To Taycan, or not Taycan? That is the question.

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
A Porsche has been an aspiration since I was a kid. And now there’s an electric, I can run it through my business so it finally makes financial sense.

I drove a 4s a couple of weeks ago and though it was insane - serious, licence-losing machine. But super-exciting and I drove like a lunatic. I tried the RWD yesterday, to see if could make sense as a day-to-day cruiser. And I think it does. It seemed happy to pootle about in, if the steering is a little heavy around town. But still, beautifully built, relatively quiet, excellent ride, precise steering.

I also drove the e-tron GT which was more laid back and practical, still insanely quick, but the interior isn’t as eventful as the Taycan’s. And given the GT and Taycan at my spec cost roughly the same, well, you’d have the Porsche, wouldn’t you? Then I’ve been driving e-tron 55s, too, which are lovely, quiet, practical and fun in a different way.

Of course only I can answer, but I’d appreciate your experiences - I’ve had a couple of Audi A8s and loved them, I’m now in a 5 Series hybrid and it’s a nice, comfy cruiser that doesn’t encrouage me to speed, all very sensible. I had an S4 Avant, which I drove too fast and the kids found uncomfortable in the back on long journeys.

I’m 50 next month - and the sensible head says be sensible and get something big, quiet and comfy to cart the kids to uni in. And I know I enjoy driving a comfy cruiser.
I’m 50 next month - and the kid wants to buy a Porsche, because, well, Porsche.

So, going Taycan, has it satisfied yiour aspirations?
Do you regret it in any way?
Or once you go Porsche, can you never go back (ie, just do it!)?
Sponsored

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Porsche has always had this incredible feel and presence about their cars. Audi, BMW, Mercedes can have a special feel as well (Audi R8 for example) but their closest equivalent will never be as good as Porsche.

The Taycan does an amazing job of having the Porsche feel and presence. It’s not quite the same level as a GT3 for example, but as a car that you can live with daily it’s remarkable.

I love Audi and current have an ETron 55 as well. It’s very nice but nothing like the Taycan. I haven’t driven a Etron GT but I’m pretty confident in saying that no matter how similar the specs might be, the Taycan will feel more special.

You only live once. If you love cars, lust after Porsches, and buying a Taycan won’t ruin you financially, what do you have to lose. You won’t regret it.

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
Porsche has always had this incredible feel and presence about their cars. Audi, BMW, Mercedes can have a special feel as well (Audi R8 for example) but their closest equivalent will never be as good as Porsche.

The Taycan does an amazing job of having the Porsche feel and presence. It’s not quite the same level as a GT3 for example, but as a car that you can live with daily it’s remarkable.

I love Audi and current have an ETron 55 as well. It’s very nice but nothing like the Taycan. I haven’t driven a Etron GT but I’m pretty confident in saying that no matter how similar the specs might be, the Taycan will feel more special.

You only live once. If you love cars, lust after Porsches, and buying a Taycan won’t ruin you financially, what do you have to lose. You won’t regret it.
Nicely put, thank you?

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I’m in a similar scenario to you. I got the RWD Taycan as I could run it through my business. With all the government incentives, now is the best time to get an electric Porsche.

Power Steering Plus makes the steering lighter, but still feel great when you’re winding through B-roads.

Taycan is one handsome son of a gun. No regrets.

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Just go for it :)

perhaps, cross turismo edition would be a better fit, as it’s more practical.

putting that aside, Taycan 4s should give you most bang for the buck

RobbieRed

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross tourismo
Country flag
I’m 50 like you - had a Macan diesel as my first Porsche but that doesn’t count. ?Moved to a more sensible (financially) Tiguan, but god it’s so boring. Meh. ??

Test drove the Taycan and laughed more than I have for years. Loved it, and wanted one but couldn’t justify as I have dogs, golf clubs, wife and daughter and their baggage to carry about.

Then the cross tourismo came out and that was it. Ordered in April, get it in mid Oct.

I think if you have a business in the U.K. then an electric car with the tax breaks is incredibly attractive - my spec is 100k, my accountant reckons I’m about £80 per month worse off driving the Taycan CT 4S versus the Tiguan. It’s all allowable against profits including charging point and you pay 1% BIK tax.
And yeah. It’s a Porsche.
There’s no decision to make - get the Porsche, have some fun. ??

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
The Taycan is insane. A Porsche is insane. If you can afford it, buy one. Really, every second driving this car puts a smile on my face. The driving experience is unlike any BMW, Audi or Mercedes.

Note: if it fits in the budget, go for the 4S. I have driven both and the 4S definitely hits the sweet spot. Certainly at speed the pick up is much better then the RWD. I’'m glad I have the 4S.

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
The Porsche Taycan would be a nice 50th birthday pressnt :)

You get a comfort, sportiness and prestige in one car :)
Nice summary, thanks?

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
Just go for it :)

perhaps, cross turismo edition would be a better fit, as it’s more practical.

putting that aside, Taycan 4s should give you most bang for the buck
The cross turismo would make sense, but unfortunately I’m not keen on the looks.

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
I think if you have a business in the U.K. then an electric car with the tax breaks is incredibly attractive - my spec is 100k, my accountant reckons I’m about £80 per month worse off driving the Taycan CT 4S versus the Tiguan. It’s all allowable against profits including charging point and you pay 1% BIK tax.
Yep, I have a UK business and it does make it very attractive. I’ve even worked out it would cost less to have a new £85k Taycan RWD, than a 1yr-old e-tron 55 launch edition with demo miles and all the toys, basically because of the 100% write-off in yr1!

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
The Taycan is insane. A Porsche is insane. If you can afford it, buy one. Really, every second driving this car puts a smile on my face. The driving experience is unlike any BMW, Audi or Mercedes.

Note: if it fits in the budget, go for the 4S. I have driven both and the 4S definitely hits the sweet spot. Certainly at speed the pick up is much better then the RWD. I’'m glad I have the 4S.
Yes the RWD felt quite different. The 4s was nuts, huge smile all the way. But I fear it would turn be ‘back’ into a maniac. Might sound odd, but I’m a better driver in a car that doesn’t ask to be thrashed all the time?

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
I think you need to be sensible. Definitely. And as you might expect, the advice here about what is sensible is to buy the Porsche. You posted the question in the right place ?
I was aware I’m asking the question to the converted?
Sponsored