Taycan Turbo S vs. Model S Plaid - really by this much!?

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Looks like someone took their Plaid to the track.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-corsa-plaid-laguna-seca-update-8-1-21.235727/

• Brakes. I tried my very hardest to lay off the brakes as much as I could and I still got the system is hot warning on the dash within a couple laps. I mean I really tried too. In the end I only did two sessions because the guys at Unplugged warned me that the pads will wear out very quickly and then I'd be up the creek. They even took a look and said they were more than 1/2 gone. The car needs brakes to go to the track, period.

They imply issues with cooling in particular. Add cooling ducts for brakes and you lose efficiency and range.
Sponsored

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
Half of your brakes gone in a 'couple of sessions'.....that is going to be a major problem for those that like to get heavy on the volts on the street and need to slow down for the upcoming corner, school crossing, light or stop sign.
One would think that if you put 1000hp on a car, your immediate second focus would be on how to stop it, reliably, over time and without having to replace pads at the end of every 'track session', or every weekend out on the hills of California.
I expect to (unfortunately) see a lot of accidents from the Plaid; not only due to the other reasons mentioned of putting drivers who have never taken an emergency driving or track training course behind the wheel, but now due to completely under-engineered braking system on a extremely fast and heavy car.
This is a recipe for disaster and honestly I am not even worrying about basing Tesla, I am most concerned about the pure safety of those purchasing one and the misplaced confidence that they are the 'king of the road', only to be humbled in realizing that they are the king of acceleration with Nissan leaf braking system....yikes:oops:

Bill4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo ; CT4S ordered
Country flag
it must be horrible to be stuck in traffic with a tesla.

Last edited:

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
P.S. My dealer told me if I track the Huracan I'll lose my warranty and even with the carbon ceramics brake fade is common.
wtf ? I think you need a new lambo dealer. Sounds bullshit. If that’s true about the warranty, then I just freed up a slot on the bucket list.

have you considered … any other supercar manufacturer ?

JustLooking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Huracan, M2, R1 (+ Emira, CyberTruck)
Country flag
I considered the Model S Plaid and really respect the performance they have achieved but I just could not get past that Yoke Steering Wheel and secondary controls like the turn signals and the shifter being touch screen functions or capacitive buttons. I'd probably adjust to it but it seems like stupid things to have to adjust to as a grumpy middle aged man.

A second thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on the Model S is that it now looks pretty ho hum in a world where you see three Model 3s and 2 Model S's at every stoplight here in the northern suburbs of Dallas. It is fundamentally a decent looking car but they have not moved the styling game on at all since the Model S was introduced.

But the real decision factor that got me is that the Taycan immediately felt right when I drove it--as James May says it gave me "a fizz" and the Tesla didn't.
Fair point, that's the one thing I don't like about the Tesla's... they're literally everywhere. Drove by a Taycan 4S today and it looked so nice, too bad I can't get past a few things Tesla just does better (for me). Oh and in the same stretch I drove by at least 20+ various Tesla's.

So new rotors and pads? The pictures from the car look like new calipers as well.

Untitled.png
Looks like you might be right, I retract my post.

That's great your Lamborghini dealer said you lose your warranty. Doesn't mean that a Porsche can't handle a track day with stock rotors and pads.
I guess it all depends on the track and how fast you're going. These are fun things to argue about, but in the end, to be honest, I don't care. Most consumers have never been on a track and won't go. I'd personally never track an electric car... it doesn't do it for me. Don't care how fast, for me: electric for the street, ICE for track.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-s-plaid-faster-than-porsche-taycan-turbo-s-2021-8

I can’t see myself ever leaving the ultimate refinement of Porsche for a car that feels like a Kia with a lot of power (test drove Model 3, S, X all felt like I went back 15 years in quality)… but yikes this is almost embarrassing!
I think straight line acceleration being used to define fast is a uniquely North American thing.
I always think of fast in a lap time fast sense.
I suppose it is due to the different roads. The US has modern wide but straight roads whith gazzilions of traffic lights so a sort of drag race culture has naturally evolved.
Here in the UK and the rest of Europe a lot of the roads are twisty and there aren't that many traffic lights so our, or at least my as a person who has worked with fast cars as a profession for a whole career, definition of fast includes handling and braking but not acceleration from zero at all. I am 71 and have literally never tried accelerating from a standstill in a straight line in any of the fast cars I have owned - ever.

So I find such a massively narrow definition of fast to be completely uninformative to make any judgement about any car.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Looks like someone took their Plaid to the track.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-corsa-plaid-laguna-seca-update-8-1-21.235727/

• Brakes. I tried my very hardest to lay off the brakes as much as I could and I still got the system is hot warning on the dash within a couple laps. I mean I really tried too. In the end I only did two sessions because the guys at Unplugged warned me that the pads will wear out very quickly and then I'd be up the creek. They even took a look and said they were more than 1/2 gone. The car needs brakes to go to the track, period.

They imply issues with cooling in particular. Add cooling ducts for brakes and you lose efficiency and range.
I took my Turbo S to Silverstone GP circuit the other day. The instructor I was with (who was excellent by the way), had never been in a Taycan at speed on a track. We were following a Ferrari down the Hangar straight at over 140 mph and he warned me not to follow too closely to him as his brakes may be better than mine. I complied but we get to the end of the straight and I brake. He needn't have worried as the ceramics stopped us easily with room to spare. And they kept on going lap after lap with no brake fade and no excessive heat.

They are what a car like the Plaid needs but doesn't have.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
wtf ? I think you need a new lambo dealer. Sounds bullshit. If that’s true about the warranty, then I just freed up a slot on the bucket list.

have you considered … any other supercar manufacturer ?
I do think it depends on the driver.
Only the tiniest number of cars, be they supercars or any other are designed or built for numerous on the limit laps by a skilled driver.
Maybe the sportiest Porsches and Ferraris because of their racing heritage (but even then probably not).
I worked in racing all my career and remember Michael Schumacher when he first started getting a bigger salary had a go in all the supercars and the one he bought was the Bugatti EB110 which he found to be the best of them.
He was really proud of it and brought it to our next test at the Paul Ricard circuit (I was chief engineer of Benetton F1 at the time).
In one of the long breaks in running for a big car change he decided to do a few laps in his new Bugatti for fun and took one of the Cosworth mechanics.
He had brake failure and heavily crashed the car after not that many laps, and that was before they changed to making >2ton 2 seat limos for millionaires. The EB110 was relatively light.

ORZOWEI

First Name
ORZO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X P100D - Taycan Turbo S (2021)
Country flag
Why does that sound better? ?
Because both brands together are better than only one... You can get the best of both worlds, ? Porsche & Tesla ?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Because both brands together are better than only one... You can get the best of both worlds, ? Porsche & Tesla ?
No, defenately not.
A Tesla is not a dream car.
A Porsche is.
Ask anyone: "what would you love to own: a Tesla or a Porsche?".
I'll wait...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
No, defenately not.
A Tesla is not a dream car.
A Porsche is.
Ask anyone: "what would you love to own: a Tesla or a Porsche?".
I'll wait...
response will depend on the age of the responder - I‘ve asked this question - and several times the younger they are the more likley the response is Tesla…

the world is not as you view it.

like it or not Tesla is perceived as an aspirational brand right up there with Porsche

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
response will depend on the age of the responder - I‘ve asked this question - and several times the younger they are the more likley the response is Tesla…

the world is not as you view it.

like it or not Tesla is perceived as an aspirational brand right up there with Porsche
Agreed. My 20 year old Nephew was chatting with my brother about his Ferrari 458, and he didn't understand why my brother wanted a Ferrari over a Model S P100D (the Plaid didn't exist at the time). A lot of younger individuals don't care about the cars we dreamed of as kids. Technology trumps passion.
Sponsored