To Taycan, or not Taycan? That is the question.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is this a trick question?

Porsche all the way!

I've got a now 6 week old 4S and it is as you descibe: insanely fun with terrific build quality, styling, handling and its super comfy to boot. Porsche also maintains its value better than almost any car in the world, so unquestionably it's the car you should get.

You have your marching orders!
Sponsored

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A Porsche has been an aspiration since I was a kid. And now there’s an electric, I can run it through my business so it finally makes financial sense.

I drove a 4s a couple of weeks ago and though it was insane - serious, licence-losing machine. But super-exciting and I drove like a lunatic. I tried the RWD yesterday, to see if could make sense as a day-to-day cruiser. And I think it does. It seemed happy to pootle about in, if the steering is a little heavy around town. But still, beautifully built, relatively quiet, excellent ride, precise steering.

I also drove the e-tron GT which was more laid back and practical, still insanely quick, but the interior isn’t as eventful as the Taycan’s. And given the GT and Taycan at my spec cost roughly the same, well, you’d have the Porsche, wouldn’t you? Then I’ve been driving e-tron 55s, too, which are lovely, quiet, practical and fun in a different way.

Of course only I can answer, but I’d appreciate your experiences - I’ve had a couple of Audi A8s and loved them, I’m now in a 5 Series hybrid and it’s a nice, comfy cruiser that doesn’t encrouage me to speed, all very sensible. I had an S4 Avant, which I drove too fast and the kids found uncomfortable in the back on long journeys.

I’m 50 next month - and the sensible head says be sensible and get something big, quiet and comfy to cart the kids to uni in. And I know I enjoy driving a comfy cruiser.
I’m 50 next month - and the kid wants to buy a Porsche, because, well, Porsche.

So, going Taycan, has it satisfied yiour aspirations?
Do you regret it in any way?
Or once you go Porsche, can you never go back (ie, just do it!)?
i’m tempted to suggest you test drive a 911 and consider if don’t want to check that bucket list item off and trade it in for a taycan in a few years. If the 911 is too small for the family, then maybe the other way around :)

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Slightly older than you and always wanted a Porsche......
Got my RWD 3 weeks ago.

Always had sports cars (Golf R / R32 / S3 / M2 etc) and was getting tired (too old!) for rock hard rides, loud exhausts and now want a bit more luxury and refinement.
Something to treat more like a GT car.
And Taycan fits the bill perfectly.

Last car was a BMW M2 and on the test drive the RWD Taycan felt faster in real world driving.
I know its a heavy car, so 0-60 not as relevant for me as overtaking speed.
Checked the stats and surprised to find the RWD Taycan is indeed faster on this measure (80-120 kmh) than my M2.

I also realised I never used the M2 on UK roads to anywhere near its full potential and I also never track cars.

I was also concerned about the weight (and size) after the M2 go-kart feel, so the RWD made more sense for me.
Slightly lighter and better steering (also more range) at the expense of more power and AWD with a 4S. We already have a 4WD BMW X2 in the household.

So I went for the RWD and used the saving to spec options.

I love the car.....ticks every box and costs buttons to run compared to petrol.

Porsche Taycan To Taycan, or not Taycan? That is the question. 20210807_105502

Last edited:

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think you need to be sensible. Definitely. And as you might expect, the advice here about what is sensible is to buy the Porsche. You posted the question in the right place ?
@wordsman, I'm 16 years younger than you, but if I've learnt anything from my time on this planet, it's that you should always get your sensible advice from someone you just met online called midlifecrisis. It's worked for me - I love my Taycan.

kl98cwg

First Name
DF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I went ahead with a 4S through my business because it was so financially advantageous. I’m of a similar age and have had various BMWs (5 & 3 series) but decided if I didn’t go for the Porsche now then I never would. The more I use this car the more I appreciate it, so absolutely no regrets - it is great to drive and so refined, but it does take a lot of restraint.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@wordsman : that’s not a question at all :rock:
(btw: I’ll be 60 in three weeks…hopefully TPMS will arrive sooner; CT arrived to my dealer last Thursday).

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
Porsche also maintains its value better than almost any car in the world, so unquestionably it's the car you should get.

You have your marching orders!
I love that, marching orders! And yes, the residuals seem excellent and make it less costly overal. My dealership recons £60k resale after 4 years. I’ll take that with a pinch of salt and assume £50k after faff and trade in. But still, it gives confidence.

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
i’m tempted to suggest you test drive a 911 and consider if don’t want to check that bucket list item off and trade it in for a taycan in a few years. If the 911 is too small for the family, then maybe the other way around :)
Definitely too small - we only run one car so it needs to do everything and my kids are teens and taller than me now?

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
Also, though the 911 has always been the ambition, I drove a friends a few years ago, slightly older on, and thought it was harsh, uncomfortable and noisy and just not as exciting as I expected. middle age must have set in early?

OP
OP

wordsman

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Country flag
Slightly older than you and always wanted a Porsche......
Got my RWD 3 weeks ago.

Always had sports cars (Golf R / R32 / S3 / M2 etc) and was getting tired (too old!) for rock hard rides, loud exhausts and now want a bit more luxury and refinement.
Something to treat more like a GT car.
And Taycan fits the bill perfectly.

Last car was a BMW M2 and on the test drive the RWD Taycan felt faster in real world driving.
I know its a heavy car, so 0-60 not as relevant for me as overtaking speed.
Checked the stats and surprised to find the RWD Taycan is indeed faster on this measure (80-120 kmh) than my M2.

I also realised I never used the M2 on UK roads to anywhere near its full potential and I also never track cars.

I was also concerned about the weight (and size) after the M2 go-kart feel, so the RWD made more sense for me.
Slightly lighter and better steering (also more range) at the expense of more power and AWD with a 4S. We already have a 4WD BMW X2 in the household.

So I went for the RWD and used the saving to spec options.

I love the car.....ticks every box and costs buttons to run compared to petrol.

20210807_105502.jpg
Great point you make. My last car was the S4 and it was a hoot on country roads. But I live in a city and literally have about 2 opportunities a year when I have no kids in the back, and an open country road to play with. Mostly I spend my life crawling around town in traffic, or crawling down the motorway in traffic.