Anyone thought of buying a Panamera ST vs Taycan Cross Turismo?

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Has anyone thought of buying a Panamera ST vs CT? Or, maybe you own one now and decided to switch? I get the major difference is ICE vs electric but curious to hear other thoughts.
Sponsored

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Panamera was never really an option, I wanted an EV as my next car through business because of the tax reductions involved with zero emission company cars. If I would have got an PHEV, then probably something with more electric range and a SUV would have been my choice, the Cayenne was an option but because of the short e-range I would have gone with BMW X5. When the CT was announced, it was perfect in many ways (great list of available options such as massage seats, night vision etc, all-electric, 4wd, higher ground clearance, more usable luggage space). Tesla has more range and speed in a straight line but lacks a lot on the luxury and fun department. The government sealed the deal for me with the incentives for EVs (what wouldn't I do to optimize my taxes).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Has anyone thought of buying a Panamera ST vs CT? Or, maybe you own one now and decided to switch? I get the major difference is ICE vs electric but curious to hear other thoughts.
I had a Panamera ST for 3 years and switched to a Taycan (currently waiting on a CT but hoping for an ST Taycan). Panamera was / is a higher quality car IMHO compared to the Taycan. If there was an electric Panamera I would have chosen that instead. Not sure there is room for both going forward.

OP
OP

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Panamera was never really an option, I wanted an EV as my next car through business because of the tax reductions involved with zero emission company cars. If I would have got an PHEV, then probably something with more electric range and a SUV would have been my choice, the Cayenne was an option but because of the short e-range I would have gone with BMW X5. When the CT was announced, it was perfect in many ways (great list of available options such as massage seats, night vision etc, all-electric, 4wd, higher ground clearance, more usable luggage space). Tesla has more range and speed in a straight line but lacks a lot on the luxury and fun department. The government sealed the deal for me with the incentives for EVs (what wouldn't I do to optimize my taxes).
That makes sense. For those wanting an EV + luxury + quality the Taycan is tough to beat

OP
OP

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I had a Panamera ST for 3 years and switched to a Taycan (currently waiting on a CT but hoping for an ST Taycan). Panamera was / is a higher quality car IMHO compared to the Taycan. If there was an electric Panamera I would have chosen that instead. Not sure there is room for both going forward.
interesting. was recently looking at a CPO panamera ST 4s (very low miles) and the car’s sticker was close to $150K brand new but the ask price was closer to $100K. I wondered if that higher original sticker price meant a more quality interior/car than the CT.

What specifically do you think is higher quality with the Panamera?

PCAR-KAISER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I’ve got an ST hybrid.
Absolutely love the car, looks good, fast, massive boot, decent range for commuting.
The only reason I’m changing to a Cross Turismo is the rules are changing regarding hybrid cars in central London.
I too think the Panamera is a more luxurious car than the Taycan, a bit like Macan vs Cayenne. Taycan and macan are the more “sporting” version. Panamera is an executive car, Taycan is a sports saloon.

OP
OP

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I’ve got an ST hybrid.
Absolutely love the car, looks good, fast, massive boot, decent range for commuting.
The only reason I’m changing to a Cross Turismo is the rules are changing regarding hybrid cars in central London.
I too think the Panamera is a more luxurious car than the Taycan, a bit like Macan vs Cayenne. Taycan and macan are the more “sporting” version. Panamera is an executive car, Taycan is a sports saloon.
thats really helpful insight

I guess you can’t go wrong with either the ST or CT

Your point about “executive car” vs “sports saloon” is also interesting bc I’ve read that the CT def handles better

PCAR-KAISER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag

Your point about “executive car” vs “sports saloon” is also interesting bc I’ve read that the CT def handles better
The handling of the CT is far superior to the ST. The Panamera handles like a front engined car, the taycan handles like a mid engined car, it also rides better.
The taycan is a much more fun car in the twisties, but bombing it down the motorway is what the Panamera was made for! You could just about make a case for having one of each in your garage…maybe

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Taycan is several times better as a driver's car than a Panamera. The Panamera is a big front engine car that feels like a big front engined car. The Taycan is pure magic comparatively.

The Panamera is a safer choice if you're not sure about dealing with an EV but it's not a fun car to drive in the least. It's certainly not higher quality, but some people prefer it's infotainment setup. I personally don't buy a 6 figure car because of the infotainment but to each their own.

We're talking a Panamera being like a 4/10 vs a Taycan at like 8.5 to 9/10 for driving experience. It's not close.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag

years ago, there were rumors that Porsche woukd make a midsize sport sedan based on the Audi MLB platform (ike the macan). Well they finally did - but as an EV on its own platform. +20k vs a 5 series sounds about right for the usual “Porsche tax”. Probably Would’ve been similarly priced had they decided to make a gas powered midsize sedan years ago.

the etron GT doesn’t fit as neatly/logically into audis lineup otoh

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Or get both. Already have a Panamera ST and wife ordered Taycan CT to replace her X5d, so we will be a two Porsche wagon household.

I plan to borrow her new car on weekends to run errands, limiting miles on the ST and trying to be more eco-conscious. ST will obviously be the long roadtrip car when needed.

Everything mentioned above is accurate - Taycan is better handling and materials aren’t quite the same as Panamera though pretty darn close. Visibility out front of the Taycan is better too which my wife noted while test driving the sedan version.

OP
OP

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Very helpful insight from everyone. Thank you for posting! I think I’ll stick to my plan of buying a CT vs. buying a CPO ST. The handling is extremely important to me and I think the CT just looks much better.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I came from a ST Hybrid. Great as a luxury sports wagon, but not nearly as fun as the Taycan. For me the Taycan was a nice sweet spot between a 911 and a Panamera.

My biggest complaint with the hybrid, is the car is really slow in electric only. So when commuting to work, and trying to stay in the electric mode, I felt like I had about 150hp. As a result it was hard not to kick on the engine all the time.

andrewh3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a Panamera (2015MY 221kW, Diesel, 0-100KM 5.9, PASM, Sport Chrono, PS+) and now have a Taycan 4S. Size wise, number of doors, badge - exactly the same , but that is about it! The Panamera was best on long motorway/freeway drives and was good if you have a lot of luggage. Could be very economical on a long drive (6L/100km). Taycan made the Panamera seem very old fashioned, really slow and heavy. Like comparing a Cheetah with a Rhinoceros - both fast in their own way but very different handling and directional change abilities. I agree, some of the switches in Panamera better quality (metal, prevision feel) compared with Taycan (especially door switches and the PND 'wand'), but I had standard leather in Panamera which is not as good as full leather in Taycan. Only issue with the Taycan for me have been software glitches (but even had these on the "Windows 3.1" Panamera...) and the low ride height in car park entry/exits - hate to think what the undersurface of the front spoiler feels like.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
interesting. was recently looking at a CPO panamera ST 4s (very low miles) and the car’s sticker was close to $150K brand new but the ask price was closer to $100K. I wondered if that higher original sticker price meant a more quality interior/car than the CT.

What specifically do you think is higher quality with the Panamera?
More spacious, better interior finish - contrasting stitching standard, better PCM (larger, better maps etc), scope for soft close doors, trailer hitch, rear seating options on a different level.
Sponsored