DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
I’m afraid you’re right. Trump is a moron and he will certainly seize on this issue. He claims buying Porsche’s and MB is a threat to National Security. We’re living in Alice’s Wonderland here in the US
And it goes deeper than that. The prediction is a 50% drop in sales for German makers and an overall loss of 350000 auto related jobs. In other words another Trump cluster****
Sponsored

Reactions: Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alfa 4C
Country flag
Essentially

Yep......918 as well as i8 Bimmer.......there are more.
It takes guts and commitment to the core idea that you pay your Design Dept for.
By the end of 2017 this became a sell-out to go after the EV market........not build a truly next-gen Pcar.
All had compromises made and started from a more "realistic" form in terms of practicality, safety etc. I think something like the latest Toyota Supra struck a good balance in terms of pure design when looking at the FT-1 concept compared to the revealed vehicle. I'm hoping for something similar (retaining the same design language while toning down the more extreme features of the concept) for the Taycan.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
After seeing these pictures I am ripping up my reservation paperwork. This version does not come even close to the concept IMO. It’s a shorter version of the Panamera ( minus the power plant, of course). Looks average at best. I’d pay $125k all day for something close to the
Concept car! Very disappointed.
I too am disappointed with this vehicle vs the concept Mission E. But I have been waiting since 2015 when the concept came out so I guess waiting a year longer is no big deal. While I had a deposit in almost as soon as it was announced last year, I am going to wait to see the actual finished product before I put in my order. Pretty much everything is up in the air from the buyer’s perspective - exterior colors, interior materials & layout, mirrors vs cameras, wheels, various models or levels of trim. Will the top models be introduced first or base models etc . I have heard there will be 3 levels of trim having different performance and battery range.

I find it hard to maintain as much enthusiasm as I originally had when I see the teaser pictures which seem to be dumbed down considerably. IMO

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All had compromises made and started from a more "realistic" form in terms of practicality, safety etc. I think something like the latest Toyota Supra struck a good balance in terms of pure design when looking at the FT-1 concept compared to the revealed vehicle. I'm hoping for something similar (retaining the same design language while toning down the more extreme features of the concept) for the Taycan.
Hmmm I was way disappointed in the production version of the Toyota Supra vs the concept. Not that I am a Toyota buyer in anyevent but I did like the concept. But with Toyota I was certain the concept would never be close to the production version for a variety of reasons. But with Porsche I had much higher expetations and still have hopes the production version or the highest level of trim is close to the Mission E.

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hmmm I was way disappointed in the production version of the Toyota Supra vs the concept. Not that I am a Toyota buyer in anyevent but I did like the concept. But with Toyota I was certain the concept would never be close to the production version for a variety of reasons. But with Porsche I had much higher expetations and still have hopes the production version or the highest level of trim is close to the Mission E.
Any examples of which production cars that you feel stuck extremely closely to the concept version? I'm hard pressed to think of any that have.

M.K.

2017 911 GTS
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan GTS
Country flag
Porsche 918 concept?
Good example, but 918 is also a cost-is-no-object hypercar. When it comes to standard production models like the Taycan, Porsche has to be more concerned about pricing, which inevitably affects design (i.e. watering down from concept).

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
Good example, but 918 is also a cost-is-no-object hypercar. When it comes to standard production models like the Taycan, Porsche has to be more concerned about pricing, which inevitably affects design (i.e. watering down from concept).
Yeah, but Porsche can afford to charge at least £74,000 for the Taycan. Besides, I wouldn't imagine it would cost much more to sell a car with a low roofline/ride height, the 1.3m high Porsche 911 is £77,000 so porsche could definitely keep a low roofline

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any examples of which production cars that you feel stuck extremely closely to the concept version? I'm hard pressed to think of any that have.
Well I thought the Camero concept was fairly close to the production version. I though about getting one back then but didn’t want to see myself coming and going, as I knew the production numbers would be huge. I tend to keep cars awhile so a large volume edition was a put off for me.

PAG_J1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No information
Country flag
Will the top models be introduced first or base models etc . I have heard there will be 3 levels of trim having different performance and battery range.
Normal Porsche cyclus is middle then base and then top model introduction.
On long terme there will be more than just these 3 variants...

Different battery range could be an option, but I don't know the current situation about that topic.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If the production model is eye pleasing to me, I would rather get all the bells & whistles top of the line vehicle with my pension for keeping cars rather than a middle or base version. If not eye pleasing I will likely wait you increased efficiencies which I expect in a couple of years.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alfa 4C
Country flag
Well I thought the Camero concept was fairly close to the production version. I though about getting one back then but didn’t want to see myself coming and going, as I knew the production numbers would be huge. I tend to keep cars awhile so a large volume edition was a put off for me.
Case in point, that's also part of the reason the Camaro in production form is largely criticized for its lack of practicality (visibility) and its cartoonish hot wheels like design. I'm not saying the Mission E isn't beautiful (much more so than the Camaro concept) but as a concept it shares some of the unrealistic design features that I think would lead to similar criticism if built as is, not to mention the price would probably be outrageous.

Fanatical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-Type
Country flag
Would the type of brakes (steel vs ceramic) affect the efficiency of brake regeneration at all?
Brake type doesn't affect regenerative braking, which uses the car's electric motors to reduce vehicle speed. Effectively they're being used as generators recapturing energy from the friction and resistance forces from the drive shaft turning the wheels when letting off the gas pedal.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Frank the tank, Well if practically was the main issue of building a “super car” then none would be built. If my major interest was along those lines I would just buy an econo box like the Leaf or Prius. Buyers of Porsches, Ferraris Lamos are looking looking for styling with performance. The BMW I8 looked good but had little in the way of performance, so was not much of a success in the market place. IMO
Sponsored