Need an alignment. Anything special about the Taycan's alignment / suspension to know about?

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
I need to have my alignment checked. Dealership is booked out 3 weeks. My local Indie that I take my GT4 to does not work on any electric cars at the moment.

Is there anything special about the alignment/suspension of this car that needs special attention/tools. Any mechanic should be able to handle a simple alignment right?
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I doubt it - but I think you have to disable the air suspension before jacking it up otherwise it can jump off the jack.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I doubt it - but I think you have to disable the air suspension before jacking it up otherwise it can jump off the jack.
@Gunner, here's the setting he's referring to. From the Drive menu, select "...", then Vehicle Settings, then Additional Chassis Settings. That brings you to Activate Car Jack Mode.
Porsche Taycan Need an alignment. Anything special about the Taycan's alignment / suspension to know about? Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 8.12.25 PM

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
The Panamera and Taycan share some similarities in this regard due to some shared and some modified components. My experience has been that it is best to have the dealership handle this for a few reasons. First unlike most cars the rear on these cars have one additional set of adjustment (toe? if I remember correctly). Second the ride height will have to be adjusted if the suspension geometry is changed, the only people who can do this are a select few Indies if they have a PIWIS and the dealership. This is important as the ride height is set to a very specific measurement for weight balancing, which is probably more important on this platform than others. Lastly the steering angle sensor has to be calibrated, which is a bench calibration and can only be completed again by a select few indie shops or the dealership. All of that is to say I wouldn't let any old mechanic near my Taycan or Panamera unless they have extensive experience on these specific vehicles.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I wouldn't let anyone but the Porsche dealer handle this for you for the reasons listed above.

Out of curiosity, do you have a problem that can't wait 3 weeks for a dealership appointment?

OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
The Panamera and Taycan share some similarities in this regard due to some shared and some modified components. My experience has been that it is best to have the dealership handle this for a few reasons. First unlike most cars the rear on these cars have one additional set of adjustment (toe? if I remember correctly). Second the ride height will have to be adjusted if the suspension geometry is changed, the only people who can do this are a select few Indies if they have a PIWIS and the dealership. This is important as the ride height is set to a very specific measurement for weight balancing, which is probably more important on this platform than others. Lastly the steering angle sensor has to be calibrated, which is a bench calibration and can only be completed again by a select few indie shops or the dealership. All of that is to say I wouldn't let any old mechanic near my Taycan or Panamera unless they have extensive experience on these specific vehicles.
Thanks for this! I figured there might be something like this, hence why I asked

I wouldn't let anyone but the Porsche dealer handle this for you for the reasons listed above.

Out of curiosity, do you have a problem that can't wait 3 weeks for a dealership appointment?
No so much time frame as convenience and laziness. The dealership is out of the way and it would be way easier to do it at a shop closer to my work.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No so much time frame as convenience and laziness. The dealership is out of the way and it would be way easier to do it at a shop closer to my work.
Ok, gotcha, although I guess I was wondering more why you think you need an alignment in the first place, if you don't mind sharing that info. If you've started to experience an alignment problem it might be something of interest to the group.

OP
OP

Gunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E63S
Country flag
Nothing major. Car pulls a little to the right and I feel the steering wheel is slightly cocked off of center.

My car was a demo so I think its more wear and tear and not some inherent issue with the car

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. Off center wheel really bugs me. Good luck with everything.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I read somewhere the rear toe adjustment needs a special wrench or else you have to repeatedly remove the wheel to make the toe adjustment. The front alignment is mainly toe. The front camber angle is only adjusted by moving the subframe - yikes. The rear camber can be adjusted supposedly. I have yet to cross the alignment bridge but have not been impressed by dealer alignment ( had one done with wrong alignment result ). Please keep us posted.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I read somewhere the rear toe adjustment needs a special wrench or else you have to repeatedly remove the wheel to make the toe adjustment. The front alignment is mainly toe. The front camber angle is only adjusted by moving the subframe - yikes. The rear camber can be adjusted supposedly. I have yet to cross the alignment bridge but have not been impressed by dealer alignment ( had one done with wrong alignment result ). Please keep us posted.
Just had alignment done on my 4 S with RAS. Toe was off slightly. Front tires worn out at 12,000 miles. $146 at local alignment shop.
Porsche Taycan Need an alignment. Anything special about the Taycan's alignment / suspension to know about? Taycan 4 S alignment 3 3 22001

Last edited:

Sampocketpc

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Any recommendations on where in NY to get the alignment done? I was quoted $1300 at the dealership from
Front alignment.

BurntToast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986 944 turbo and 2022 Taycan GTS (soon)
Country flag
Just had alignment done on my 4 S with RAS. Toe was off slightly. Front tires worn out at 12,000 miles. $146 at local alignment shop.
Taycan 4 S alignment 3 3 22001.jpg
Did you have to provide them with any guides or special instructions, or just assume they'd figure it out?

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No I didn't. This shop I've been using for many years. They just did the alignment with no drama. Unlike the dealer where I have actually had an aligned car put out of alignment. My theory is that when the steering wheel is pointed straight ahead the RAS is inactive.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
i have had the alignment done and witnessed it being done first hand. if your car needs correction it needs so many panels from the underside removed. it is quite labour intensive.
Sponsored