Porsche connect contract

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just got an email from Porsche saying "The contract for your Porsche Connect Services package "Porsche Charging Service (Taycan)" will end automatically shortly."

Does anyone know what this is? If I try to renew it, it takes me to a screen where I can renew for 12 months, and the cost is $0. Why make me renew something when it's free? I guess I'll go ahead and renew it, but I'm not even sure what this service provides. Anyone know?
Sponsored

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
You must be coming up on your one-year anniversary with the Taycan. I just had mine on September 3rd. The "Three years of free DC Fast charging" at Electrify America is actually delivered as a thrice auto-renewing one-year subscription. Your first year is coming to an end, and your second will begin. Look for an email titled "Acknowledgement of receipt for an order" coming soon showing your second year term. I got mine on 9/2/21.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes that's it, thanks. It's just odd that they make you go to the trouble of renewing something they provide for free. I actually have never used an EA charging station, but maybe someday...

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes that's it, thanks. It's just odd that they make you go to the trouble of renewing something they provide for free. I actually have never used an EA charging station, but maybe someday...
I agree, it's a little weird. I'm sure it's just so that they can sell one-year subscriptions after the promotion ends, or if they discontinue or alter the promotion, without having to set up a new product/SKU for a "Three year subscription"

You should go try an EA charger just for fun, and to make sure it works and you know how to use it. Better to do that now when you don't need to than find yourself in a pinch. That reminds me, I should go try it out now that I've renewed to make sure it still works!

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I agree, it's a little weird. I'm sure it's just so that they can sell one-year subscriptions after the promotion ends, or if they discontinue or alter the promotion, without having to set up a new product/SKU for a "Three year subscription"

You should go try an EA charger just for fun, and to make sure it works and you know how to use it. Better to do that now when you don't need to than find yourself in a pinch. That reminds me, I should go try it out now that I've renewed to make sure it still works!
I thought you said it's auto renewing, so there's nothing the OP needs to do. If so, why did you agree?

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I thought you said it's auto renewing, so there's nothing the OP needs to do. If so, why did you agree?
I was agreeing it was Odd, because it's weird :) It's not well described that the three years of EA charging is delivered as three one-year installments, and the notification emails that are sent around the service are sufficiently vague as to be confusing. Case in point: OP wasn't sure what the emails were, or that the service was auto-renewing.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is it auto renewing? The email said I had to renew, and it did let me renew. I didn’t see anything about auto renewal.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
You should go try an EA charger just for fun, and to make sure it works and you know how to use it.
Yep, my first and second experiences at EA were over the Labor Day weekend when it was free for everybody. My third experience it wanted money. I had to Google how the heck to get the free charging. But now I know, and have the dumb app, so when I'm in a situation where I actually need to charge I can do it.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I also thought the Connect devices provided the in car data services to support Apple
Music, traffic, weather, etc. Definitely worth renewing. Now, is it worth paying for after the 3 years is another story.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also thought the Connect devices provided the in car data services to support Apple
Music, traffic, weather, etc. Definitely worth renewing. Now, is it worth paying for after the 3 years is another story.
They use "Connect" as an umbrella term for a variety of services. In this particular case the OP was asking about the "Porsche Charging Service (Taycan)", which is unrelated to the infotainment system.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is it auto renewing? The email said I had to renew, and it did let me renew. I didn’t see anything about auto renewal.
I remember reading about it somewhere when I first picked up the car that it auto-renewed, and mine auto-renewed this year without me doing anything. If I look in the app now I see that my Porsche Charging Service is now active until September 2, 2022.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
There is a good chance that EA chose to do it this way for accounting purposes. On their books it most likely appears like they sold you a 1 year plan but then gave you a discount for the full purchase price. If they do this in 1 year increments it has a different impact on their sales and adjustments categories than if they did it for 3 years up front. GAAP rules!
Sponsored