SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
So some more random musings and observations as I get more "stick" time. Please keep in mind I have never owned a Porsche (so some behaviours are new to me) and still haven't even started looking at the manual (just looked up a few bits and pieces):

The good:
- I am starting to "get" the Porsche driving experience. Best I can describe it is "surgical."
- The InnoDrive is a gem and not pushed enough. I have used the Tesla "Auto Pilot" and with limited time I trust InnoDrive more and it handles most road conditions with ease. And is much smarter in how it drives behind cars and even through roundabouts.
- Again interior fit and finish and UI, specially at night with interior ambient lighting, amazing feel. This is very important to me, not too much bling, not too much (like some of the new Audis), just right.
- Great cupholder. Not for size, but for holding your mug while you do monumentally stupid things...

The "worse"
- The UI locks out too many things while driving. Ok I get it, safety. But some minor things are not available while moving, including setting the interior ambient brightness. I mean come on, I am supposed to stop on highway and adjust if interior is too bright?
- CarPlay also locks out picking artists and with Siris brain dead decisions this is a big problem. Other cars don't lock out CarPlay as much.

The "ugly"
- The Navigations has no integerated charging point selection! WTF! It does however have gas stations listed...I hope this gets remedied. Even CarPlay detects and electric car and replaces Gas with Charging Stations.

I just gave some of the employees at the BMW place a ride while explaining how BMW started with the I division and then threw away their entire lead in EVs...
Do you have the “Porsche Intelligent Range Manage” option I believe you need that to see EV charging locations on the basic navigation system
Sponsored

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
No I do not but again, I do not believe that is needed for Nav to have POI for chargers.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So again I only have light experience but I see no speed at which Inodrive "stops" steering. At times it will clearly say "driver intervention required" but most of the time it just works. I haven't yet tested to full stop and resume, Acceleration is Sport vs Sport+ is not different enough for reality, it has more kick but again past a point it is all just degrees of pain or "show tricks."

And keep in mind I do not know how a Turbo may behave.

Oh one more "ask again later"
- For the life of me I can not figure out the logic on the user settings on drive mode. Some settings "stick" when you change mode and some do not (they revert). Like recuperation always flips back to off. And some settings cross mode boundaries (like normal and sport) which is VERY confusing. I'll RTFM and then revise but just day to day this is a bit of the WTF stuff. If I have a settings, and I SET IT it should, you know STAY SET.

And I can not see the spoiler deploy just by visibility. And I want to see the the rear lights at night, I don't know what lights up! I desperately need to have a chase car streaming me video!
In the Audi the regen always rest to off every time your started the car or changed modes could not be set to always On

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No I do not but again, I do not believe that is needed for Nav to have POI for chargers.
On my eTron the navigation dose not show charging stations either I honestly believe the base navigation is the same across models not special to the Taycan hence the option

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was skimming the Porsche Good to Know app for navigation. The only example of finding charging was using Range Manager. But also here is a snapshot of the manual on map settings too. Hope it may be of some use. Thanks for all your feedback.
Porsche Taycan My Gentian Blue Turbo S delivered Screenshot_20200123-180558
Porsche Taycan My Gentian Blue Turbo S delivered Screenshot_20200123-181951

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe you guys but that is a big demerit if its really true and they don’t fix it. Any EV worth anything integrates live charge station data. I mean, range anxiety and usability are the most important hurdles. To not have charging station info unless its an option?

Really?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I believe you guys but that is a big demerit if its really true and they don’t fix it. Any EV worth anything integrates live charge station data. I mean, range anxiety and usability are the most important hurdles. To not have charging station info unless its an option?

Really?
wouldn’t they be getting all the Nav info from some third parties? Those third parities would need to update their maps and info.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As I said its a very common thing in every EV I have driven. It’s part of the “range to empty” and routing you to a charging point if you are not going to make it.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As I said its a very common thing in every EV I have driven. It’s part of the “range to empty” and routing you to a charging point if you are not going to make it.
I’ve only ever seen that on Tesla on my MS I have never had it on any other EV which has always annoyed me that they just don’t get the whole picture

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had it on the Leaf, on the i3, i8, and on the I Pace. The Bolt didn’t have built in Nav so it didn’t count.

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had it on the Leaf, on the i3, i8, and on the I Pace. The Bolt didn’t have built in Nav so it didn’t count.
Interesting I don’t have it on my i3S, or Kona and didn’t have it on the eGlof, eTron or 500e only my Tesla had it.

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
Strange, I had it on my 1st generation eGolf

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
I read earlier in this thread where someone asked about having the Range Monitor. This software should be standard and not a $300 option as this feature, if it does what it is supposed to do, is crucial and should be integrated into any EV. This is what seperates a car from a toy or compliance car.

This Taycan that I have ordered and expecting delivery in the May/June timeframe (has been pushed back at least 3x due to, what I have heard from reliable sources in Germany, are software and integration problems for all Porsche Taycans) is the most I have spent on any car, because it is a Porsche and I believe (Hope) they will do this right.

To have an EV show on the screen where the nearest gas station is tells me they really don’t have their act together yet. How does any logically thinking person not complain about this function on an EV? They are still thinking like an ICE Manufacturer and this is a concern that even Diess, CEO of Volkswagen, has. Here is a direct quote from a very recent speech Diess made about their focus on EV’s:

Porsche Taycan My Gentian Blue Turbo S delivered 1579844652474

The point in posting this is that I have been on this forum since mid last year as a “car guy” and Porsche guy having tracked many of my cars, love cars, and love fast cars that communicate as you are one with your car on the track and know that Porsche does this better than almost every other car manufacturer, but realize that electric (EV) are the future. And I am hoping that Porsche can take their DNA and make it into an EV. But, the Tesla’s I have, have been on a higher paradigm than any other car I have owned...they get it! They got all of the right stuff integrated. Maybe it helps that they have vertically integrated almost every one of their processes and not getting parts from 50 different suppliers and none of the suppliers are talking to each other, thus making software and hardware integration much harder as the different parts are not “talking” to each other.

But, when I talk about Tesla and their technology lead on this forum, with no disrespect to Porsche, I am considered a “fanboy” as many say that this is a Porsche and you drive it like a Porsche so range should not matter. Range should not matter if you consider this Taycan as a toy and not as a daily driver. I am guessing that most of us on this forum have more than one car, so for long trips, you could take another car. But, even if I have other cars, I still want to drive my Porsche and if I can’t make it to the next charger and continue my drive because I love driving, than this becomes a very expensive toy for very short usage. Porsche and VW are still working on their charging stations, but this should have been done well before their cars have come out. I have heard stories, not only on this forum but other EV forums where a Taycan has pulled into a charging station and either they could not make the charger hook up, or it clicked off before they got any realistic charge, etc. these are hardware and software issues and VW/Porsche has had at least 10 years to work on this as VW has been stating they will be coming out with competitive EV’s to Tesla since 2011/2012. Just look at their ID cars, the VW EV that is supposed to compete with the Model 3. They have been pushed back now 2-3 times and now might not be ready for prime time till 2021.

I hope Porsche/VW figures this all out, and they have had time and resources to do it as the 2nd largest, sorry, now the 3rd largest car manufacturer in the world.

looking forward to my Taycan when it arrives, sometime in 2020!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Really?
It must be a basic feature in an EV. Rapid charging stations are far and few in between. There must be some features missing in the nav system in the Taycan.
I thought the car would automatically start to precondition the car on its way to HPC? If the nav system does not see it, that will clearly not happen.
I get flashbacks of my first Cayenne Turbo when that was launched. Lots of software issues and that was a dumb car in today’s generation.

Reactions: SHN

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
- The InnoDrive is a gem and not pushed enough. I have used the Tesla "Auto Pilot" and with limited time I trust InnoDrive more and it handles most road conditions with ease. And is much smarter in how it drives behind cars and even through roundabouts.
InnoDrive can handle roundabouts? That would be amazing! Would love to see a video on that...
Sponsored