Direct charging mode stays on until you turn it off again?

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I used direct charging once. Thought it was a per-charging session thing. Next time I charged, I come back in a week to see the car charged at 100%. (1) PSA: turn direct charging back off after using it (2) What % of my battery capacity did I lose because I had my battery at 100% for a week?
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Yes that is a good point to emphasize its not a “one time” setting. You probably lost no capacity that you will notice, the charge to 100% is not a one time care item, it is something that if you did constantly for years you would notice. Its a longevity issue.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Likely no damage - issue relates to a full charging cycle (ver low SOC to 100% regularly) and not top-ups. Remember you have an 8 year battery warranty too - so all good - plus there is ~ 15% of the battery you can't get to which is hidden from view and used by the software management to provide protection (and uphold the warranty).

OP
OP
Tay Tay

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Likely no damage - issue relates to a full charging cycle (ver low SOC to 100% regularly) and not top-ups.
My understanding is that batteries degrade due to cycles AND due to keeping it at high state of charge. Here's the first link I found:

Strangely enough, batteries are under the most strain when they're fully charged or completely empty. The real sweet spot for a battery is 50 per cent charge as that means that half of its moveable lithium ions are in the lithium cobalt oxide layer and the other half are in the graphite layer. This equilibrium puts the least amount of strain on the battery, and extends the number of charge cycles it can withstand before degrading.​
So really, if you were super-keen on keeping your battery living as long as possible, you should keep its charge between 20 and 80 per cent. This means that it spends as little time as possible with lots of lithium ions crammed into either layer, a situation which causes the layers to expand, putting physical strain on them.​

Until now I've been super careful not to go to 100%. TBH I've never kept a car for that long so I'm probably causing a lot of trouble for myself just so the next owner reaps the benefits but I can't help it.

BTW, I might've just been imagining but the car felt faster at 100%.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You were not imagining it, there is more power in the high SOC ranges.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My understanding is that batteries degrade due to cycles AND due to keeping it at high state of charge. Here's the first link I found:

Strangely enough, batteries are under the most strain when they're fully charged or completely empty. The real sweet spot for a battery is 50 per cent charge as that means that half of its moveable lithium ions are in the lithium cobalt oxide layer and the other half are in the graphite layer. This equilibrium puts the least amount of strain on the battery, and extends the number of charge cycles it can withstand before degrading.​
So really, if you were super-keen on keeping your battery living as long as possible, you should keep its charge between 20 and 80 per cent. This means that it spends as little time as possible with lots of lithium ions crammed into either layer, a situation which causes the layers to expand, putting physical strain on them.​

Until now I've been super careful not to go to 100%. TBH I've never kept a car for that long so I'm probably causing a lot of trouble for myself just so the next owner reaps the benefits but I can't help it.

BTW, I might've just been imagining but the car felt faster at 100%.
That's correct but a cycle is 0% to 100© and not top ups.

Charging to 80% - 85% is recommended.

100% is fine if you plan to use on the same day and don't leave for days on end.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's correct but a cycle is 0% to 100© and not top ups.

Charging to 80% - 85% is recommended.

100% is fine if you plan to use on the same day and don't leave for days on end.
actually generally speaking ten cycles of 60 to 70% would be the same as one cycle. There are additional strains when charging up to 100% and draining down to empty but for aging cycle count the two are the same. Obviously shallow charges avoid the additional aging effects.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
actually generally speaking ten cycles of 60 to 70% would be the same as one cycle. There are additional strains when charging up to 100% and draining down to empty but for aging cycle count the two are the same. Obviously shallow charges avoid the additional aging effects.
You're probably right but I tend not to worry about it / overthink it given the 8 year warranty and retention of the vehicle will be 2 years (deliberate decision given the technical advances in shorter time periods).

I charge to 100% if I'm travelling more than 100 miles on that day - once a month / possibly twice - from a SOC of 55% (or thereabouts).

What I find odd is that if the car is at the dealers they'll charge it to somewhere in the 90s despite the guidance of 85% (or 80% depending on what you read).

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
What I find odd is that if the car is at the dealers they'll charge it to somewhere in the 90s despite the guidance of 85% (or 80% depending on what you read).
dealerships want to sell cars, they want to show the car with as much range as they can. they are more focused on sales than the health of the batteries.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You're probably right but I tend not to worry about it / overthink it given the 8 year warranty and retention of the vehicle will be 2 years (deliberate decision given the technical advances in shorter time periods).

I charge to 100% if I'm travelling more than 100 miles on that day - once a month / possibly twice - from a SOC of 55% (or thereabouts).
completely with you there, didn’t mean to make it sound that bad. My motto is use it when you need it, that’s why it’s there!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Funny, I am the opposite. I want to learn and see what the battery is made of. I always charge from very low to 100%, as if it was an ICE. The advantage is, that I only have less than 40 cycles for 18000 km.

Porsche Taycan Direct charging mode stays on until you turn it off again? 1641004311740

It also gives me a good idea about degradation, which also happens with age alone.

Porsche Taycan Direct charging mode stays on until you turn it off again? 1641004379579

Even if the battery has a 20% degradation, it still works fine for me - and after 5 years and about 150 cycles, not my problem anymore... ;)

Last edited: