First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Good as is or bassakwards?

I understand why it’s the way it is (P-R-N-D-L), but does it make sense to flip a toggle forward to go backward & vice-versa?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Good as is or bassakwards?

I understand why it’s the way it is (P-R-N-D-L), but does it make sense to flip a toggle forward to go backward & vice-versa?
Uh…mine flips up and down, not forward and backward. You might want to take your car in for service. ?

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Uh…mine flips up and down, not forward and backward. You might want to take your car in for service. ?
Indeed. ?

Also, what's with P-R-N-D-L ? The toggle has three positions, R-N-D. P is a separate button on the right and there is no L.

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
So in an ICE, it’s always been P-R-N-D-L, which is why I’m assuming they chose R-N-D as the order of the control.

What’s being asked is if D-N-R is more intuitive, as currently you flip the lever up/forwards to go backward and down/to the rear to go forward.

On a column shifter/console you shift through R to get to D, but with this control there’s nothing to shift “through” (unless you count “virtually” shifting through N).

You may think it’s ridiculous, I think it’s a valid UI question. So far the poll says Porsche got it right, that’s the goal of the poll.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, what's with P-R-N-D-L ? The toggle has three positions, R-N-D. P is a separate button on the right and there is no L.
I think he’s just referencing standard ordering and the L is a low gear. He has the PND in bold, indicating it’s separate (i.e. he knows that’s all the Taycan has in the shift selection).

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What’s being asked is if D-N-R is more intuitive, as currently you flip the lever up/forwards to go backward and down/to the rear to go forward.
No. It’s not up/forward and down/to the rear.

It’s really just up and down.

You’re making (unnecessary…and incorrect) translations to “forward” and to the “rear”.

You’re rotating the orientation forward 90 deg on the x axis for no reason other than to make the control seem backwards and there’s no reason to do this.

Up is reverse.
Down is forward.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And to top it all off… D-N-R is left to right, not top to bottom or forward to backward.

It didn’t match anything and I honestly didn’t know the correct way to interpret the poll as I have to make some translation to do so and who knows if I’m making the same one you did when you wrote it; so I refrained from answering.

Reactions: Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Not so ridiculous in my view. If you recall, the original PDK center shift lever worked backward. Forward upshift - back to downshift. Porsche eventually changed it to work in reverse. It looks like they made the same mistake here.
What mistake?
What are you talking about?
There is no center shift, never been, never will.
It's no shifter for the gearbox, it doesn't even shift gears, it's an automatic my good man.
It's a selector for driving direction of the motors, nothing more.
There isn't even a reverse gear, it's just the motor that turns the other way.
It's a shifter which goes up and down, not fwd or bwd.
You may consider it more like a clutch: engaged (D and R) or disengaged (N).

Yes, it's a ridiculous poll.

Last edited:

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think he’s just referencing standard ordering and the L is a low gear. He has the PND in bold, indicating it’s separate (i.e. he knows that’s all the Taycan has in the shift selection).
So he's showing a generic PRNDL layout for a question about a car that has a shift position for neither P or L, bolding or not. Not sure why, but OK.

What's more curious is that no recent Porsche automatic that I'm familiar with, whether with torque converter or PDK, has an L range at all.

None of this is a big deal, it was just a tiny bit....odd.

Back to the original question. I don't see any problem with the way the drive toggle is programmed.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
First od all, I’d prefer P on the same “button” as RND.
also, this “shifting” button is the only thing in Taycan that I hated since the beginning.
especially, since P is separated (might be forgotten?).
then, I see up=D and down=R more logical as well…but according to this poll, I’m almost the only one….

Last thing: i’d prefer to have this shifting on the same place as traditional stick….

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What's more curious is that no recent Porsche automatic that I'm familiar with, whether with torque converter or PDK, has an L range at all.
I don’t think L is needed on cars that have other means of selecting the gear manually.

It’s also not always just L on cars. My first car (1990 Sunbird) had 2 and 1 after D.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t think L is needed on cars that have other means of selecting the gear manually.

It’s also not always just L on cars. My first car (1990 Sunbird) had 2 and 1 after D.
And in my first car, a 1961 Plymouth Belvedere, there were pushbuttons to the left of the instrument cluster for R -N-D-2-1 . No P. ;)

Anyway, I agree with both your comments. My point was not to question why Porsche didn't use an L or to suggest other layouts might not be completely different it was, again, why I thought it odd to include an L in the OP's example in the first place.