : better than before ? Screenshot_20200121-200638_Samsung Internet

Porsche Taycan Innodrive : better than before ? Screenshot_20200121-200541_Samsung Internet

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Hi @Abdullah ,

I think the standard option gives you lane keeping e.g it nudges you back in if you drift.

From my reading up on this, innodrive gives you an "active" lane assist which keeps you central in the lane.

In summary, I think the standard option is more of a nudge to keep you from drifting out of lane and innodrive brings a more sophisticated version that sled steers you whilst driving.

Greg Wyler’s tweet video shows inodrive in action but you notice the car asks for the driver to put his hands on the steering wheel at various points.

Abdullah

First Name
Abdullah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I give order with inno drive.It seems steer for inside line. I hope, Iwas right.. Now My car has got steer function.It is very important for me.In Traficc,It helps too much

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I am pretty sure from the dozen videos I have seen and what I have read in Porsche manual that appears to only be available in USA right now, sorry. I have captured 3 screen shots of related systems. Note that there are dozens of pages and many warnings etc in the manual but here is the top of operating principal.

InnoDrive
Screenshot_20200120-231544.png

Lane Keep Assist
Screenshot_20200120-231718.png

Active Lane Keeping
Screenshot_20200120-231338.png
Thanks for that Info! To be complete do you have doc on ACC, too?

InnoDrive was the missing part. Years ago I drove a BMW or Mercedes with ACC and Lane Assist in the Alps. Worked well until the first sharp turn came and the car in front disapeard behind a rock face. So the ACC accelerated into the turn! Scary moments...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@feye here is the first page of ACC
Porsche Taycan Innodrive : better than before ? Screenshot_20200121-202548

That does sound Scarry, but that's what ACC will do, it's InnoDrive that looks at topology and cartography to judge safe speeds in conjunction with feedback from abs system and rain sensing.

OP
OP
BenJL

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It’s a little bit weird because the description of innodrive is clearly not the same in France than in your countries.

I hope features are not restricted.
Sponsored