Taycan Newbie Questions

taycangift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Long Range, Lexus Rx, Lexus GX
Country flag
Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
I'm surprising my wife with a Taycan so I can't be too detailed or give out too much info in case she stumbles upon this post!
I've put down a deposit and have an allocation for a Carmine red Taycan rwd for mid-November 2021. I have until mid-September to make my final choices.

I'm stuck on a few options and wondering if you experts could give me some guidance and all around advice.

I've picked the 20" Turbo Aero wheels, but thinking of changing to the 20" Sport Aero wheels. For those that have either of these wheels, do you like them? Are there a lot of plastic on the wheels?
Another alternative is to choose 19" Taycan Aero (free option base wheels/tires) sell them and buy aftermarket wheels/tires. Thoughts from anyone who has done this? I can't imagine the weight makes a huge difference since the 21" wheels seem all alloy and no plastic.

I've chosen the premium package with the power mirrors, surround view, glass roof, bose stereo, PDLS+ (lighting system), ventilated seats front, 14 way seats, lane change assist.
Are the ventilated seats the same as cooled seats? Does that come with heated seats or is that an additional option?

What exactly is the lane change assist LCA? How is it different from ACC?

For the interior, I've chosen the standard interior in black/partial leather. The other option I like is the standard black/limestone beige. Any folks out there have strong feelings on these? Is it worth it to upgrade to the full leather option?

We also have a Model 3 and love the screen. How does the Taycan screen compare to the Model 3 screen and overall ease of use? Does the Taycan have cellular service and allow you to separately use Spotify/Netflix/etc or does it have to mirror your iphone/android?

For those that also own a Tesla, what features are better or worse? How does the Taycan app compare to Tesla app?
Can you remote control the climate from the app?

For those of you who have the Carmine red, how does the color look in person?

Any pics or real world advice (good or bad!) would really help me narrow down and finalize the details!

I know it's a lot of questions, but I want to get it right and trust you folks!
Thanks again, TaycanGift
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Hello all,

I'm surprising my wife with a Taycan so I can't be too detailed or give out too much info in case she stumbles upon this post!
I've put down a deposit and have an allocation for a Carmine red Taycan rwd for mid-November 2021. I have until mid-September to make my final choices.

I'm stuck on a few options and wondering if you experts could give me some guidance and all around advice.

I've picked the 20" Turbo Aero wheels, but thinking of changing to the 20" Sport Aero wheels. For those that have either of these wheels, do you like them? Are there a lot of plastic on the wheels?
Another alternative is to choose 19" Taycan Aero (free option base wheels/tires) sell them and buy aftermarket wheels/tires. Thoughts from anyone who has done this? I can't imagine the weight makes a huge difference since the 21" wheels seem all alloy and no plastic.

I've chosen the premium package with the power mirrors, surround view, glass roof, bose stereo, PDLS+ (lighting system), ventilated seats front, 14 way seats, lane change assist.
Are the ventilated seats the same as cooled seats? Does that come with heated seats or is that an additional option?

For the interior, I've chosen the standard interior in black/partial leather. The other option I like is the standard black/limestone beige. Any folks out there have strong feelings on these? Is it worth it to upgrade to the full leather option?

We also have a Model 3 and love the screen. How does the Taycan screen compare to the Model 3 screen and overall ease of use? Does the Taycan have cellular service and allow you to separately use Spotify/Netflix/etc or does it have to mirror your iphone/android?

For those that also own a Tesla, what features are better or worse? How does the Taycan app compare to Tesla app?

Any pics or real world advice (good or bad!) would really help me narrow down and finalize the details!

Thanks again, TaycanGift
vent seats blow cabin air around through small holes in the seat - it tends to be cool
heated seats are standard I believe - check the standard equipment list on porsche’s site
LCA assist is a visual blind spot indicator
full lether in a porsche is a great thing
no comparision to the Model 3 - software is worse, and has AppleMusic not spotify, no Netflix etc - Taycan is a much better vehicle - software is acceptable but not Tesla quality.
tesla vs. taycan - honda vs. bmw - hard to compare
yes you can do climate from the app
Carmine red is great in person

you’ll love it.

Reactions: B61

Nik1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hello all,

Thanks again, TaycanGift
I have the turbo aero wheels and prefer them to the sport aero wheels. More character and excellent build. Doesn’t feel like plastic at all.

ventilated Sears should have cooling and heating functions however it depends on the region you are in.

I have the partial leather black and beige interior and am happy with it. Beige doesn’t show cracks and wear as much and is also easy to maintain.

LCA helps you with blind spot warnings. It does have other functions too which detect vehicles behind your car and can activate the hazard lights to warn them to avoid rear end collisions.

I got my car in metallic black. It’s a beauty when it’s clean but I must say it picks up dirt and dust very easily. I love the new crayon and Neptune blue colours. Black however does merge perfectly with the plastic trims on the front lip, side skirts and rear. If you do choose another colour besides black, do consider painting these parts in body colour.
Good luck??

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello all,

Thanks again, TaycanGift
I've got the 20” Turbo Aero wheels and they're terrific with no plastic whatsoever. I also have the base interior in black/limestone beige and to my eye it looks very premium (my wife loves it, by the way). Seating heating is an option though, but I do love the seat ventilation.

Premium Package is a must! LCA is simply lights on the mirrors, pretty handy but nothing you haven't seen before. ACC is adaptive cruise control and has nothing to do with LCA. Also, the Taycan uses Apple Music or Apple CarPlay. Spotify is accessed via CarPlay.

As for your Tesla questions, I came from a Model S and to be honest, Tesla’s software is more intuitive--the Taycan’s technology is going to take some getting used to. As for the app, Porsche’s Connect app is pretty barebones and lacking in functionality. It's not nearly as comprehensive or as easy to use as Tesla’s app but you can precondition the Taycan via the app (when it works).

As you have a Model 3, your existing Tesla charger will work flawlessly with the Taycan if you spend about $250 on a TeslaTap adapter. Search the forum to learn more about that.

Bottom line, the Taycan is simply a significantly better car by any metric. It has better fit and finish, better styling, is more comfortable to drive and a hell of a lot more fun. I couldn't be happier with the car.

In the five years I had my Model S my wife literally never drove it a single time, not one inch. It simply didn't interest her on any level. The Taycan however is a different beast and she loves driving it and tells me repeatedly how much she enjoys it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

taycangift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you all for the great info! If changing the color on some of the plastic for a Carmine Red car, which plastic parts would you color match?
Also does anyone know if changing to aftermarket wheels changes the warranty in the U.S.?

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
If the car is truly for your wife (and not you ?), add the massage seats to the package. You will win additional points.

THAICAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4S / MG ZS EV
Country flag
Hello all,

Thanks again, TaycanGift
Hello!

When choosing my wheels, I did not particularly like the look (in photographs) of any of the ones on offer, except the really expensive ones! And they're all much more expensive here in Thailand - $4,891 for the Sport Aero option (only $2770 in the USA.)

Anyway, I finally chose the Sport Aero but was very nervous about it. When the car arrived, I was very happy with the wheels. They look so much better in real life and I love them! Lots of compliments.

No plastic on them.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Thank you all for the great info! If changing the color on some of the plastic for a Carmine Red car, which plastic parts would you color match?
Also does anyone know if changing to aftermarket wheels changes the warranty in the U.S.?
Can you describe what plastic parts parts you are referring to? Do you mean the side skirts that are in plastic?

OP
OP

taycangift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you describe what plastic parts parts you are referring to? Do you mean the side skirts that are in plastic?
Nik1 mentioned painting the black plastic side skirts and front and rear skirt areas to match the paint color. If the car is black, no need to paint those pieces since they come standard black.
However I don't see an option to paint side/front/rear skirts?

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Nik1 mentioned painting the black plastic side skirts and front and rear skirt areas to match the paint color. If the car is black, no need to paint those pieces since they come standard black.
However I don't see an option to paint side/front/rear skirts?
If you look up the SportDesign Side Skirts, you can get them painted with a strip of the color for $1,030, not worth it in IMO. I circled them in the picture below

The color coded front lip and rear by the defuser are exclusive the Turbo

Porsche Taycan Taycan Newbie Questions 60c16010082543dba3be3bbf950d3ec1
Porsche Taycan Taycan Newbie Questions 3b6ad9ef51bf55918bb1cdb8fc917dcc

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
CarPlay is way better than having built-in Spotify, etc. For Waze if no other reason.

Your dealer should be able to show you wheels on cars in person. For all sorts of options questions, I'd hope your dealer could show you cars with some of those things so you can see.

If you really have a lock date in Sep, I wish you good luck for a Nov delivery. :p
Sponsored